Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Concur and replace the IRS with the FAIR TAX

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Concur and replace the IRS with the FAIR TAX

The more I think about it..maybe elimination of the federal income tax and replace it with a national sales tax. At least that way we would get tax value for all the stuff we import.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The dictator is giving his next propaganda lecture at 0720 eastern.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Fair Tax or sales tax would be less costly for the government to manage and certainly more equitable for the general public as ALL would contribute. A huge problem with the current system is the about 50% don't contribute anything to the federal government and thus, are happy for them to spend more because they have no commitment. The current system is also fraught with loopholes and exemptions for many --- and what's fair about that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The biggest problem with the current system imo is that politicians can pick winner and losers, redistribute wealth and buy votes for themselves with our money. When the tax code is not a tool of the politicians, it is by definition more fair that what we have now.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Getting rid of ALL Departments and programs (except DOD at 20% of budget, Social Security at 20%, Medicare/Medicaid at 23% and Debt Interest at 18%) and you only have 18% left. This will not do the job!

WE all need to take a hit, and revenue enhancements (like eliminating legal loopholes that allow some companies to pay NO tax) are needed. These companies include Exxon-Mobil, Bank of America and GE. See: http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2011/03/ten_giant_us_companies_avoidin.html

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by GreenHornet47
A Fair Tax or sales tax would be less costly for the government to manage and certainly more equitable for the general public as ALL would contribute. A huge problem with the current system is the about 50% don't contribute anything to the federal government and thus, are happy for them to spend more because they have no commitment. The current system is also fraught with loopholes and exemptions for many --- and what's fair about that.

Yes, about 47% of US households pay no income taxes. See: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nearly-half-of-US-households-apf-1105567323.html?x=0

I know one person who has paid no income taxes for the past several years (at least 5) yet has an income of over $500,000 per year from municipal bonds. By the way, he is hoping that the US defaults on the debt so the interest rates in new bonds he'll buy will go up several points.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by djs

Yes, about 47% of US households pay no income taxes. See: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nearly-half-of-US-households-apf-1105567323.html?x=0

I know one person who has paid no income taxes for the past several years (at least 5) yet has an income of over $500,000 per year from municipal bonds. By the way, he is hoping that the US defaults on the debt so the interest rates in new bonds he'll buy will go up several points.

A wise man. So he has about ten million invested in munis. Nothing wrong with that.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Originally Posted by djs

A wise man. So he has about ten million invested in munis. Nothing wrong with that.

If he's hoping that he's a dumbass.....cities are far more likely to default on their bonds than the US since they can file bankruptcy and they can't print money....as the county where Birmingham is will do next week. And if Uncle Sugar is busted, all that revenue sharing that the cities have been sucking off of for forty years comes to a halt.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Originally Posted by djs

If he's hoping that he's a dumbass.....cities are far more likely to default on their bonds than the US since they can file bankruptcy and they can't print money....as the county where Birmingham is will do next week. And if Uncle Sugar is busted, all that revenue sharing that the cities have been sucking off of for forty years comes to a halt.

Well Steve, you probably would consider him a dumbass; after all, he is an attorney (corporate merger and venture capital) who has amassed a sizable muni portfolio. He carefully weighs the strengths of the individual munis he buys and in some cases the bonds are backed by city assets (that can be liquidated). He is also my daughter's father- in- law.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Buying munis can be tricky like many other investments. I'm not buying any California State issues.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't/isn't there a class of insured munis? If I recall correctly the ROI beat passbook but not by much. So I never paid any attention.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GOP House passed the bill with the balanced budget clause.

MOLON LABE
K
K
Some bonds have extra insurance attached to them. The municipalities pay for this extra layer of insurance. Problem is some of those insurers are now out of business for backing terrible projects. Always look at the underlying credit rating of the bond.
Rates aren't going to spike that high in my humble opinion. Maybe 25 basis points in short end and 50 on the long end for a short period of time before coming back down.

In the big picture a lot of the above needs to be done. Simplify the tax code. Wealthy people higher CPA's to find the loopholes and there all over the place, Warren Buffet pays an average of 10percent. Tax backet as they are except for those over 25 million. Increased by only 5 percent. Tough subject and no disrespect intended but True pension reform for city, state and military. The union comment about working crazy house the last year or last two years to get a higher rate just isn't fair. Know cops, firefighters that have done this. Yes you risk your life, but you chose this profession and shouldn't game the system. Same for military, maybe different pensions if ever in combat situation. I respect what cops firefighters and are military have done for us and are doing but tough decisions and cuts need to occur. My dad retired from navy after serving 26 years. Only one 3 month stint in combat. Retired and ran nuclear power plants at TVA after that for 20 years and now gets two really great pension checks along with free health care for him and mom rest of their life......Even they can't believe is hasn't been changed. Plus no federal taxes on military pay.
Entitlement programs.....welfare: can you say drug testing, would probably save some money there........

The 7 P's: Proper Preperation Prevents Pathetically Piss Poor Performance
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
djs....if he's that smart he's kidding about hoping for a federal default.

very few cities or municipalities have assets that have any real market value. Birmingham's host county is about to go under because of billions of sewer bond debt....and the bondholders are going to get poured out or agree to a total refinance, because they have no option.

I'd be scared motherless of buying munis now.....I expect to see a whole flock of municipal b'ruptcy filings before the year is out.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
GOP House passed the bill with the balanced budget clause.

Senate kills Boehner debt-limit bill - Democrats table GOP-baked House bill

This could get ugly.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Now is when Reid attempts to blend his Bill with Boehner's. I'd love to be a fly on those office walls. Senate has a long cluster-[bleep] of a weekend ahead of them only to maybe come up with a Bill the House won't pass. This is where the dem leadership will begin feeling their deserved share of the heat.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
djs....if he's that smart he's kidding about hoping for a federal default.

very few cities or municipalities have assets that have any real market value. Birmingham's host county is about to go under because of billions of sewer bond debt....and the bondholders are going to get poured out or agree to a total refinance, because they have no option.

I'd be scared motherless of buying munis now.....I expect to see a whole flock of municipal b'ruptcy filings before the year is out.

Steve - He does not like many city munis. Many of the bonds are state bonds and hospitals, and water/sewer works, etc. that pledge revenues to back the bonds. In some cases the assets themselves are pledged (I don't know the liquidity of a hospital or water works, but there is a market).

Oh yes, he owns NO California or Birmingham (AL) bonds. And again, he pays no taxes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bonds=Certificates of Confiscation. Give your money to some .gov entity with the promise of repayment at some future date-depending upon the revenue stream of course-at a coupon rate that doesn't come near to compensation for the risk involved.

Gold and silver gents. No counterparty risk. Anything else are just promises to pay. Check's in the mail, etc., etc.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Precious metals have storage, security, handling and assaying costs. Plus they are commodities that exhibit high volatility (up is good, down is bad). These take from any profit.

Remember the Hunt Brothers and their silver experience.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.