Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'm courious, instead of going to a church to worship do Christians have alters at home to worship? I'm think like Pagans, Witches, Zen/Buddhists, etc.

As has been mentioned a number of times, Christians can worship anywhere. But a place where we worship is not a church. I worship in a building that is partly a medical center and partly a school. So does the rest of the church that worships with me.

Isn't my bed a kind of altar when I kneel beside it to pray? Some Christians have altars at home for personal or family worship, but they generally don't do that "instead of" church.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If our minds are too limited to grasp how Christ could at the same time be fully God and fully man
Not to be presumptive, but the understanding that Christ was fully God is the precurser to understanding how he can also be fully man. His will is supreme and His only limitation is perpetual Truth. He has taken on the form of man many times prior to the advent of Christ. A disconnect may arise from understanding "why" He would want to set aside the Glory of Heaven and lower Himself to be a part, even the most blessed part, of a sinful humanity. That too can be understood or somewhat apprehended in accepting His Love for us is a Love unlike any other which also helps us with the concept of Grace.

wouldn't our minds be too limited to grasp how the sovereignty of God could co-exist with the free will of man?
No. They co-exist because it suits His plan and His will. He reigns Supreme and forever. Humanity as we know it now is as temporal as a puff of smoke in the wind.

Almost everyone who has studied this knows that they are inadequate to understand it
What we understand is we cannot understand it all because we are not given the information to do so. It has little to do with adequacy.

Couldn't God call one denomination into existence precisely because a certain emphasis had been neglected?

That is supposition and in fact He doesn't need to. The Truth of Gospel is compelling enough for men to pursue it, at least when they have the opportunity to learn of it, and that has given rise to denominations. None of which to date have embraced it's entirety and likely won't until His return when His are changed from the corruptible to incorruptible.

Those flaws might cause some to run farther and harder than they should with a certain viewpoint. So what?
Leven is what.

When a person is hurt by a church on these issues or others, it's usually ignorance that does the hurt.
I don't think so. People can recognize and often will forgive ignornace. The kind of hurt that drives people out of churches comes out of pride, ususally of the meanspirited and/or self-promoting variety.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Remember this -- the people on both sides of the pulpit are broken.

Yeah, well.....those who advocate kicking people out of a church because they live together or because they got a divorce or because they're a 'sinner' don't see it that way.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RickyD, without a long post, let me just say I understand your points, but we're speaking to the issue on different levels. In at least one case, your answer isn't an answer because it states as a conclusion what was already assumed.

None of which to date have embraced it's entirety and likely won't until His return when His are changed from the corruptible to incorruptible.

With that, I agree completely.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm courious, instead of going to a church to worship do Christians have alters at home to worship? I'm think like Pagans, Witches, Zen/Buddhists, etc.
I don't. Altars are for sacrifice. I have no need to sacrifice on an altar as the sacrifice for me has already been made on the Cross.

Many churches have communion tables which some may interpret as altars. They are more of a convenience for dispensing the emblems than for worship in my view.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

As has been mentioned a number of times, Christians can worship anywhere. But a place where we worship is not a church. I worship in a building that is partly a medical center and partly a school. So does the rest of the church that worships with me.

Isn't my bed a kind of altar when I kneel beside it to pray? Some Christians have altars at home for personal or family worship, but they generally don't do that "instead of" church.

Steve

Hum, interesting.

When I was a Catholic, "The Church" was the body of Catholics ruled over by the Pope and his clergy.

The consecrated building that Catholics worshiped in was "the church".

I looked up the word "church" and the dictionary says the building where Christians worship and/or hold services. The Church is also the body of Christians.

I guess no one can be a solatary Christian like the hermits and Fathers of the Desert were back in the day.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyD
I don't. Altars are for sacrifice. I have no need to sacrifice on an altar as the sacrifice for me has already been made on the Cross.

Many churches have communion tables which some may interpret as altars. They are more of a convenience for dispensing the emblems than for worship in my view.

So many churches don't have consecrated alters any more like the Catholics do or did or the mainstream Protestant churches do or did?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Very true. The cross is the penultimate altar. However, some churches have kneeling rails at the front that they call altars. They're for "presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice." I see no problem with that, per Romans 12:1.

It has been a long time since I participated in one of these campfire discussions on religion. Now I remember why. They never seem to end.

Steve

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It has been a long time since I participated in one of these campfire discussions on religion. Now I remember why. They never seem to end.

Sorry. Don't mean to be picking on you. I do enjoy the discussions but have little time for them. In a week I lose my job and will have more, though I hope to spend more time in His word and less with my own. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry. Don't mean to be picking on you. I do enjoy the discussions but have little time for them. In a week I lose my job and will have more, though I hope to spend more time in His word and less with my own. wink

No offense taken. One reason the discussions go on is my fault -- I participate in them. I spend more time doing this than I ought, at the expense of things both more urgent and more important.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyday Hunter,

To me it is important that folks like you and Ricky D post. I learn from you guys and assume other do also.

Thanks for taking the time.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
God also wants Christians to have fellowship with other Christians for good reason. Rub a clean rag together with a dirty rag and see which one changes.
I'm going to remember that and use that, really good analogy.

mm

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In my mind, the Church should be a hospital at the gates of hell, but many times I have seen that Christians are the ones that shoot their wounded. I have a degree in Pastoral ministries (whoop-dee-doo...I know), and have spent a great deal of time in church and study of the Bible. I don't have the answers, but God does. He changed me around so much that I am no longer anything like I once was. Have I arrived? NO!. Salvation is an event, but it is also a life-long process of growth. There are no perfect churches that I have seen yet. There are some really great ones, but not perfect. One thing is sure...if a church is perfect, it will cease to be the very minute that I walk in the door. I have grown a lot through fellowship with the Brethren over the years. I have been run off from more than one church, as I am not shy about speaking out when I know that non-Biblical things are coming from the pulpit. If a church is adhering to the Bible...that is the main thing to me. I am not interested in slick sermons or man's philosophy. I look for a place to serve, as my Master was a servant, and I want to emulate/immitate Him. I don't go around looking to find fault with any church, but I do follow the admonition to beware of false teaching and preaching, as there are certainly many wolves in sheep's clothing. I enjoy teaching the Bible to younger or newer believers, because I can possibly help them avoid some of the pit-falls that I fell into as a new believer.

If you have been planting bad seed, after a season, you will reap bad fruit. If you are suddenly changed, and begin planting good seed, after a season, you will reap good fruit. BUT...if you broke the law and had a court date before you got saved...you still have to go to court. The bad fruit that keeps coming when a person first gets saved, can sometimes be hard for new brethren. I encourage them to keep planting good seeds, and to wait for the season to catch up to them.

And never forget...you are a part of the church...do what you can to make it the kind of church that would bring a smile to our Lord's face. Overcome evil with GOOD! Delight yourself in the Lord...and He will give you the desires of your heart! He may give you the kinds of desires that you should have in your heart, or, if your desires already line up with His will, He will give them to you willingly.

It is very much worth it to serve God and to love Him with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength. He has given my life purpose, meaning, peace, and satisfaction. He has blessed me beyond measure. I sleep well, and only seldom have any trouble facing the man in the mirror...and when I do...I go to Him...for confession and forgiveness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Ringman
OK, then we disagree on that. Im OK with it.

Ringman has Paul confused with God. God is GOD, Paul was the first in a long line of preachers. Not apostles, not disciples, preachers.

Preachers are people.

Sycamore

According to every bible I have seen, Paul was an apostle.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Yes, and the author of thirteen of the twenty-seven books of our New Testament (about 32% of the text.) Paul was a preacher, but he was no mere preacher.

Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ringman has Paul confused with God. God is GOD, Paul was the first in a long line of preachers. Not apostles, not disciples, preachers.

Preachers are people.

Sycamore

Yep. Paul took the place of the lost one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's interesting, with all the mentions of Pharisees, that Paul had been a Pharisee before he was transformed -- and apparently also a member of the Sanhedrin, the Jewish ruling council that conspired against Jesus. I sometimes wonder if Paul (then Saul) was the "rich young ruler" who "went away sad" because Jesus demanded so much.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The problem is that people shop for a church that fits them. They don't shop for a church that fits the Bible.

Right!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Preachers are people.

Sycamore

Uh, if you look in the books Paul wrote, yes.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

According to every bible I have seen, Paul was an apostle. [/quote

Uh, if you look in the books Paul wrote, yes.

Sycamore

Uh, where should I look in order to find the truth?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.