Print Thread
Hop To
P
pwking Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I never ever thought I would ask for tips on catching carp but I guess I have finally hit my low point in life. I'm in a carp tourny tomorrow and I've never caught carp before - I've snagged them, but never fished for them.

For what I know now, I need some small trouble hooks with the bait. I was told not to use weight (fishing in a lake) because they will pick it up and drop it if they feel the weight. I didn't think carp were that picky.

Any suggestions?

jk

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I learned a long time ago about carp. I was watching them take bait in a clear lake as a kid. They can suck up a bait and then expell it in about a split second. Sometimes they will be moving kinda quick when they are doing this and will pull your line which is how most if not all are hooked. However to do this right and really be good at it the trick is to have the bait on the end of your line without a hook and then tie the hook about 3/4 of an inch further up the line.

Carp have molars about the size of a small raccoon in their throat. I think that when they suck in a soft bait and it gets to their throat and is crunched they feel the hook and spit it out. With the hook an inch up the line they crunch the corn or dough ball and it's ok. Then they swallow the whole works. Also if they are swimming away they have the bait in their throat and the hook in their lips. Often when they expell the bait the hook changes direction and the point goes into the soft tissue. This is the perfect application for a small circle hook.

The key is to get them to keep the bait in their mouth long enough for you to realize that you have a fish on. They tend to suck in and spit out so fast that you will miss plenty if you actually bait the hook.

The other single best item you can use it a bait runner reel with a secondary drag for bait fishing. This lets the carp swim away with the bait and the "clicker" alerts you that the bait is moving. Once you hear the clicker you can close it and set the hook.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How did you do in the carp tournement? What was the best fish?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.