-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, over the lunch hour I went to the local archery pro shop (a really good guy owns the place and it is a small local shop so I try my best to support him...) and I drooled all over the new bows in there. Right now I am shooting an old PSE that is in need of being retired. Well I went home and try as I might, I couldn't justify dropping the money to get a brand new bow. So here is what I did (tell me if you think it'll do for a season):

Replaced old pin sight with a PSE F-18 fiberoptic sight,
Replaced flipper rest with a Whisker Biscuit Deluxe.
Replaced old quiver with a new Kwikee Kwiver.
Replaced old Easton Aluminum's with new Easton Graphites.
Put on a new bow sling (fleece).
Upped the draw weight to 65#.

The only thing that I didn't do was get a quick release. The bow I am shooting is already at the shortest draw length and a release just wouldn't work for me. All told, I spent about $180 CAD (about $140 US) on these. My thinking is that I will hunt with it this year at least and then upgrade the bow. I'll already have all the accessories, so the cost will be spread out over a longer period of time. I just shot about 50 arrows after I had the work done and I was getting about 4" groups at 20 yards. I know that I can do better, but I haven't been shooting in about 4 years so I need to get comfortable again. What are you guys' thoughts? Did I pick some good upgrades?

Oh yeah, I also stayed with the Thunderhead 125 broadheads...

SS

Last edited by SamSteele; 08/16/05.

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive found that altho I own 7 bows I tend to use only three on a regular basis and only two consistantly, yet I found its constant practice with those two or three bows that allows you to pick up almost any bow of similar size, weight and draw and shoot at least a reasonable group.
all my bows are 31"-32" draw and 75-80 lbs, and all shoot the carbon arrows quite satisfactorly
I think your choice to stay with the original bow may be a smart one PROVIDED it suits your style and draw length and your compfortable with the equipment....I know when I shoot my partners 80 lb bow with his 28" draw its very difficult to adjust my style to the shorter draw length, and the release you use and where you anchor needs to remain constant!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam, you did it right buddy. Hunt with confidence now. YOu will enjoy the speed and durability of the carbon arrows and you will love the whisker Biscuit. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. Now I just need to get more consistent shooting fingers. It seems like I can get two out of three touching and the third one flies wild. Obviously, the more tired I get, the worse the groups are. My shoulder is in need of some practice. I've been sitting in front of the TV drawing my bow to get my shoulder back where it should have been. Hopefully I can get things where they should be before the beginning of Sept. Deer season starts here in exactly three weeks. As this will be my first season actually hunting big game with a bow, do you guys have some tips?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yeah!
(1) practice wearing EXACTLY WHAT youll wear durring a hunt! untill your really sure you can hit targets at the 35-40 yards thats usually maximum youll need to shoot at.
I can,t believe how many guys get out into the field and find some part of thier equipment makes shooting from field positions difficult

(2)watch the wind! you want to be aware of your odor trail and try to keep it out of the area youll walk or shoot into

(3)camo HELPS a good deal in many areas, but movement and noise are also necessary to keep under STRICT control. don,t get siluetted and try to stay in the shadows

(4)it makes no sence to hunt where theres no game, do the research to be sure your hunting in a CURRENTLY "HOT" AREA

(5)the further you get from the roads and other hunters the more your chances increase in many areas, don,t be afraid to get at least 1.5 miles from roads as most hunters DON,T

(6) use topo maps) to find potential natural terrain funnels and water sources and areas that are easily accessed you need to stay out of, this info can up your odds

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 1minute, 16 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.