Print Thread
Hop To
R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Hit the upper Columbia River in my float tube and managed to get into ALOT of rainbows( triploids)

Picked up a a few over 10 lbs.

I fought one for over 15 minutes and never saw him
He gave me quite a ride in my float tube. I ended up breaking him off because he pulled me down river and became too dangerous in a float tube

Used flies from the 24hr fly swap

Thanks guys!!!

Smoked up a bunch of trout and was quite tasty!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your trout fillets are orange? Ours are yellow. That's interesting. They're a lot wider back to belly too. I wonder how they got so different out there. Fast water? My friend worked for US Fish and Wildlife out there and caught a few trout and (white?) sturgeon. That would be a surprise to come across.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you saying that you didn't jam those fatties on your float tube's valve before taking the pics?

Looks yummy, glad the Swap's done some good.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could you post some directions on how you smoke? Like, do you cold smoke or hot smoke, do you marinate, things like that.

I have a Brinkman electric smoker and I use wet wood chips. Actually, what I do is grill in a sort of smoky atmosphere. Is this similiar to what you do?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm guessing you meant to address ribka, not me. But just in case I can be of assistance, I smoke by removing one Salem from the box, fliccing my Bic, and inhaling. grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

Triploids grow big and grow fast, that football shape is common for them.

Pigs for sure!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rob p:
I wonder how they got so different out there.

My take on the variations in size/shape is that a lot of it deals with food supply and the type of water fish occupy.

With a ton of food one can actually have fish outgrow or split their skin. Those are typically football shaped. I think they can grow soft tissue quicker than they can elongate the skeletal system. We see a lot of those in our under stocked lakes and larger high nutrient but slow flow rivers.

We have a "no name creek" in south central Oregon with both brookies and rainbows. The headwater run of about 1/2 mile is a near level mountain meadow with the stream being about 2 ft wide and 5 ft deep. Extremely slow flow. All the fish are football shaped. A challenging area to fish as one has to sneak along like a heron, dap or cast dry flies over the grass, and listen for strikes.

When the stream leaves the meadow, within yards it turns into a riffle/pool system about 8 to 10 feet wide with a much higher velocity than above. In as many yards, the fish take on a long slim shape.

I belive flesh color is mostly related to diet.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/25/11.

1Minute
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Nice fish! Bet that is fun hooking into one of those.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Generally what I'm used to seeing is the sea-run fish are usually that bright orange when they first hit fresh water. It's attributed to eating a lot of shrimp when they're in salt water. As they stay in fresh water, the meat gets lighter and lighter to where, like some trout, it's white with just a suggestive tinge of green. So ... a result of how much and what they're eating.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Brookies flesh here in Minnesota is very orange compared to Browns and Rainbows. I'm not sure why, I always thought that it's because they're Chars and not true trout. Same streams, same everything.

I've been smokin' quite a few trout this year. Hardcore, on the Weber grill whilst babysitting the heat. I like to try and keep it at about 210 and spritz the coals when it starts getting too hot. We use wet applewood chips for the smoke and it takes about 3 hours. Fantastic with crackers and dip...and beer.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,872
Posts18,518,060
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.