Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Since I had it packed last night... this is an unwrapping of sorts. It weighed in at ~58 lbs last night with partial food and no water. I have it packed with all of my outerwear for October so my field run this weekend will be lighter. I did wear it around in the basement for 10-15 minutes and did not notice any uncomfortable spots.

Photos and some explanations follow. I will update this thread after I have it in the field.

Loaded. Notice the black straps at the top. These are extension of 1" webbing and some additional buckles.
[Linked Image]

Side view
[Linked Image]

Load sling view
[Linked Image]

Load sling opened. The top and sling covered the shelter (top left corner).
You can see the compression wings were used to contain the lower portion of the pack.
[Linked Image]

Compression wings undone and bottom folded down.
From top to bottom the stuff sacks contain
  • Food, water filter, FAK, 2L pot
  • Tools, parts, personals, batteries
  • Base layers, socks, etc...
  • Outerwear

[Linked Image]

Stuff sacks removed reveals the stove and folding saw. Green bag is the end plates, the blue stuff sack is the roll-up stove pipe, body, legs, etc...
[Linked Image]

Inside the tarp wrap is my thermarest and 0deg synthetic bag. Packing the sleeping bag like this spreads the bulk out over the entire pack.
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jipE-72kDuA/TkyVgXNUHKI/AAAAAAAAB6w/YZ93X2MG73E/s512/2011-08-17%25252022.30.40.jpg[/img]

Wrap removed reveals the camelback. The camelback is attached to the webbing at the top of the pack.
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eeFd0itJIys/TkyV7UGSSwI/AAAAAAAAB64/wY1j1hTPewk/s512/2011-08-17%25252022.31.29.jpg[/img]

Camelback can flip up and reveals the pockets in compression wing and the pack frame
[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DUg0ksKsDEM/TkyV5ZcDZqI/AAAAAAAAB60/YnUNnPhfrB4/s512/2011-08-17%25252022.31.52.jpg[/img]

Last edited by thumper338; 08/18/11.
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Contents of the pockets
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Using 20L drybag as if for a daypack
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wing pocket is large enough for a 27oz Kleen Kanteen
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wings open and empty.
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m4JmL-ULi5s/TkyXKhIYcVI/AAAAAAAAB9o/EpHnLXtcFDk/s800/2011-08-17%25252022.37.45.jpg[/img]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Load sling lower attachment point
[Linked Image]

Load sling stored
[Linked Image]

Compression wings can attach to far side for very small loads. Also shows the load sling stored
[Linked Image]

Attempting to show the waist belt attachments. Nothing on the lumbar pad side. Velcro on the other side.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Side view of stowed load sling
[Linked Image]

Pack being worn. Load lifters have a good angle for me.
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HcRJmNoW5rc/TkyY85pezBI/AAAAAAAAB7w/_ViZbyxCvuQ/s512/2011-08-17%25252022.45.19.jpg[/img]
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Vf8vkZJxl6g/TkyZbXKpXxI/AAAAAAAAB78/eGrfFaQm5QE/s512/2011-08-17%25252022.46.50.jpg[/img]

Non slip pad on lumbar pad
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y7xO3ds2Edc/TkyZnMDpLoI/AAAAAAAAB8A/gvnnNGtrGgw/s512/2011-08-17%25252022.48.10.jpg[/img]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice write-up and thanks for all the pics!

I have a feeling some on here are non-believers because of the low price. I may give one a try.

MtnHtr

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
One thing to note is that the harness is not adjustable. So it will fit you or it wont. With thier guarantee, if it doesn't fit it'll only cost you $6. 95 return shipping. Even used and abused they claim their 100% satisfaction guarantee. So i think that it's worth the $7 to experiment.

--thumper338

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thumper - what is your height and weight so one can have an idea of the fit?

Thanks,

MtnHtr

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am 6'4". My pant size is 38x34. Current weight is 245-250 though I'm working to drop at least 15 by the start of 1st season. I'll get DW to help with a torso measurement in a few. DW measured me at 21" torso. I'd say that you probably can't go much taller... ideal fit range is probably 19"-21" but might still work for folk on either end of that. Waist size under 34" will be challenged to get the belt tight enough to be effective.

Last edited by thumper338; 08/18/11.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
They will take it back no questions asked. I would recommend saving your reciept as that proves what you paid for it. If 10 years from now it needs to be returned they will refund you the full amount. Without they will refund you the lowest price they sold it for. LL Bean is very very good with their refund policy. I just wish more of you guys would return their cork decoys. I get them at the outlet store whenever they have them and the price is right even if I have to touch up the paint or replace an eye. With that said I never throw out a LL Bean reciept.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 08/18/11.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Loaded for the weekend.
Three days food + 3L water on board weighs in at 65 lbs. So far I haven't heard any seams creak or pop.

My initial though is that it feels a bit like it's hanging off my back more than the Kelty Cache Hauler (KCH) did, but it's been a year since I've had the KCH on and I don't have time to repack onto it to compare. The KCH will make the trip and stay at the car as a backup in case of failure.

I still need to sort out the chest pack attachments.

My goal for this trip is to explore new territory up to 4.5 miles back and about 1800 vertical feet gain. Drive up on Fri night and sleep at the trailhead. Hike in on Sat morning. Set up camp then explore lighter. Pack up camp on Sunday morning and explore my way back downhill to the car.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Man, I almost got excited until I saw it wasn't adjustable. I am one of those "vertically challenged" people. Nice write up though. I really want to try one of those type packs someday.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thumper, when you get a chance could you measure from the bttm of the lumbar pad to the top where the loadlifters attach. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I think it's 26" listed in the spec.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Another option for those who are cautious but want a do all pack check out the Hornhunter Full Curl, USA made as well if it matters.

Good Shooting!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well..I went ahead and ordered one. I like the concept.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just ordered one as well, free shipping too.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice review, great pictures, but the pack looks fugly, complicated, and a mess to deal with. Other than that it's fine. wink

Lefy C

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LL Bean has several good products. Especially if you can catch them on sale. I have the older version of their Hunters Day pack and like it well enough for the price. As mentioned before, it's hard to beat the return policy too.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Nice review, great pictures, but the pack looks fugly, complicated, and a mess to deal with. Other than that it's fine. wink

Lefy C

I'll take your fugly as functional+ugly smile

This style works for me as I generally haul in my base camp then hunt from there. I dont pick up and move every day. Everything is organized in the stuff sacks in a way that makes camp life easier for me. I always had a hard time with keeping things organized when using a top loading pack bag. In addition, I used to bring in a small daypack because my KCH was too noisy to hunt with. Now i should be able to use just this one pack and be able to haul meat without a return trip to camp to get the frame pack.

Done with dinner now and headed to the trailhead. I'll have an update with pics early next week.

--thumper338

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Looking forward too it. lefty might be reacting in part to the green poly tarp which is a noisy hard to pack monstrosity but very strong and multi-functional. I'm just going to put a soft pack inside the Bean... I have some olive ones that will look pretty good. The dry bags can go inside that. Set up camp and haul just the pack and survival day & hunting gear up the mountain.

It also looks like it will fit in my Action Packer that I drag in on the bike/rokon trailer a lot better than my frame pack.

I can't weight to take delivery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think I'm in the camp that would want to use it as the basis for a wilderness hunting pack. But for someone who wants to hike back a ways with a light day pack, or maybe someone who wants to bring along a light treestand on a hike while hunting, this sling may be something to consider in that you have something to haul back a load of game meat.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmmm... might work for lighter loads, but looks a bit weak on the frame side for truly heavy loads (over 85lbs).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I am way to old to carry much more than 85 pounds so it seems good to me. I'll give my younger partners the frame pack.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Quick update... I'm still sorting through the videos for clips about the pack so just some brief info here and some stills from the trip.

Overall I'm pleased with the pack and it will be my primary pack this fall. Until I have a complete hunting season under it I will have the KCH in the truck for backup.

Observations (in the order that the occur to me at this moment)
  • I am at the upper limit of the fit range for the pack at 21" torso.
  • The hip belt is not overly padded and it was quite comfortable. I have no soreness or bruising
  • I wish the hip belt used the Kelty style Scherer Cinch where you pull toward the center to tighten it.
  • I like that the load sling stores away when you've got a smaller load
  • The straps on the compression wings are a good length
  • The top straps on the load sling are too short
  • Load lifters were more like load snuggers. Tightening them had the feeling of brining the whole load close in to my back. If they were loose it felt like the load wanted to pull me over backward. I wouldn't say that it felt like my shoulders were completely unloaded like they can with the KCH. That being said I never felt like I was carrying the whole load on my shoulders. This may simply be a difference in feeling between and internal type frame and an external frame.
  • The polyethylene frame sheet is stiff. There is a three inch waffle like structure that runs between the stays from the lower back area to the top of the pack.
  • The stays appear to be riveted to the frame sheet. I don't know how feasible it would be to try and shape the stays.
  • The lumbar area has front/back flex and a small amount of torsional flex
  • I had a touch of soreness on the tendon at the front of my right armpit on the hike out.
  • 65 lbs was comfortable. To qualify this statement... I have not backpacked this year. I have only done one day hike with significant elevation gain. I have not yet lost any of the weight I want to drop. My hipflexors were sore especially after sitting in a car for 7.5 hours returning to Denver after a 2 hour hike on overgrown trails.
  • the load lifters and should straps seem to work loose. Occasional tugs on the adjustments were required to remain comfortable. This may be because the hardware could accept a thicker gauge of webbing that they are using.
  • I did not have any problems with the hip belt tension.
  • The pack was quiet

Interim conclusion:
The pack is a compromise between a true load hauler and a utility pack. I will feel comfortable hunting with this pack on as a day pack with the ability to haul a load of meat immediately. I know that I can haul my camp in and out with this setup for the planned distance and weight at my current level of conditioning. I do plan to improve my fitness level by commuting by bicycle to my new office location. about ten miles each way. I have no experience with packs like the KUL, K-LongHunter or MR nor can I afford to experiment with such packs without the generosity of others. For $79 the LL Bean pack is an excellent value for an entry level do-all hunting pack.

I'll have at least one more post of some video diary about the pack as I sort through the clips for useful information instead of my retarded ramblings.

--thumper338

Setup light for water and wood duty.
[Linked Image]

The wild flowers were amazing
[Linked Image]

Really there's a trail there... I promise.
[Linked Image]

What do I do with all the tarps I pack my stuff with? It doubles as shelter.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
great pics of your gear and especially the terrain........just gorgeous.....especially so since i've had .62" of moisture since Oct,2010.
2 mile hike in with what? 65lbs?
What was elevation change?

Those images really stir the desire to breakout the ol Jansport D3......til my 62 yr old L4 and L5 in harmony with S1 sing,"you're not a kid anymore".
Good luck on your hunt.......may Orion smile down on ya.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
2 mile hike in with what? 65lbs?
What was elevation change?

3.5 miles. 65lbs. ~1300ft gain from trail to camp. The camp is at ~8800ft

--thumper338

G
G
I'm looking for new backpack that lighter than older one.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mine came already and I have been toting 75 pounds of weight plates in the back yard with it and my Kelty Frame Pack. The Bean pack is very versatile and a great value. It won't quite handle a heavy load as comfortably as a good frame will but it's pretty usable. The lashing points/system really allow a wide range of shapes to be handled efficiently.

I'm keeping it.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Glad to hear it worked for you North61.

I'm keeping mine too and using it as my primary pack this year. I hope to bring a cow elk out with it this year.

I finally sorted through some of the video. Skip to 2:02 to skip a repeat of the pictures from the first post. I though that I should provide all of the information I could for those that have not read 24hr.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by thumper338
Loaded for the weekend.
Three days food + 3L water on board weighs in at 65 lbs.

OMG! It's OK to leave some stuff at home! :-)

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
OMG! It's OK to leave some stuff at home! :-)

This was a test run for 7day elk camp to test the pack... so included quite a bit more than one would take for an overnight.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Impressive nonetheless. Looks like a great deal on a pack.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been looking for utility pack that might work for hauling my smaller tree stands. My hunting buddy and I have two leases this year and will be moving stand more often than usual. Looks like this might work well. Appears that it may work for hauling deer/elk quarter and function as a day pack as well. I'm going to give it a try.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thank you. I am getting one of these to use as a daypack for my elk hunt this year.

I had a MR setup that was made by Camelbak (Cerberus) and added a flatbed and load sling. I used it for backpacking and carried out an elk with it. Soon decided that my backpack hunting days are behind me and I could never get my brain around the concept that it weighed 9 lbs before I put anything in it.

I have an L.L. bean Bigelow that I use as a daypack, and for overnighters with the Boy Scouts. It fits well and seems like I should have paid more for it than I did.

Last year I bought a Cache Hauler that lived in the truck and used the Bigelow as my hunting daypack. I did not get an elk so the Cache Hauler got returned. Had intended to do the same this year. Thinking this might be the compromise I've been searching for and it costs less than the Hauler.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one in transit, if you google "ll bean coupon" I found a code to get an additional 10-15% off when I ordered last weekend. Mine's due to be delivered either tomorrow or Wed.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the tip on the coupon. I'll probably wait a few days to order as I'll be out of town and do not want it showing up while I'm gone. If you have a minute, post your impressions of it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just received my Hunter's Carry all and thought I'd give my quick, first impression of the pack. When I first took it out of the box, the pack was just a bit smaller than what I expected but I quickly realized that the straps allow it to be adjusted to a nice size. It will be perfect for a day pack and even more if needed. The pack appears to be well made with sturdy materials and good stitching. More importantly, fits my frame nicely (5' 10", 36 in. waist, 190 lbs). The waist belt is a bit narrow compared to my other larger pack but, seems appropriate for the pack size. So far, I've only tried it with 40 lbs. and it handled the weight well and I think it work fine for transporting my tree stands and an elk quarter as well. By the way, it has a place to put a smaller 2 liter hydration pack as well. Based on the price, I'm quite pleased with the purchase.

For those that my want to use it as a day pack +, you might want to consider purchasing an XL compression sack to convert it to a fully useable backpack. I ordered a 46 liter, 2800 cubic in. Alps Mountaineering Cyclone compression sack that is a perfect fit for the pack and it even has a top lid like my other pack. It won't replace my Kifaru Longhunter but the hunter's carryall will work just fine as a hauler and daypack. If it stands up to the stresses of hunting (and I think it will), I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited by Biggs300; 09/14/11.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I can now safely say that this pack will carry a 140 pound moose quarter. Fortunately I only tested it over a 200 yard trail from moose pond to canoe. Though the pack was capable, I was less so.If not for a hastily cut willow walking stick I think I might still be there!

[Linked Image]
We needed to take this to the canoe. The straps expanded to surround the largest loads and there are so many straps that no single strap is overstressed. I did need to do some leaning forawrd to keep my balance with such a heavy load.

No shots of the pack in action...my son's camera crapped out on us. I have the canoe going in and 3/4's of the field dressing but nothing after this including some potential shots of a cow/calf in the water that would have been pretty great.

I do have some shots of the pack getting cleaned. The bathtub water has a nice red glow. The pack worked well enough that my hunting partner is buying one too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good report, and so far I am really liking mine. Have not tested it with a great amount of weight and distance but so far its a keeper.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SU35
Good report, and so far I am really liking mine. Have not tested it with a great amount of weight and distance but so far its a keeper.

Thanks.... one issue to be aware of is that the pack has a lot of open cell padding in the hip belt and back. You appreciate this when packing but it along with the nylon does absorb blood and smells. Mine needed 5 rinses in the bath with lots of kneading to get clean.

The absorption will mostly be an issue with the hip belt as the back foam is separated from the load by the frame.

First Rinse
[Linked Image]

I love the way the multiple straps and attachments allow you to grab ahold of any shape and hold it securely. It won't haul quite as well as a very rigid external..but then nothing does. It's a very useful hybrid and I'll be keeping mine. It's very compact and unique. I like it a lot.

Last edited by North61; 09/18/11.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, I was thinking to pack your kit and and then an initial load of meat it would work well.

I always have an DD external back at the truck.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Awesome!

Glad it worked out. Glad too to hear that 140# didn't break it. I hope i get the chance to put mine to work like that.

--thumper338

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Biggs - thanx for the input on the Alps compression sack......been lookin around for something along the same line.

Wish i had known about the coupon when i ordered mine..........

Thumper,good luck on your hunt........take some camp pics again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
North - what brand of detergent are you using? Have you used it in the past on pack bags?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sorry mate my wife started the wash..no idea what she used, just some brand of clothing detergent.

OK she just came in..it was, wait for it.....TIDE. Seemed not to have any harmful effects but we rinsed it out almost immediately.

Last edited by North61; 09/18/11.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Gotcha......i have some Sport-wash that i have used on stuff bags to wash the blood out of the material.
Think i'll call Bean and see if they have a recommendation.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Coupon worked for me, should be here Friday. I'm going to need some accessories to carry a rifle on the pack any suggestions?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TomS
Coupon worked for me, should be here Friday. I'm going to need some accessories to carry a rifle on the pack any suggestions?

I have a Kifaru Gunbearer on my Kifaru Longhunter pack that I plan to use on both my Carry All and K. Longhunter. I may even buy a second Gunbearer, since they work on virtually any pack. If you want your rifle at a ready to shoot position, the Gunbearer is hard to beat. Here is a link: http://www.kifaru.net/gunbearer_hunt.html

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the link to the Gunbearer, I had not seen this before. I do question the guns position, seems the scope is in the way of the arm - how does it feel?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've got this one.

http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

Here I am using it... on my other pack. I have it installed on the Carry All now.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The plot thickens - time to research

Last edited by TomS; 09/20/11.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have the gun slingers corral rifle holster and love it. I used to use it on my MR setup and have used it with my LL Bean Bigelow with no complaints.

I'm ordering the Carryall right now!

Thanks to everyone for all the input on this. Think this might be the thing I've been looking for.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TomS, I too thought the Gunbearer looked like the rifle may be in the way and even a bit clumsy. However, the barrel is close to the chest and the butt of the gun rides low and further back from you side. It distributes the weight of the gun nicely and carries well.

Last edited by Biggs300; 09/21/11.

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I am a skinny guy and ware 31 inch pants. Some say that the hip belt will not work for me. Anyone skinny have one let me know if it works for you?. Second the shoulder straps look thin and for me that is good because I would hunt with it on and need to be able to get my rifle butt in place. Anyone who has one do you find that you can get the rifle butt in place well with the shoulder straps. Some packs have such thick and stiff shoulder straps that it is very hard to feel like you have the gun in your shoulder pocket. Any feedback on these points would be great. Greg

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Got the pack today, this thing is going to extraordinarily useful, going to get 3 comp sacks(SM MED LG), and a gun bearer type thing and I'll be set

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gwl
I am a skinny guy and ware 31 inch pants. Some say that the hip belt will not work for me. Anyone skinny have one let me know if it works for you?. Second the shoulder straps look thin and for me that is good because I would hunt with it on and need to be able to get my rifle butt in place. Anyone who has one do you find that you can get the rifle butt in place well with the shoulder straps. Some packs have such thick and stiff shoulder straps that it is very hard to feel like you have the gun in your shoulder pocket. Any feedback on these points would be great. Greg

gwl,I too am a skinny guy and just recieved my pack today.My waist is about a 32 and the waist belt just fits me adjusted all the way up so not sure if it would fit you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just ordered one.
$80 and a money back guarantee........
Why not?

Thanks all for the write ups.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
May be to big for me so I will need to go on beer and pizza diet. Always picked last for sports and now this.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gwl
May be to big for me so I will need to go on beer and pizza diet. Always picked last for sports and now this.

gwl,It may fit you.If I were you I would order it and if it is too big send it back.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I haven't been brave enough to dismantle mine yet but it does appear that the waistbelt is removable. Maybe it can be altered or replaced with a K or MR belt.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is probably the easiest backpack to adjust and/or dismantle that I have. Just wish my Kifaru was as easy.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I carried mine all weekend hunting elk in Central Utah. I picked up a dry bag that I threw a jacket, my lunch, and my game processing stuff in and carried that with my Camelbak strapped in it. Worked well but was unable to use it as a game hauler. My $0.02 is that this is a pretty amazing pack that I intend to keep.

I am no longer "backpack hunting" but still cover a lot of ground using backpack hunting principles. I think this pack could do either.

Last edited by Miner; 10/11/11.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I carried mine all weekend hunting elk in Central Utah.

??? Did you find the pack buckles noisy?

Have not tried mine yet but will this weekend on a deer hunt.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got over 6 hiking miles on mine with a variety of gear stowed in the pack, as well as in compression sacks and dry bags and haven't found the buckles, nor the material to be noisy at all. I know, I keep jumping in this thread but, I just can't say enough about the utility of this little pack. OK, I'll shut up now.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The buckles are only noisy when you forget to use the hip belt as did I on a scouting trip this weekend - very light pack/w camel-back, warm layer, and lunch. Versatile only starts to describe the value of the pack

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
No the buckles were not noisy. Amazing pack when considering the price. I do not think it could haul what my MR could, but I think either can carry more than I can.

I put my Gunslingers Corral Rifle Holster on the delta strap and even that worked well.

Biggs, please keep jumping in. Discussion is good.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Carried out an elk this weekend, pack is stronger than I.,

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TomS
Carried out an elk this weekend, pack is stronger than I.,

EXCELLENT! Any photos?

I did not have such luck this year. Looking forward to next years adventures.

I'm glad that many have found this to be a capable pack.

--thumper338

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I personally love packs that have the ability to detach a bag very quickly. Why worry about compressing a pack for day use when you can just ditch most of the pack.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by thumper338
[Linked Image]

Very useful report!

A friend is looking for a skinning knife like that (LOTS of belly -- "can't have too much belly" according to him).

Could you tell me the make of that skinning knife (and perhaps model, if they make several)?

John

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jpb

A friend is looking for a skinning knife like that (LOTS of belly -- "can't have too much belly" according to him).

Could you tell me the make of that skinning knife (and perhaps model, if they make several)?
John

That was a Columbia (like the sportswear). I used to work for a company that did phone and Internet service for a major Columbia distributor and when they discontinued their cutlery line they let us have some picks from the demo closet. The combo hatchet/knife in the picture is also columbia.

I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.
PM me... I can dig around and see if I don't have another one in my stash.

--thumper338

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (3333vl, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 16 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.