Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Mossy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I just finished the movie and had a question about the landscape.

Is there anywhere in Vietnam that looks remotely like the dry grassy areas where most of the battle scenes were filmed?

I'd ask my dad (he did two tours),but he really doesn't like to talk about his time over there.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just a guess, but I'd say the movie was filmed in California, which is strikingly un-Vietnamlike (although parts of it could justifiably be called a jungle).

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Mossy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Just a guess, but I'd say the movie was filmed in California, which is strikingly un-Vietnamlike (although parts of it could justifiably be called a jungle).

California is exactly where I thought of as I watched the movie.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most VN movies are filmed in Hawaii or the Phillipines

P
P
to all,

i THINK that i remember that MUCH of the movie was made at Ft Benning, GA.

yours, PG

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC it was filmed in Northern Cal.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jericho

Have you SEEN the movie? No chance it was Hawaii or PI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes there are areas like that in the Ia Drang Valley including the area around LZ X-RAY.

LZ X-RAY

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Googled it up... Northern California...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buy the way, I finally watched it a couple of months ago, the saddest war movie I have seen, too real for me a few times and I had tears in my eyes many times while watching it.

Nothing can capture what it was really like (I WAS there) but it sure stirred up a bunch of memories. But without the smells and actual visuals & sounds coming from all directions it is not the same, ask any vet, and if he will talk at all about it that is what he will tell you.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE

Nothing can capture what it was really like (I WAS there) but it sure stirred up a bunch of memories. But without the smells and actual visuals & sounds coming from all directions it is not the same, ask any vet, and if he will talk at all about it that is what he will tell you.

Roger that Terry.I never had to walk in your boots but was not far from the treetops on many ground support missions.Was at LZ English and Xray a time or two but several years after you were back stateside.Gee that must make you an older phart than me!! shocked grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Flyboy - I agree with everything you said...

Terry really IS an old phart!

wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A little respect for one of the resident Dinosaurs thank you! smile smile

Old cat turd!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You don't expect us to start NOW, do you? wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can dream. smile smile smile

Old cat turd!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

The question isn't "Where was this movie filmed?" but "Where are the dry, grassy locations where some of those battle scenes were filmed?"

Most movies today are filmed in several locations � Scenes A and X here, B and Y there, and C and Z somewhere else. It's common to shoot interiors in one location while one or more "second units" is/are shooting exteriors in one or more other locations � maybe even in two or more other countries, simultaneously.

I've never been to Viet Nam, of course, but obviously a dry, grassy location in no way resembles the high canopy or the dense undergrowth of a tropical or semitropical jungle.

I'd assume that a scenically kaleidoscopic movie like We Were Soldiers, including even some of the battle scenes, was shot in a variety of locations � stars, supporting cast, extras, long shots, medium shots, close-ups, interiors, atmospherics, etc, in several distant and widely different locations.

One big reason for the "continuity errors" that we often see in adjacent shots is that, for example, a close-up of an actor was shot in a studio, and the very next shot was made much later (or sooner) somewhere else. A still photographer on the set records the close of each shot, and the set-up crew carefully studies those stills in setting-up the next shot. They do a pretty good job, usually, but despite all their care, they do miss details � like, for instance, a picture on the wall slightly askew in one shot and hanging straight in the very next shot.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jericho

Yeah most I have seen look like Kauai.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those RVN scenes were filmed at Ft. Hunter-Ligget, CA. I have been there and looked at the terrain. It is very similar to the terrain around LZ X-ray. Not all of RVN is jungle. Much of I-Corps is more scrub-like at lower elevations. Even much of the jungle was defoliated and consisted of tall grass and scrub under the dead upper canopy.

The mountain adjacent to X-ray was triple canopy jungle. That's why Giap had his divisions there; to conceal them from the air.

X-ray was a natural opening on the flat next to the mountain and the closest air insertion point to the mountain. That's why the 1st Cav used it. Giap close to attack the US battalion on the flat before they could reinforce and before they could get to his positions on the mountain. In retrospect, it was probably a mistake, IMO.

Jim
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,067
Posts18,482,557
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.