Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I was bored today and did some research on mcmillan stocks since I'll have my first one in a few days (maybe a week or less). I ran across a thread utah708 posted a couple of years ago. I'd like to bring it up here in the hunting rifle section if you guys don't mind. I found the information exceedingly helpful. I've always been a huge pre 64 model 70 fan and there's a reason, they just fit me like a glove. I know I've said this so many times before. My most recent fwt handles so nice you'd think it was a fine shotgun. It pulls up and its just there, right where I want it. Anyways this template utah708 posted in another thread called "Photo essay of McMillan stocks for Model 70" has intrigued me:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Photo_essay_of_McMillan_sto#Post5534487

I know a lot of you guys have already seen this thread, but I'm pretty sure many have not and it is too valuable of information to leave left in the archives. Here are some pics of some of my rifles using the same template utah708 describes. I'm pretty sure this info will help some of you guys decide which stock shape (drop at comb/heel) combos you like and what you will want to look for in a custom stock. Take a look at some of the pics of some of the factory stocks and then you can compare them to the mcmillan's utah708 has listed in his original thread. Hope this helps you as much as it has me:

Pre 64 model 70 std weight 24" barrel:
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 model 70 fwt 22" barrel:
[Linked Image]

SC model 70 fwt 308 with 22" barrel:
[Linked Image]

Winchester model 70 Extreme weather long action (30-06) 22" barrel (with B&C stock):
[Linked Image]

Winchester model 70 classic sporter with factory tupperware (Long action) 24" barrel:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's another one, FN PBR XP 300 wsm with 24" barrel (hogue overmolded stock):
[Linked Image]

Thanks utah708.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
winchester slut

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
winchester slut

cry. I just showed the winchester model 70's because utah's original thread was titled "Photo essay of McMillan stocks for Model 70". This template would work for rem 700's too if it makes you feel better grin

BSA MAGA
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
bsa, It's good to be bored at times. One can get some cool things done. Thanks for the post!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Utah708 is the one to thank, I just added to it a little grin. Ask gunnut308, I'm an oddball but I do like the pre 64 model 70's in their original form. Maybe its my fat face or that I shoot left handed, I don't know but for whatever reason they just feel right to me. The mcmillan stock I just bought from Dan360 has that classic drop at the heel shape that I think I'll fall right into. As you can see the extreme weather has more of a parallel comb which some guys like. I just don't find them as comfortable for lining up sights and having that natural pull up and shoot feel to them.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just for chitz and giggles I took a pic of my bsa model D (sporterized m1917) to see how it fares since it is one of my favorite rifles. I'll compare it to utah708's rifle with the mcmillan compact edge:

[Linked Image]

McMillan Compact pattern 22" barrel
[Linked Image]
(This was taken from Utah708's original thread)

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.