Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5595331 09/07/11
gorskij Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got my second set of TPS "Tactical" rings last week, these are the aluminum variety, the other set I have on my SPSS 308 are steel. Just wanted to let you all know Im very impressed by these awesome rings, quality is outstanding and the price is far better than Badger or Leupold Tactical rings, these were $72.44 shipped from MIdway.

Attached Images
TPS1.jpg (76.63 KB, 129 downloads)
TPS2.jpg (65.76 KB, 96 downloads)
TPS3.jpg (65.22 KB, 97 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got three sets of TPS rings and zero complaints with any of them...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great rings, horrible customer service.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Their trim HRT Model is one of my favorites...

http://www.tacticalprecision.com/HRT%20Scope%20Rings.htm

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have them in alloy and steel and haven't broken any yet.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine here are aluminum (7075-T6511 alloy) TSR #30580 30mm Rings. Wouldn't hesitate to acquire more TPS rings when needed.

[Linked Image]

-=[Bob]=-
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Noone with a Savage would. Bless your heart.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Well I had a problem with one set of their rings. I could not get the rings to hold on to the scope on a 338 Edge. The scope would not move forwards or backwards but would rotate in the rings. Having 3 other sets of these same rings and not ever experiencing a problem before I was surprised. Replaced these rings with a set of Seekins rings and the problem went away.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I hope it has gotten better with the factory service, for a while it was pretty bad. Going through Brownells for the rings will save you cash and any headaches that might pop up.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Charlieinco
Well I had a problem with one set of their rings. I could not get the rings to hold on to the scope on a 338 Edge. The scope would not move forwards or backwards but would rotate in the rings. Having 3 other sets of these same rings and not ever experiencing a problem before I was surprised. Replaced these rings with a set of Seekins rings and the problem went away.

Do elaborate. Laffin'.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have or have had them on numerous rifles from sedate to 7-1/2 lb 30-06AI that kicks like a SomB. The've always held and look great IMHO.

Alan

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's my experience with a set of TPS alloy rings...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2270336&page=1

TPS customer service leaves a lot to be desired. For one thing, its next to impossible to actually get in touch with anyone at the company. Emails go undelivered or not responded to, and reaching someone on the phone is an exercise in futility. If, and that's a big "if", you do reach someone on the phone, it will be the sweet older lady who has no clue what is going on, can't find anything out, but will gladly forward your information to one of the techs.

They did eventually replace the rings, but it took a while. Truthfully, I would buy another set, as their steel rings are top notch. I believe its possible the failure I had was a fluke, and I can accept that, but dealing with customer service was a PITA!

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by Charlieinco

Do elaborate. Laffin'.

Well don't know what else to add to this. These were their steel rings. The rings were mounted per TPS instructions exactly. I double checked that they were indexed correctly, torqued to TPS specs and checked the gap on both rings with a blade, all within TPS spec. Notice the assembly seemed tight and the scope could not be moved with hand pressure. This same scope had been mounted previously on a Leupold 2 piece mount with no problems (changed to a Picatinny rail for more eye relief adjustment). I redid the scope mounting adding Loctite Blue to the bottom of the rings and test fired the 338 Edge, still did not hold, checking with a level the scope had rotated to the left with respect to a level rifle (same as before the). The rotation is small but noticeable when the rifle is leveled on a Sinclair rest. I did not lap them so no dimensions were changed from the factory. Checked against the other TPS rings on other rifles I have and every thing seemed the same. I suspect that the surfaces on the flush side of the rings are not quite right( too thick ?)to snug down.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a broken bolt on one of their rings. I never could get anyone to answer the phone, or respond to an email...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drove their HRT rings on the wife's 7-08. Wouldnt hesitate to buy another set. Great product. Long as you follow the tightening instructions.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC there is no "gap checking" required on their rings. Index them correctly, tighten one side down completely, level crosshair, torque the other side. Eye relief should be set before tightening the one side down because after that scope will not slide back and forth. Only rotate.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
IIRC there is no "gap checking" required on their rings. Index them correctly, tighten one side down completely, level crosshair, torque the other side. Eye relief should be set before tightening the one side down because after that scope will not slide back and forth. Only rotate.

If you check the instructions again. http://www.tacticalprecision.com/pdf/TPS_Instruction_Sheet_PDF.pdf
You will see it says "If the rings are installed as per instructions, you will have a 20/1000 of an inch gap, on the opposite side of the �Index� mark side."

This was done and the scope still rotated in the rings on this particular installation

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If at first you dont succeed. Tighten em a little more.

Custom Strings/Tuning

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.