Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
These are the rifles I'm bringing. One's a pre-64 Winchester 70 Featherweight and the other is an FN Belgian Browning (Mauser Action), "pencil barrel, High Power, Safari Grade. Both are in .308 Winchester, and both sport a Leupold VXII 3-9 variable with Weaver bases and rings. Both are about the same weight (quite light, both having aluminum bottom metal and other lightening features), and both have very nice, crisp, and light trigger pulls.

[Linked Image]

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...NICE!!!

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with those!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Make sure you allow plenty of time to acclimate to high mountain country. Failing to do so may kill you faster than a bear.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Make sure you allow plenty of time to acclimate to high mountain country. Failing to do so may kill you faster than a bear.
No choice in the matter. Flight is on a Thursday, and the hunt starts Saturday morning.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take plenty of oxygen! smile

Just kidding. As long as you don't go to high you will probably be alright. Hopefully, you are riding horses.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Take plenty of oxygen! smile

Just kidding. As long as you don't go to high you will probably be alright. Hopefully, you are riding horses.
When I hunted elk in the Colorado Rockies we were on horseback, but not on this one. But the Rockies hunt typically took place at between eight and nine thousand feet above sea level. I felt it, too. Every ten or fifteen steps I had to stop and catch my breath.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Even 4,000 feet can be a killer. Take it easy.

I live at about 3,000 to 4,000 depending on where I am in the city. When my wife and I are in Seattle we go up down hills like teenagers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Save the last round for yourself if you get et by a griz. Unless you are extremely lucky you aren't going to do anything but piss him or her off with your peashooter.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Chris;

You're going to a f'king ranch in Idaho.

And, you're carrying a rifle, which is far more powerful than your handguns.

Quit kidding yourself.

Oh, wait....nevermind.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Load the 329pd with something reasonable - forget those fantasy bullets and loads - they won't do anything other than lighten your wallet. A can of bear spray is pretty cheap too.

Last edited by dla; 09/26/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But I seem to recall reading an article about ten of fifteen years ago that suggested that there's never been a successful self-defense against a grizzly bear with a handgun, regardless of caliber or load, and that your best self-defense against one is whatever rifle you're hunting with. Thoughts?

That's horseschitt. There have been plenty of successful SD shoots against bears with handguns. Those that disagree or deny the fact either hates handguns or don't know what they are talking about.

Are they ideal? No, but they're better than a sharp stick and may be the only thing you have on you when you have your encounter. My concern isn't so much about having it to defend myself while hunting as it is when I'm zipped and buttoned up for the night i my sleeping bag. With the handgun, I can have it in the bag with me and be able to shoot through the bag if needed and I can't get unbuttoned fast enough to reach and manipulate a rifle.

Load it up with a good 300gr hardcast load of your own recipe, or an offering from someone like Corbon, Buffalo Bore, Grizzly Cartridge or Double Tap. Penetration is the word of the day here.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This comes up since I've been invited by an old friend to join him and a local hunter friend of his in Idaho (where they live currently) to do some elk hunting there, and he informs me that there are grizzly bear warnings for hunters up there recently, some having been attacked. He recommended that, in addition to my .30-06 bolt gun, I also bring a bear stopping handgun to wear while hunting. Most powerful handgun I have is a .44 Magnum. Have three, in fact, but the lightest one is my S&W 329PD, which is what I'm thinking of packing. But I seem to recall reading an article about ten of fifteen years ago that suggested that there's never been a successful self-defense against a grizzly bear with a handgun, regardless of caliber or load, and that your best self-defense against one is whatever rifle you're hunting with. Thoughts?

PS I remember reading accounts of bear attacks, also, where the hunter attempted self-defense with his rifle, and had the rifle knocked from his hands, resulting in a long drawn out mauling because he had nothing else.

Yep, a properly loaded and applied handgun will get the job done

[Linked Image]

I recommend a 300 WFN flat point hard cast of 300 or so grains at 1200 or more FPS. If the M-329 isn't reliable with that load then I'd take the M-29 or M-629

As to pepper spray, leave the condiments for the dinner table

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well said, jwp. Seems to me the naysayers are the ones who don't hunt with handguns and perhaps are unaware just how terminally effective they can be (loaded correctly -- same caveat applies to rifles) on big game animals -- even those that bite.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

I recommend a 300 WFN flat point hard cast of 300 or so grains at 1200 or more FPS. If the M-329 isn't reliable with that load then I'd take the M-29 or M-629

That occurred to me too, i.e., going with the more traditional pattern four inch M29 if there was any bullet pulling going on with the 329. I took it (the all steel M29) on a boar hunt about ten years ago as a backup to my Winchester 94 and don't recall noticing the weight. Of course that was in Vermont, not Idaho (altitude difference, even though this was high country for Vermont), and I didn't have a day pack on.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
It has been pretty much proven that about 90% of the guys who want to carry a handgun for bear protection do not have the expertise to draw and fire accurately enough to stop a bear during a charge,nor do they seldom have the time to do so.. The other 10% do and those are the ones we hear about. All test done by most credible wildlife biologist show that good bear spray is more effective.I'd belive them more so than internet armchair wanna be's.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/27/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
It has been pretty much proven that about 90% of the guys who want to carry a handgun for bear protection do not have the expertise to draw and fire accurately enough to stop a bear during a charge,nor do they seldom have the time to do so.. The other 10% do and those are the ones we hear about. All test done by most credible wildlife biologist show that good bear spray is more effective.I'd belive them more so than internet armchir wanna be's.

By all means, one needs to rely on the type of firearm they are most able to effectively use.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by saddlesore
It has been pretty much proven that about 90% of the guys who want to carry a handgun for bear protection do not have the expertise to draw and fire accurately enough to stop a bear during a charge,nor do they seldom have the time to do so.. The other 10% do and those are the ones we hear about. All test done by most credible wildlife biologist show that good bear spray is more effective.I'd belive them more so than internet armchir wanna be's.

By all means, one needs to rely on the type of firearm they are most able to effectively use.
Well, I cut my teeth on S&W K-Frame double action revolvers way back in the 1980s. They're like second nature to me by now, so switching to an N-Frame shouldn't be such a big deal for me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You would be too scared to do anything should a bear come running....They are A LOT scarier than a guy in a truck...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Carry a shotgun

WildidontfollowmyownadviceAlaska ��2002-2011

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,290
Posts18,525,706
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.