Print Thread
Hop To
V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
My bowhunting friends tell me I need to get some bow hunting boots that don't leave a scent. Is there really such a boot? I wear regular hunting boots and I never see deer sniffing my tracks and running off. If there really is such a thing I'll get some.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A lot of guys wear rubber boots. As scent free as you can get.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I believe that all the scent controll companies make their own version of scent free boots as well. Have a look in a Cabela's, BassPro, or what have you catalog to see the different models. I like Le Chameau's they are expensive but a great boot. Just wish the damn French would make them so I could zip them up over my calves. Those little boys over there!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moccasins.

Just think about it, Native Americans wore them and they killed TONS of big game with their bows.

Actually hunting in moccasins with a homemade stick bow and arrows would be one of the best hunts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah there's rubber boots. And theres scent blocker and scent lock putting their names on boots. I never worried with any of those. Be careful where you walk in your hunting boots, keep them sprayed down with scent eliminating spray(preferrably one with a fresh earth scent), and keep them stored in a plastic bag of some sort when you not hunting(can also include some native vegatation in the bag with the boots). What I do and dont have any problems. And I hunt on the ground.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have hunted with both leather and rubber boots and only one time saw a deer react to my entrance trail, a big doe walked up to my trail with her nose on the ground eating acorns, she stopped like she hit a stone wall when she came across my boot tracks, alarmed she stomped off, would she have had the same reaction if I'd have worn rubber boots who knows? now when I'm bow hunting I usually do wear rubber boots, I like Muck boots. I have a pair of Woody Sports that are very comfortable and give good support, I have seen a big difference in the comfort from one rubber boot to another so if you decide to try some make sure and shop around and put muck on your list.............Good luck........HB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you're hunting in a bubble boy suit, dead skin cells are constantly raining off of your body. Boots and snake oil sprays aren't going to change any of that.

Watch your approaches, hunt the wind, and save your money.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We all wear rubber boots. I also soak my boots in baking soda and water and put them on the boot dryer every couple trips out. I also put my antiperspirant on my feet.

I bow hunt a piece of property in a neighborhood 300 by 400 feet. There's no real choice in stand placement, and 90 percent of the time, the deer come from downwind. They walk out of a red maple swamp and through that part of the oak flats during the day and I see them milling around here and there in the evening. Most of the time, they are off her property where I can't get to them. I use scent free soap and deodorant, wear rubber boots, and wear Scent Blocker clothes. Everything travels in Rubbermaid tubs in the back of the pickup with broken cedar and pine branches stuffed in. I'll throw in bayberry and sweet fern too. I use two 15 foot ladders with 5' extensions. I can't play the wind there, and I get busted. I've also killed 12 deer there in the last 4 years including 2 8 point bucks. If you can't always hunt with the wind in your face, I'm convinced that every little bit helps.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JFC, I'm in the wrong business...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
JFC, I'm in the wrong business...

I know, right........

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wear rubber boots when deer hunting. Generally spray them down and they are stored in a bag. Watched a fox act like he was hit by lightning when he crossed my path. Pretty much proved to me their nose is still better and that rubber boots are not a cure all. I suppose in theory they are better, but enough better to make a difference, have my doubts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About the time you think you have the scent all covered up have someone let your dog out 100yds or so away and see how long it takes him to find you. - Best advice is to keep the wind in your face when possible.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm a believer in rubber boots and know from experience wearing them vs regular leather boots that deer can smell the leather boots better than rubber. Regardless of your boot choice, be sure to not touch any vegetation on your approach.

Rubber boots do not completely cover scent, but they do help. I can't fool ole Lucy (My Red Bone) with rubber boots, but I often have deer cross my trail nose down without paying it any attention. I always make a habit of rubbing my boots in fresh dirt or a mud hole before approaching a stand.

Leather or fabric absorbs odors, every little stick or blade of grass that touches them leaves a stronger scent trail than rubber.

loder

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear 18" rubber boots (Rocky and LaCrosse Burleys) all the time. I haven't seen deer within range get spooked on my trail like I've seen with my insulated Rocky leather hunting boots.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (2500HD, AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,084
Posts18,501,682
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.