-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Greetings from Michigan where it's 86 and sunny with 88% humidity right now, July 11th!
I'm planning to stay in the middle keys the first week of August, and I'm hoping someone can point me to a good fishing opportunity. I can't swing a $700 charter, but there must be something like a decent head boat maybe?
Snappers & (maybe?) groupers are fine with me, or if there's an affordable way to chase dolphin? I'm not a fly fisherman, due to an elbow problem.
Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Tony

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dolphin are a bit tough that time of year but you can find them. You can certainly do some good tarpon fishing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i lived in the middle keys for almost 10 years. just above marathon on duck key. i was a back up captain at hawks cay resort. meaning when they were busy they hired extra boats with captains like me. i also had customers of my own.
so much for background.
there are excellant fishing oppurtunities in the keys.
that said experience with the area is crucial for success.
the summer months are the doldrum time in the keys. you should
be able to find a reasonable cherter. the best guides are usually booked ahead. most are very approachable and will offer
to help you find a good guide. offshore boats are very expensive nowdays. inshore boats are the best alternative.
im not talking flats boats, im talking 20 to 24' center consoles. one of the very best guides in the middle keys is
buddy lapointe. fishing buddy is his boat name. he lives on grassey key which is part of marathon. i would call him. if he cant help you he will more than likely point you in a good direction.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
yobuck-
Thanks much, that's very helpful. I keep hearing that if you get out to the drop off or the humps, dolphin can still be had. My guess is that party boats like the Miss Islamorada never go that far, so the best option is a smaller boat owner/operator like you suggest. I'll look him up.
I almost booked a room at Hawk's Cay Resort, but we decided to go with something cheaper to free up money for fun activities.
Good on ya,
Tony

-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forget the head boats unless that really is your max budget.
Snapper and grouper are bottom fish, Dolphin are not. Yellowtail are pretty popular in this area, easy to catch and mighty fine eating as well. I don't recall ever hitting Dolphin on the humps. That's usually where we head for Blackfin. The humps are 25 miles offshore so that's a long run that eats plenty of fuel.
I'd head to Bud n Marys in Islamorada or just Google their web site. I've fished out of there many times.
Have fun!

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
May-June are prime dolphin months and even then you have to hit the Gulf for the prize.

I've always caught fish off Seven Mile Bridge. You can rent a boat for a couple hundred bucks over a couple of days. Night fish for the big Tarpons.

There's a boat called the Deputy Dog at Islamorada with a great captain. If you're a party of one just cruise the docks for a party that came up short of the desired number. I've joined several parties that way and saved money. For a smaller boat look up the Grey Ghost at Grassey Key or Marathon. Local boy who gets out and back fast and will provide for some excellent bone fishing.

Take a day and hit Bahia Honda State Park. The only REAL beach in the Keys.

Have fun!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Stetson & byc:
I'm really just looking to catch some fish with my son while my wife and daughter swim with dolphins or some such thing. I had some high hopes, but I'm gathering from the advice here and elsewhere that we're just not going bluewater fishing without dropping $600 plus, and that's what I was trying to find out.
I know head boats are far from ideal, but if we can ride the Miss Islamorada out of Bud & Mary's for $60 each, how bad can it be?
If we go bridge fishing we need chairs, cooler, bait bucket, etc etc...
I'll be talking to a small boat charter guy about what kind of back country or reef trip we could do, too.
Its all good.
Thanks,
T
PS: Yeah, Bahia Honda is sweet. We're going back there to rent kayaks. Walk up the old bridge, too.

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I know head boats are far from ideal, but if we can ride the Miss Islamorada out of Bud & Mary's for $60 each, how bad can it be?"

Ever been stuck on a boat for several hours with a bunch of flat landers puking their guts out on a warm calm day?
Head boats are either fantastic or the friggen pits. It changes day to day based on the guests.
If your trying to do a budget fishing trip look for some one to take you on a reef charter for yellowtail and grouper. You will have a good time and you won't have to deal with other people. A full day on a 20' CC is in your budget or a half day on a larger boat.
There are a lot of options.
If your dead set on offshore you can call any of the Marinas and ask if they have "Make Up" charters where you can split the cost of a charter with another group but that will still be stretching your budget with a fair tip. ($6-800)
Fishing off a bridge is a waste of time unless it makes you happy doing it. There are boats that charge less that will just go set under or near the bridge.
Back country flats fishing is fun but another whole ball of wax.
I haven't night fished for Tarpon in years but IIR that's prime in early June.
Please send some fried Yellowtail and Stone crabs from the Islamorada Fish co. Well it used to be great but *ass pro turned it into a chain *ell restaurant.
I still enjoy shopping at WW sportsman

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We'd get along fine fishing, you and I. Last head boat I was on had a group of miscreants down the rail who were falling-down-drunk by 11AM. Fortunately the folks nearer to me were good people.
I have sent messages to a couple of small boat guys and also asked a few about splitting the ride with another party.
The reviews on tripadvisor .com are 90% positive for BnM's boat, and 90% negative for the one in Marathon, but I'm still saving that for a last resort.
Who knows, maybe my wife will decide it isn't worth $200+ to cozy up with Flipper and I'll have more cash to buy a better trip.
Stone crab isn't until November, is it? IFC is still pretty good, I always go to the one in Dania Beach before I board the afternoon flight out of Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood. Sure beats airport food...
Thanks again,
T

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The make up charter plan that Stetson mentioned is a pretty good idea. I have fished this way before. Keys charter boats, especially in the summer when things are dead, are always looking to "fill in" charters. If you have one or two, they can pair you up with a party of three or four and it works out good for everyone.

I was just in Marathon in June and stayed at the Sailfish Inn. An old German woman owns it. They say they have the "cleanest rooms in the Keys", from my experience, I have to agree. They are located just to the west of the Marathon airport and the rooms run about $100/night and they have a pool.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stone crabs do start in November. Just daydreamin on some of the great meals We've had setting on that cement Dock in a plastic lawn chair. smile The fried yellowtail was great.
We once had them cook up a fresh blackfin after a day on the humps. Great memories.
You can also try Whale Harbor Marina which is just a bit North of Bud N Mary's in Islamorada. I've only taken one charter out of there though.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
unless there are 2 grey ghost boats, it is not a year round boat. guys name is ned and he spends summers striper fishing in maine. he's also a back up at hawks cay as i was. he's a very good fisherman.
tackle shops would also be a good source of information.
i would agree the reef would be best this time of year.
florida bay would be a second choice this time of year at least for me. an evening trip might be your best bet.
call fishin buddy and hook up with him if you can.
you will catch fish.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks! I have sent an email to buddy.

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yobuck that's the same Grey Ghost alright. I didn't know he went to Maine in the summer. Makes total sense, however. The gals at the Bone Fish Resort (guess it's a resort) turned me onto Ned.

Good info---thanks!

I wonder if those gals at the Bone Fish ever ate the pig they had.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've got a charter booked for Tuesday morning. Anyone have an up-to-date fishing report for Marathon/Islamorada? They're pretty scarce online, mostly way out of date...
If the operator says we have to go 25 miles out to get to good fishing, I'm going to just tell him we'd rather do the reef/wreck thing closer in...
Can't wait to get there, because for the last few weeks, its been hotter in Michigan!

Last edited by sourmash; 07/27/11.

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.