B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The A-Bolt is very tough to out do.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out of curiousity, does anyone know what Ruger actions(short vs long) weight versus other bolt actions such Remington (short vs long) and Winchester (Short vs long)?

Because, I'm only gong from memory here, but thought the ruger actions were about 4oz or 5oz heavier than their comparable counter part. But I admit, tha I maybe way off on weight differences.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger actions are pretty light....not quite as light as a 700 , but considerably lighter than M-70 s .

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought my first Remington 700 in 1969 or 1970. I bought my Ruger 77 in 1972. I bought my first M70, a Classic, in 1993. Today I still have one 700, and one 660 Remington. I still have the original Ruger 77 and my M70 Winchester.
In time, with use, all of them get nice and slick, particularly the Winchester M70.
As to stock fit and "feel," that depends on what model. The standard BDL Remington is not even remotely the same stock as their Classic or their Mountain Rifle, for instance.
Balance depends on what barrel contour the rifle has. Again, a big difference between the Remington 700 in 7mm Magnum and a Mountain Rifle in .280. Yes, I've owned both.
Then, of course, scope selection can also affect balance.
All of them are capable of first class triggers. The only one I had to have rebuilt was the trigger on my current Remington 700. Both the tang safety Ruger and the M70 Classic have had nothing more than a good trigger job done to them.
When it comes to putting up with tough conditions, the Remingtons take a back seat. Allow a little crud to get into the trigger group, via the safety slot, and you can have serious trouble. Either a really crappy tigger break, or a safety that doesn't work. The bolt release can also stop working. Good luck when it locks open and won't stop the bolt.
I had a handload once that was so hot it blew the primer right out of the case. The old tang safety Ruger ejected the case w/o undue effort. Would have also fed another round if the spent primer hadn't stopped it from chambering. Try that sometime with your Remington(s). Have a mallet handy to help open the bolt. Pray the bolt handle stays put. Rugers, BTW, are built with a one piece bolt.
As has been said, to each his own. I still hunt my Remington(s). But I trust my Ruger, 98 Mauser and my M70 Classic more. E

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is CRF really that good?

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm not convinced that CRF is really necessary. My old Ruger, for instance, is a push feed. But the non rotating claw extractor and the fixed blade ejectors of the 98 Mauser and like actions have been pretty impressive to me. Given a choice, I'll take those over the common punger ejectors and the hook style extractors found in most rifle actions today. A good solid bolt stop, like the 98 Mauser, as opposed to the Remington and especially the old trigger release designs of the older Weatherbys is another plus. E

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Better than good!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxer- asking that question will inevitably get you someone referring to CRF as a must for a dangerous game rifle. Perhaps massive cartridges require it -I don't know. Push feeds have proven their reliability to the point it is pretty much moot in my opinion. In a deer or target or varmint rifle it is all but meaningless to me. A big extractor and strong bolt are never a bad thing but for me it is more likely a concern regarding a stuck case than a charging rhino. I have both and prefer the silkier actions of a push feed. Someone mentioned the much maligned A-bolts- try and find something faster cycling for a follow up shot. If Lee Harvey had used an A-bolt there would have never been a second gun man theory. Three shots would be a gimme.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
checklist for today at the fire:

• knock controlled round feed /check
  • exthol virtues of A-bolt /check
  • Lee Harvey Oswald tie in /check
  • Begin looking for another forum to hang out
Ok done here.

Hey Happy Labor Day all. Enjoy

Last edited by kenjs1; 09/02/11.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm not convinced that CRF is really necessary. My old Ruger, for instance, is a push feed. But the non rotating claw extractor and the fixed blade ejectors of the 98 Mauser and like actions have been pretty impressive to me. Given a choice, I'll take those over the common punger ejectors and the hook style extractors found in most rifle actions today. A good solid bolt stop, like the 98 Mauser, as opposed to the Remington and especially the old trigger release designs of the older Weatherbys is another plus. E

Interesting and appreciated. I will have to rethink things,as I don't have that many Remington receivers with 50,000+ rounds on them.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Boxer- asking that question will inevitably get you someone referring to CRF as a must for a dangerous game rifle. Perhaps massive cartridges require it -I don't know. Push feeds have proven their reliability to the point it is pretty much moot in my opinion. In a deer or target or varmint rifle it is all but meaningless to me. A big extractor and strong bolt are never a bad thing but for me it is more likely a concern regarding a stuck case than a charging rhino. I have both and prefer the silkier actions of a push feed. Someone mentioned the much maligned A-bolts- try and find something faster cycling for a follow up shot. If Lee Harvey had used an A-bolt there would have never been a second gun man theory. Three shots would be a gimme.

The A-Bolts are a much underappreciated workhorse. Tough to stop a Marine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Boxer = Big Stick

Engage the fine gentleman with this in mind...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd like to see you engage a cardboard box.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, I'm hell on boxes.......

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Perhaps when laying flat,less creases and emptied of contents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found the weight of ruger action vs remington action on brown precision rife website. http://www.brownprecision.com/SelectingComponents.htm

Ruger's action are only 2oz to 2.5 oz heavier than their remington counter parts (2oz heavier than remmie BDL short/long action) and 2.5 oz heavier than remmie adl short/long action).

Ruger action's being 2.5oz heavier as causing their rifles to be unbalance, etc. does not seem to be a valid.

I would suspect the rifle's stock dimension along with the barrel's contour & length has more to do with determining how a particular rifle balances or not.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't much care for Remington but would say that Ruger rings and bottom metal,do tilt the table.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They can all do with a little TLC out of the box. I think the for a durable no bs rifle, the Ruger is hard to beat.

Last edited by gmsemel; 09/02/11.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gmsemel
They can all do with a little TLC out of the box. I think the for a durable no bs rifle, the Ruger is hard to beat.

Rugers are damn hard to beat. However, they are like a diamond in the rough and need some polishing and tlc in all the right places.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I thought "sloppy" bolt travel allowed the gun to function much better if and when gunked up with dirt/mud/snow.

As for Ruger smoothness, a few hundred cycles of dry-firing and it is mostly smoothed up anyway.

This isnt a battle rifle made for slugging it out with the krauts in the trenches of France. And I dont make it a habit of fouling my gun with mud while hunting.
It would also take alot of cycling the bolt before you smoothed out the cast bolt races. In fact I have shot one that has a few thousand rounds through it and its not smooth by along shot. If anything, it just feels more sloppy.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.