Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I promised you all pictures of the memorial service for the crew members on board the chinook that was recently shot down here in Afghanistan. I was only able to get one picture approved.

[Linked Image]

The crew of CH-47D 89-00175 call sign Extortion 17 were men that I was honored to have worked with here in Afghanistan. Just a few hours ago at 0630 this morning we were able to have a small memorial here on the FOB honoring them.

The ceremony was held at the Task Force Knighthawk Headquarters Flag Pole. The flag stood at half mast as three staggered formations of solders were individually called to attention and then to parade rest. Around the sides of the small gathering stood a few hundred soldiers, all in their own micro formations. These small formations happened without any orders to do so. You see, every heart here was centered on giving every ounce of respect to these men whom they quite sincerely call brothers. Every bit of order and decency seemed to automatically happen without anyone choreographing it. Truly a beautiful sight to behold.

The three main formations consisted of the three companies of Task Force Knighthawk. In the middle and closest to the Flag was Bravo Company. It was from B Co that these hero's came from. B Co is made up of two National Guard units, one from Kansas and the other from Colorado. Both units lost their brothers on that fateful August 6th.

Directly in front of me was standing (at parade rest) a Staff Sergeant that was holding in his hand, behind his back, a rosary. Through the entire ceremony I noted him taking long drawn breaths and continuously and methodically moving his fingers over each bead in that rosary. I wish I was able to capture that on film as it was truly moving for me to see.

Amongst the micro formations surrounding the ceremony were formations of Czech Soldiers, Jordanian Soldiers and Afghan Soldiers. They too were all standing in properly arranged formations out of genuine respect.

The Ceremony began with the Chaplain giving a prayer and asking God to help heal the brokenhearted. It was a beautiful opening and already many in attendance were beginning to shed tears.

Following his prayer the three main formations were called to attention. They then were called to render a salute with "Present Arms!" This salute was mirrored by every person in uniform in attendance, to include the Czech, Jordanians, and Afghans. It was held in place while our National Anthem was played. This is where MY tears began.

After the National Anthem was played the Task Force Commander gave a brief speech. He spoke about how these men spent their careers honoring every facet of the Army Values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. He gave examples of how each one of these men lived up to those values individually. They truly set the example in their daily lives and were indeed some of America's finest.

Following the Task Force Commander was B Co's Commander. Through a broken voice and tears streaming down his face he spoke of each of these men individually. Not just as solders, but as Fathers, sons, siblings, husbands, and to him personally.... friends. One such story he told was of the tattoo that CW4 Carter (the Co-pilot) had on his arm. It was a poem that said the following:

When I get to Heaven
To St. Peter I will tell
"Here I am reporting, sir!
I've spent my time in hell."

My heart crumbled when I heard those words, as I could honestly see him doing just that.

After B Co's Commander finished he was followed by five soldiers one at a time. Each one of them were the closest friends of each of the individual hero's. They shared stories of great times together, of how these men inspired them, and brought each of their unique personalities to brighten even the darkest of days. These stories were personal, so I am not going to share them here. They were meant for the friends and brothers in arms that served with these guys.

After these men shared their personal stories of their friends, no, BROTHERS, the Chaplain returned to give a brief sermon out of Psalms 62. Encouraging the soldiers there to seek strength from God, from each other, and from their families. The fight here is long from over.

Next was, and always is the most powerfully moving part of any Military Memorial for me personally. The roll call then 21 gun salute and the playing of taps.

For those of you that have never attended a Military Memorial the Roll Call is a tradition that goes way back to our beginning as an Army. You see, every day when you have the first formation of the day, it is for accountability. It's how NCO's and Commanders ensure they have all their guys accounted for. The Roll Call at a memorial service is conducted by an Officer or NCO calling out the names of their men. When the names are called Soldiers respond with "HERE Sergeant!!" When the NCO gets to the name of one of their soldiers lost, they wait for a response. Silence never sounds so loud or feels so heavy in that moment. They repeat the Soldiers rank, first name, and last name, and wait.....again.....silence. They then call out the soldiers rank, first name, middle initial, and last name one last time, as everybody longs to hear that "HERE Sergeant!". It never comes. In that last moment of silence you faintly hear in the rear a NCO say "Ready, Fire." BANG! "Ready, Fire." BANG! "Ready, Fire." BANG! Then the bugle begins playing taps.

I will freely admit by the time the Roll Call has begun, my eyes are misty. When that first volley of of the 21 Gun Salute sounds off I jump hard. Every time. I know it's coming but it still hits me like a ton of bricks. That is when the tears freely fall from my eyes. Taps has to be the most painfully moving sound for me to hear. It seems to never end as the litany of faces of friends and comrades I have lost appear in my minds eye one, by one, by one. Never Forgotten my brothers, never forgotten.

Immediately after Taps a beautiful thing happens that is uniquely Aviation. Four Helicopters flying in diamond formation conduct a fly over. This was done with an Apache flanked by two Blackhawks, and followed by a Chinook. When the formation got directly overhead the Chinook broke hard high and to the right. This symbolizes the accent into the heavens as it leaves the rest of it's formation. Stunning, moving, powerful, beautiful.

The next was the leaders of each of the military's present stepping up to the display in the picture posted and rendering their honors with a salute, a gift, and a moment of silence, before turning and paying respect to the close friends that spoke earlier in the ceremony. That concludes the official ceremony.

Still, the soldiers of Task Force Knighthawk are not finished. They form a line and one by one go up to the display and render their own personal respects.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother!"

My friends of the Campfire, allow me to present my brothers in arms who gave their lives in duty so that we me may cherish the very freedoms we enjoy every day.

[Linked Image] CW2 Brian Nichols - Pilot in Command.

[Linked Image] CW4 David R. Carter - Pilot

[Linked Image] SGT. Patrick "Hamby" Hamburger - Flight Engineer

[Linked Image] SPC Alexander Bennet - Flight Engineer

[Linked Image] SPC Spencer "Dunk" Duncan - Crew Chief.

May They Rest in Eternal Peace.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whew............... You brought us there.....(swallowing hard)Speechless.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GOD Bless 'em

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
With a humble heart I thank you, all of you, that have and do serve and sacrifice for my freedom and that of my family.

With tears in my eyes my prayers once again for the brave men and their families.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
HAJ, Thank you for sharing what is such a painful thing. It sounds like a fitting tribute to fallen heroes.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God Bless them and their families. You too HAJ.

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RIP, God bless them all.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you HJA for your service and sharing these moments with us..."God Bless them,their families and their ultimate sacrifice to the country they loved,may you and the rest of your brothers stay safe....Amen."

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With freely running tears I salute these brave men.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you very much for the update. May they rest in peace. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by prm; 08/09/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks HAJ.

Moving and heartbreaking. I'm truly at a loss for words at the moment. Godspeed to the men, their families and those still in harms way.

Heaven must be in need of these heroes. God bless them and keep them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get home safe and thank you for all that you do for us.
Lest we forget.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers on the way.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May the Lord bless and keep them and grant comfort to their loved ones.

Quando Omni Moritati
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Thanks for sharing HAJ.

Sgt. Patrick "Hamby" Hamburger grew up in Lincoln and graduated from the same high school I went to. Here are a few of the local write ups on him.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/military/article_988b7783-24db-5f56-ad02-29473211b3a7.html

http://journalstar.com/news/local/military/article_bc69d65a-6c32-53c7-bee8-d2b2e9257880.html

The dog handler for Seal Team 6 that was on that flight was also from Nebraska.

http://www.ktiv.com/story/15232249/update-south-sioux-city-navy-seal-killed-in-action

Last edited by NeBassman; 08/09/11.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are diminished. kwg

I shared this with my friends at Lightfighter.com HAJ. Thank you.

Last edited by kwg020; 08/09/11.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Men are in Good Company now. In the welcoming arms of our other Heroes. It's OK to cry now and I am.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My God bless them and you. May He bless all who serve.

Thank you for sharing your brothers with us. May they rest in peace and may God hold each one in His hands.

I have experienced the Final Roll Call firsthand and it is a soul-stirring moment.

Thank you again.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thank you for sharing this. Brave warriors indeed who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country. We should try to be worthy, but I am not sure it is possible. Thank you for your service and I pray you and all our men and women in harm's way come home soon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 33 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,882
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.