Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
jwp, your creds are established and I certainly wouldn't argue them.

I was re-directing the question back to R. Your creds are hands-on, his I'm not so sure about.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sorry, I did not properly understand

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Agreed, any bullet sheds energy going through flesh, some just do it faster than others....
A bullet strike is an inelastic collision, true dat, but when it hits flesh, isnt flesh an elastic medium...?

Mannn we could gack this one to death.. grin

Cool bears and moose BTW... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raisuli
derby_dude,

There is a lot to be said for through-and-through wounds. I would rather have big entry and exit wounds, especially where the critter plans on eating me. Without a CNS hit, you'll be praying for blood pressure zero, which is achieved by massive blood loss. The problem with bears is they have a slow heart rate. Therefore, let's hope it'' stop a Bearbucks for a venti with a double shot of espresso before it charges.

We're assuming handgun round here. A big game rifle will expand while providing through-and-through wounds providing wise bullet selection.

The only way to positively stop a bear is to break one front shoulder or possibly both front shoulders. I don't think the handgun rounds we are talking about for bear defense are capable of doing that. Certainly a solid will do that better than an expanding bullet.

If you really want to see what you can do against a bear with a hand gun get some old tractor or truck tires about the frontal size of a bear and have some one roll them down a hill at you and see if you can hit the tires.

Better yet if you have the space fix up a motorized target with about the frontal area of a bear and shoot at it as the target charges you. The target needs to be at a distance a bear will charge you and at the speed of a charging bear which is about 35 to 40 MPH.

If you can hit them on a regular basis you are go to go.

Barnes use to have a video on the type of motorized set up I'm talking about for teaching dangerous game shooting but I don't see it any more. It was a very educational video.

I think if I were a young man today I would set up a range for the express purpose of teaching dangerous game shooting.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Energy is transformed into other forms of energy, mostly thermal in an inelastic collision. Yes flesh is elastic in nature.That is why a high velocity bullet will cause cavitation in flesh. Also that is why high velocity with the increased hydraulic pressure is capable of leaving much larger wound channels than the bullet it self's diameter would indicate and why the large bores and large me plat bullets in handguns are so desirable, because of a lack of velocity

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

An excellent book on handgun terminal performance. I highly recommend it

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jwp475

Energy is transformed into other forms of energy, mostly thermal in an inelastic collision. Yes flesh is elastic in nature.That is why a high velocity bullet will cause cavitation in flesh. Also that is why high velocity with the increased hydraulic pressure is capable of leaving much larger wound channels than the bullet it self's diameter would indicate and why the large bores and large me plat bullets in handguns are so desirable, because of a lack of velocity

My sentiments exactly...

Might hafta check that book out as it looks like it covers all bullet types...most quantified work on the subject usually deals with anti-personnel loads and statistics...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I keep saying this is an argument that will go on until the last male dies which is better expanding bullet or solid bullet.

The expanding bullet guys have their theories and math formulas based on physics.

The solid bullet guys have their theories and math formulas based on physics.

The one thing we can all agree on is that animals have died from both types of bullets.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The key is to reach the vitails as long as the vitails are reached the outcome is the same no matter which bullet is chosen. The bullet that expands the least will penetrate deeper and allow more shot angles that will still reach the vitails and that is their advantage

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
common sense tells me, "if you poke a hole in the vitals it dies, if you poke a larger hole in the vitals it dies faster, maybe..."

The problem is that wounds are not always proportionate to the size of the porjectile used.

Because of pistols low velocity I am inclined to go with a larger caliber, but my own tests have shown that the 45acp does not penetrate 100% of the time against bone (especially steeply angled shots) due to it's low velocity. If penetration is the name of the game on hard objects (i.e. bone, wood, metal) I would go 9mm over 45acp. The 357 is a step above both of these cartridges in the penetration department.

I think penetration is the most important factor when choosing a handgun cartridge/bullet because handguns generally are vulnerable to underpenetration due to a lack of velocity and poor sectional density. So it all comes back to "if you poke a hole in the vitals, it dies"

The 25, 380acp, 38, and 45acp all suffer from poor penetration on solid objects. I think about 950-1000 fps with a decent sd bullet is the minimum for reliable penetration against heavy bone, wood, metal, etc and steep angle shots against hard objects.

If I had a choice between 22lr and 45acp for personal protection I would honestly take the 22lr, even if you think that is a ridiculous statement, because I know I can break a rib/skull at a steep inclined angle and reach the vitals.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 08/11/11.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

With most bullets in the 45 ACP penetration is limited, but the Buffalo Bore 255 grain hard cast at 960 FPS is a VERY good penetrator out of the 45 ACP

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

With most bullets in the 45 ACP penetration is limited, but the Buffalo Bore 255 grain hard cast at 960 FPS is a VERY good penetrator out of the 45 ACP

I had never heard of that load, but that sounds like fantastic performance out of the 45acp!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The key is to reach the vitails as long as the vitails are reached the outcome is the same no matter which bullet is chosen. The bullet that expands the least will penetrate deeper and allow more shot angles that will still reach the vitails and that is their advantage

Can't aregue that. Balance is the key to life.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Check it out. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214

Advertised velocity is 980. I chrono'ed them in my gun at 960, good enough for me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good stuff, makes me wish I didn't sell my 45acp. That's a mean round and would be fun to hunt with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude

The only way to positively stop a bear is to break one front shoulder or possibly both front shoulders.

With all due respect, the only way to stop a bear is to put a bullet in the brain or the spine, CNS is the only true 100% stopper shot.

Bullets tend to put a hole in a shoulder blade, not shatter it into 100 pieces. That and a shoulder shot is a broadside shot, a bear doesn't charge you broadside, he charges you straight on.

The real frame of mind should be, in a charge from a wild animal I should only count on being able to get off one shot, and what round would either do enough damage to stop, turn or subtantially damage the bear as to let me get off another shot. Oh, and you also shouldn't assume you'll make a perfectly aimed shot, due to dynamics of the situation.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spot on !!!!!! [Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by derby_dude

The only way to positively stop a bear is to break one front shoulder or possibly both front shoulders.

With all due respect, the only way to stop a bear is to put a bullet in the brain or the spine, CNS is the only true 100% stopper shot.

Bullets tend to put a hole in a shoulder blade, not shatter it into 100 pieces. That and a shoulder shot is a broadside shot, a bear doesn't charge you broadside, he charges you straight on.

The real frame of mind should be, in a charge from a wild animal I should only count on being able to get off one shot, and what round would either do enough damage to stop, turn or substantially damage the bear as to let me get off another shot. Oh, and you also shouldn't assume you'll make a perfectly aimed shot, due to dynamics of the situation.

You are right a charge would be front on and the chance of breaking one or both shoulders from front would be slim or none at all.

However, shooting a charging bear in the head probably would be just as hard.

Here's the videos I was looking for.

http://www.heymusa.com/http://www.heymusa.com/

I realize they are using double rifles not handguns but the videos of the moving target is the set up that's needed to practice shooting a charging bear. Shooting a moving target is tough. A bouncing and moving target is even worse. A friend of mine uses the rolling tire as a practice target because the tire moves and bounces as it rolls.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the videos.

Last edited by derby_dude; 08/11/11.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I seriously doubt any bearsthat I've heard of in the last decade... But you can bet there has been tons & tons of 200lb feral hogs killed here in Texas alone with those loads, & that's not counting California or Florida. Heck, I've even killed one with my old marlin bolt action 22 mag
Originally Posted by jw75

How many respsonders to this thread have taken a bear with a handgun? How many have used A 255 grain hard cast A 960 fps out of A 45 acp? how many have taken a 200 pound hog with either the 357 or the 45 ACP with the 255 grain hard cast?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Read the question again.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 50 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,281
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.