Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Our ph, Scott Bailey showed up this morning and was at breakfast. After introductions, we were off for the days hunt. My knee was hurting[from last nit's pool episode]. Scott asked if I was ok, and said we'd do a short look for some buff tracks. Indicating that it was only a 2 mile walk to the lake and the land cruiser. We took off, with our guns, trackers, and cameraman Mike. This was the only day of the entire safari that I very nearly got myself in too deep. As some of you may remember, I have arthritic feet issues. Prior to the safari, I was walking 2 miles each day in about 35 min. Well, after about 3 miles, we kept running into the river backups due to the high water on Lake Kariba. What was going to be a 3 mile walk, turned into a 7-8 mile ordeal. It was my fault. I had on a T shirt, short sleeve shirt, and a safari vest. Plus I was carrying my own rifle, all the way. By the time I finally passed the rifle off to one of the guys and stripped off the extra clothes, I had become very dehydrated, despite drinking bottled water along the way. The boys cut me a walking stick, and it helped immensely. My ego didn't want to let me have someone carry my rifle for me[never happened in my lifetime before]. The heat got up into the mid 80's, and besides hurting feet, I was cramping. Long story short, I made it to the truck, but was completely shot for the rest of the day. I learned a valuable lesson, at 60 yrs. old, don't think you can do what you did in your 20's-30's, because most can't. Anyway, after this episode I learned to speak up before I'd had enough.

We spent the rest of the day looking for hippos, and spotted a brute we called "king kong". We couldn't get close, but were going to look for him for the next few days.

Tues. dawned, and we went searching for buff and elephant tracks. I was feeling a lot better, but Scott said we would do a lot of track searching from the truck, before going in, to give my legs a rest. We were about an hr. out of camp, and spotted some tracks from a small herd of eles, that had crossed the road, this am. Scott sent the trackers out to look. They came back, reporting that there was a herd of cows about 600 yds. out in the jess. Off we go, on my 1st elephant track. To say I was excited, was an understatement. We worked our way into the herd[about 35 yds.] and Scott was studying them. Ya know, when yer that close to yer first ele, they ARE BIG SOB's shocked There was only 1 small tuskless in the herd. There was one giant old cow, that had a young calf, and Scott made the wise decision to get the hell outta dodge before we pizzed her off. Wise decision! We backed out and headed for the truck. Damn, I just got in up close and personal, to my 1st ele, and didn't crap my britches! What an awesome feeling....humbling, too.

We hunted thru day 3, looking for buff, and they were kind of scarce. We found some tracks, late in the evening, and decided to come back and look for them the next day. Three days of hunting and neither Dan nor I had fired a shot. We didn't care. This was such a wild and remote place, that each day was an adventure, and we were having the time of our lives!

Wed. morning broke cool and breezy. We were headed back to where we saw the buff tracks. Got there, and one of the villagers told Scott that the buff were feeding in the field, next to there village, the nite before. We started out on the tracks. Turns out it was a herd of over 100 buff's. We got close, but the wind switched, and they hi-tailed it. We stayed on the track for 2 1/2 miles. We peeked over a ridge, and Scott said get ready. There was a group of 6 cows, with a big one right behid a feww trees. I got on the sticks and waited. One cow stepped out from behind the trees. Scott whistled to get her to stop. She was quartering toward me at about 70 yds. I put the crosshairs on her shoulder about 1/3 the way up, and let fly. She hunched and almost went down. I reloaded, and she was away in the brush. Scott indicated it was a great shot. We eased forward, and heard a series of 4-5 death bawls. We got there, and she was down and out. I walked up and "paid the insurance" with a shot to the spine.

She's mine! My 1st cape buff!

[Linked Image]

Ingwe, notice the "bubba buddy" grin

[Linked Image]

It took 3 hrs. for the trackers to cut a road in for the recovery. The Ruger no. 1 did an excellent job. A one shot kill with the Hornady DGX bullet. It did an excellent job.

The next day, we went back to look for the herd, again. Scott spotted them, and they were moving. Dan and Scott took off after them. I knew they were moving fast, so I wisely decided to stay at the truck. They were gone about an hr. I heard 1 lone shot, followed by 1 more a coupla minutes later. I looked at the tracker and grinned. I said I think he paid the insurance. We both laughed.

We cut a track to Dan. He indeed had his buff. Another 1 shot kill for the Ruger no. 1.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We went looking for hippo. Went back to "king kong"'s area and found him. Watched him for about 4 hrs., but he finally gave us the slip. To date I'd probably seen 300 hippos.

Headed for camp, and decided to check one more spot. It was near a village in the flood plain area on Lake Kariba. Got down there, and there were two bulls in the water, near shore. The hippos were used to the villagers and didn't pay any attention to people. The villagers dissappeared, and all of a sudden this big ole bull comes out of the water, and just stands there looking at us. Here we stand with just binos...and nothing else! 2 head back to the truck for the guns and the video camera. Dan didn't figure he'd still be there when he got back. Well, he was! Scott told Dan that he'd have to back the shot because, it was almost dark, it was near the village, and the water. Dan gets up on the sticks and aims for the head, between the eyes. He fires, the hippo opens his mouth, swaps ends and starts running to the right. Scott fires, then Dan again, then Scott fires, but had a primer failure. The hippo is at the water's edge when Dan fires, again. He drops the bull in a huge shower of water at the shore line. Dan had his bull! What a show this was! We also captued the whole sequence on video!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P10006502.jpg[/img]

We go to camp to celebrate! 3 in the salt, and 1 to go....ELEPHANT!

We head out wed. morning, and find where a herd of cows had crossed the road, earlier in the am. We got on the track. Tracking was tough. Wind was swirling and leaves were covering the spoor. We tracked them for about a mile and a half, but it was slow going. They recrossed the road, and we took a lunch break. We had just finished when one of the trackers came back and said the cows were in a grove not 250 yds. away. Off we go! We get in on them and Scott and I ease forward. I'm really watching my feet so I don't step on anything that makes noise. There is one old huge cow under a tree about 20 yds. away. Another is off to our right at about 18 yds. I'm about to have the vapors, but get myself calmed down. The big ole cow turns, and we see 1 small piece of broken off tusk. No dice! Scott whispers that the other cow to the right is tuskless, but he says she is just average size. He said if I wanted to back out and go look for a bigger one, we would. Welll.....I thought about it for maybe 2 seconds. I thought about my feet, and dammit I came to Africa to shoot an elephant! Sides, average elephant in Zimbabwe heep big ele in Indiana! grin

Scott said to take the shoulder shot when she steps out, because he didn't want the side brain shot to pass thru and hit one of the other cows. She makes 2 steps to the left, and I got the crosshairs on herr shoulder. WHAM! I fire, and am reloading. What happened next came all at once, so bear with me. I fired, good hit. Dan doesn't know what Scott and I had said, so with the ele still moving, he side steps Scott and hits her in the lungs as she is going down, with a backup shot. As the ele was crashing, the big ole bitch cow turns, ears flaring and trumpeting, mad as hell. Scott starts shouting her down and told us to move back. We all move a few steps back, but the ole girl is still coming. Scott has his rifle up and still shouting. Finally, she pulls up, and the rest of the herd moves off. Whew! I had my ele! Scott indicated it was a 1 shot kill, as the hornady solid passed thru the shoulder, hit the heat/lung area, and passed thru and exited the other shoulder. I'm proud of myson for backing me, because we had talked about the scenario before, and I said for him to shoot if the ele didn't drop at the shot. The shot was about 16-18 yds.

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P1000666.jpg[/img]

ingwe, notice the bubba buddy again! grin

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P10006862.jpg[/img]

Dan and me.

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P1000678.jpg[/img]

Scott Bailey and me.

The Ruger no.1, did it again. The hornady solid more than did it's job. I'm one helluva happy camper. At 60 yrs. old, I got to dance with the zambezi ladies! It was a helluva celebration in camp that nite.

We went on hunting over the last 4 days. I was happy and contented. Dan tried for a hyena and a babboon, but no luck. Still, it was quite a father/son adventure. We went fishing one morning, and Dan landed a vundoo[sp] African catfish.

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P10007542.jpg[/img]

the catfish.

What an awesome trip. A huge adventure for both me and the boy. Here is a few misc. pics we took from the boat on the last evening, on the lake while having a booze cruise.

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P10007692.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P10007402.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Zimbabwe%202011/P1000739.jpg[/img]

Hope you guys enjoy the report. Scott Bailey and Mike Bugnaut absolutely made the trip. Anyone wanting to go to "Stick it in your Teeth" Africa, needs to take a serious look at Martin Pieters Safaris.

maddog

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
EXCELLENT!!

I shall raise a glass in your honor this evening! laugh

But I'll drink the cheap stuff, just cause of the Bubba buddy.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry, I exceeded photo bucket pic posts. A post script to the ele report. When we got to her, we saw she had a hind foot completely missing. Poacher snare. Scott really thanked me for taking her out of the herd. She had limped so long that her spine was completely crooked. The ole girl was completely emaciated, and her hip bones were sticking out.

Helluva trip. The guns and ammo worked flawlessly. Basically, three one shot kills, not counting paying the insurance.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That is as it should be.....a perfect African Experience..

My first zebra BTW was a gimper we saw while hunting eland...when it was time to hunt zebra I suggested we find that one...it took three days but I got the shot and put the critter down...poacher's snare as well...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nicley Done, Maddog! It appears your dance card was filled by some big girls. What a wonderful trip. You bought back memories of my first elephants. I could smell them but not see them, then I understood the definition of 'big.
Thanks for posting.'
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on the adventure of a lifetime and thanks for sharing it with us. cool cool

Last edited by hillbillybear; 08/13/11.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Superb report and some fantastic pictures. I'm still smiling. I'm glad that pool incident didn't change things. You and your son did it right,maddog. I'm tickled for you both.

Last edited by isaac; 08/13/11.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I enjoyed the report. Doing a hunt with your family is the best.
Memories shared with love ones live on long after we are gone.
I have shared two camps with Scott and enjoyed his company. He likes to get close to those elephant cows smile
Lake Kariba is view to be scene. The game in spots are not as plentiful as other areas. Roads are few but the wildness of the place and the vastness of the lake is incredible. Its a place I am glad to have experienced. If you want to see hippos, crocs, and elephants they are definitely here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congratulations Mad!

That top photo of you with your buff - wow - that's quite a set of horns. I like that photo the best, really shows off the size of her horns. Hope you are getting a Euro mount of that one!

That hippo is absolutely huge! What happens to the hippo ivory?

What a great trip. Thanks for the run-down on how the rifles and ammo performed. Looks like you and your son had an absolutely great time. I read some of your post aloud to my wife, and she was in stitches about your crash into the pool, then some of your other lines as well. Nicely done.

I know you've been looking forward to your return to Africa for some time - seems it's come and gone and you made a mighty fine trip of it. Congrats again.

Guy

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congratulations! Enjoyed your pictures and reading your story. Well done!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very nice and well done. That looked to be one fun hunt!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats 'ol dog. You finally full-filled your dream of dancing with the "bitches of the bush"! What a wonderful trip and experience to be able to share it with your son.

Did you stick around and take pictures of the recovery of the ele? I've heard and seen pictures that indicate it's a sight to behold!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads! great hunt & pics, my dream to hunt something in Africa one day! for now ill have to live it thru you fellows!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great report maddog!

It's also great to see another Hoosier in Africa. You're right, the smallest ele is still a whole heap bigger than bubba's last whitetail.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep, and if you don't do elephant right, they will kill you.

Puts a whole new spin on things... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great report and photos. Great to see the bubba upped #1 smile

I was having a nap mid day leaning up against a tree. I awoke sensing something was near. When I focused three ele's were walking in the sandy road about 10 yds away. I puckered up a bit but what remains with me is how absolutely noiseless they were. I was plains game hunting so am thrilled they continued walking.

Sitting on the ground they looked to me like three houses going past. I showed the tracks to the PH and tracker when they came back when I told them the story. They both got pretty excited. I guess they reconed I was a stupid tourist. They would be right.

Glad the #1's worked our. (Theere was never any doubt)

Good job

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well written and some very neat pics! Thanks for posting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
maddog--Very nicely done and congratulations. I'm happy for ya!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice Maddog.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Congrats on a most excellent hunt. I will be hunting out of that camp in almost exactly a year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.