Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doing a little re-modeling in my back porch, where my Browning Gun Safe sits back in the corner.

I had intended to see if I could move it just a wee bit out of the way when I went and opened the door. Nothing I haven't done a few times a month for the last 4-5 years.

Much to my surprise the freaking upper hinge let go. With a nice glossy paint job and some bondo the weld looked great, but what was just revealed it was barely and I mean barely welded on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life is just one damned thing after another

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Browning.. says it all. grin

Hopefully a lifetime warranty on it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had the misfortune of having major problems with anything I have owned that is made(or marketed) by Browning.

Just bad luck?
:?:

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not send a copy of this thread/pic to Browning - ask if they would like to post a reply.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 340boy
I have had the misfortune of having major problems with anything I have owned that is made(or marketed) by Browning.

Just bad luck?
except auto5's

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
that looks like a pretty chitty job of welding done on that safe. the weld didn't penetrate.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Why not send a copy of this thread/pic to Browning - ask if they would like to post a reply.

I intend to

Of course I've had my original receipt and the warranty papers in one spot for years, but moved them this past year to a new safe spot which is safe enough that I can't remember where I put them.

I need to get the serial number off of it and call in, just looked for there contact info.

This happened late last week, with the help of a couple friends I got it loaded into the truck and re-welded and it's sitting back in it's original spot.

Who knows what there response will be, but we'll see? I'm sure they would have probably liked to have scene it first hand (maybe). But who knows how long that would have taken and I didn't want 30 some guns sitting in my closet when I'm going to be out of town later this week.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I own Browning shotguns, HP pistols, a Buckmark .22 and a safe. They all work just fine.

Not saying a lemon won't get through, but an anecdotal bad hinge story is not enough to poison the well for me, re Browning products.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have one of those BDM's and it's been fine for me. That and a four-digit serial Auto-5 that my Grandmother gave to my Grandfather on their 1st wedding anniversary is all I think I have that is Browning.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

I have one of those BDM's and it's been fine for me. That and a four-digit serial Auto-5 that my Grandmother gave to my Grandfather on their 1st wedding anniversary is all I think I have that is Browning.

Really?
Man, mine was terrible, most unreliable handgun I have ever owned, bar none!

I really MUST be unlucky.
laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
everything I have browning has been flawless so far. Not that many, but all fine. No safes.

Personally most of the commercial safes won't protect your guns from fire well enough anyway so I went to a custom maker to make sure... WTF, spend 1500 and THINK you'll be ok or 2500-3000 and KNOW you'll be ok....

That isn't the first weld I've seen not penetrate though... on various pieces of steel from various manufacturers.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen this happen before. If you put Savages in a Browning gun safe it will cause a metallurgical reaction.

The safe is actually trying to vomit those guns out by eating it's own hinges off. ... grin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I own Browning shotguns, HP pistols, a Buckmark .22 and a safe. They all work just fine.

Not saying a lemon won't get through, but an anecdotal bad hinge story is not enough to poison the well for me, re Browning products.

I own and have owned dozens of Browning firearms with never a hitch.
Where was this POS imported from? Tiawan or Red China?

When it comes to safes, I buy on owner recommendation.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Browning safes are made by Pro-Steel in Provo, UT.

Pro-Steel Security Products (exclusive manufacturers of Browning Safes)
PO Box 977
1400 South State Street
Provo Utah, 84603
Toll Free (877) 501-SAFE
Phone (801) 373-2385
Fax (801) 373-2399
Email :grobisonpro-steel.net

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eyeball

Just bad luck?
except auto5's

My personal experience with two A-5s and Hi-Power in 9 millimeter has been very good. While I took good care of the shotguns, I treated the niner like a red-headed stepchild. None of the three let me down, and all three feel like extensions to my body. Sounds dirty, but its true.
I wonder if the bad reputation that Browning products enjoy on this site only applies to products NOT designed by John Moses.

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Uncle gave me my first shotgun, a Marlin 12 gauge pump with a hammer. Dad and I took it to Simmons Gun Specialties, then one of the premier customizing/gunsmithing places in the nation. They said it had a Damascus barrel and was unsafe. Dad determined to get me my first shootable shotgun then. He was all hot to get me a Browning because he'd always wanted a Browning Auto 5. The problem was, Dad wasn't a gun guy. There were two Brownings at the gunstore we went to. I was probably 12 years old and Dad didn't know the difference between an Auto 5 and a 2000. The 2000 looked better and that's what I got. It sucked for years. Subsequently, I've owned several Brownings but have never warmed up to them. I finally got rid of the 2000 even and don't mourn its loss at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Comrade_Cheese
Originally Posted by eyeball

Just bad luck?
except auto5's

My personal experience with two A-5s and Hi-Power in 9 millimeter has been very good. While I took good care of the shotguns, I treated the niner like a red-headed stepchild. None of the three let me down, and all three feel like extensions to my body. Sounds dirty, but its true.
I wonder if the bad reputation that Browning products enjoy on this site only applies to products NOT designed by John Moses.

CC,
You may be right as concerns the JMB designs.
And, I forgot about the Hi-Power. I don't think I have ever heard anything bad about those, ever.

Also, I don't want to bad-mouth Browning, though looking back at my last couple of posts this thread, it kind of sounds that way.
Seems like there are many guys on this thread that have had nothing but good experiences with Browning across the board.

James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by cal74
Much to my surprise the freaking upper hinge let go. With a nice glossy paint job and some bondo the weld looked great, but what was just revealed it was barely and I mean barely welded on.

I'm not what you call an accomplished welder. But I made better looking beads than that on my first attempts back in high school metal shop.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A fair bit of rust going on there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2
A fair bit of rust going on there.

I noticed that, also.
Almost looks like saltwater corrosion, or something?-though I doubt that is the cause.

James Elroy Flecker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.