Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Well seeing that your Rem Hunter was inletted a for a #5 barrel contour & then you dunk a #3 or #4 in it, there's gonna be room in the barrel channel - not rocket science here.

What would happen if you got the Rem Hunter inletted for a #4 barrel contour & in-fact put a #4 in it - its gonna probably fit, agree tater-tot?? Yes it will take a barrel contour up to a #8 - read it on McMillan's website 100x's over just like you did numbnuts!!

The Rem Hunter is without a doubt, wider in the front than your beloved Classic, but still plenty serviceable!!!

Laffin'

I much enjoy how stupidity isn't an act for you and how you perpetually remain oblivious to the obvious,despite fervent efforts at fending same.

Now interestingly enough,contour inlet has zero bearing on the physical dimensions of a stock,though I'd not slight how easy it would be for someone like you to be confused with same. I very much enjoyed your Tutorial on contour inletting,nearly as much as I did your missing the entire crux. Kudos on the "satisfactions" of having read about the stock 100's of times and pardon my having them all. I reckon it more than a little "fulfilling" for you to "hone" your Imagination in such a way,bless your heart. Could think of but damned few others,who could connect so few dots as reliably as you,especially given pixels as a cookie.

P.S. and by the way...a sub-#1 contour will mate to the Remington Hunter too,should you need more fodder for your Imagination,but unfortunately that melding is a goat [bleep] too. Now reality on the other hand,precludes suffering such concessions,which is assuredly new territory for you in both theory and application.

The Remmy Hunter is in fact of more girth than a Classic,which isn't saying much,because it's wider than all of the other Sporting patterns. Delving a touch deeper the Remmy Hunter's 1.820" tip width,comfortably exceeds a real M40A1 handle's 1.675". Just sayin'.

Great time to hang a pic of your Remmie Hunter and brag on it a little(even if you gotta draw it with crayons).

Laffin'.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can put any contour you want in it, but varmint and up is where it's at for the Rem Hunter...it's real comfortable to settle in behind, but svelte it is not.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
She ain't very bright and don't know what the hell she's looking at...but she'll read something 100's of times trying to savvy. Bless her heart.

The Remington Hunter is a great pattern in it's prescribed application,which flying a sporter contour is not. You'd of thunk she'd of got the "hint" with the Sako Hunter laying alongside it for extrapolation,but it ain't like she's ever seen one of those either.

Curious to see where her Imagination takes her next.

Laffin'.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see your allowed more than 1 post a day as "Boxer" - nice, your movin up tater-tot!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boxer
I've at least one of every pattern thus far mentioned. Curiously enough the Remington Hunter pattern will accept as large of a contour as an A1,2,3,4 or 5,which is a #8. A #3 in same is a goat [bleep].

I'd hang pictures,but it is more fun letting the gals guess. Poor dumb jim62 is on fire like always and 'Mag is in it,to win it.

Bless their hearts.

Seems here, you're the dumb [bleep] that brought barrel contour into play for the Rem Hunter, but your tunnel vision of self proclaimed knowledge actually handicapped ya!! Now if you would have thrown out fore end measurements/dimensions as ya did in your last post, we all might have gotten somewhere alot sooner!!

Anyways, tired of hearin from ya - rock on my brotha!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 10/01/11.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sugartits,did you lose your crayon sharpener? What happened to your Imaginary Remmy Hunter wearing the #3? Did you sneeze and erase it from your Imagination? You sure burn a lot of bandwidth to confirm the stupidity that fuels your Dreams.

Barrel contour is never not key in stock selection,which is the glaringly obvious point that you haven't the faculties or experience to process. Have yet to see a svelte pattern that will accept an 8 contour,but have zero doubt that you've Imagined more than a few. Curiously enough,there are far more patterns that will digest a #3 and not an 8...but that too will sail over your pointy head and tinfoil hat. Get a kick out of your nodding in agreement with dimensions,like you've seen any of those handles in the flesh,that was hilarious! Hell I toss you a picture of things you've never seen and you are still unable to connect dots. You really should be taking notes and applying same.

Bless your heart.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 300FAG
rock on my brotha!!

"Tater-tot"
Your definitely gay Jeff.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I wanted to go with the McMillan Hunter on my current build, but alas, McMillan told me to run a a #4 in it, I would have to run a pretty short shank. Since I was going to use a #4 or #5 and a longer shank than McMillan described for the McMillan Hunter, I went with the Remington Hunter. I have had one before with a #5 in it and thought the look was ok but at the time also thought a #5 would be the smallest I would go with in it. Thought about going with a BDL pattern, but it is not nearly as comfortable a stock for me and doesn't align my eye behind the scope as well as the Remington Hunter.

Here's the Remington hunter that I got shown with both a #4 with interrupted fluting and #5 with straight fluting. The stock was inletted for the #4, so by the pictures there just isn't much difference between the two. In the end, I decided to go with the #4 to satisfy my desire to go a little lighter on this build, even if only a few ounces.

You guys have to decide for yourself if you think this light a barrel looks out of place in this forend. I think larger would look better, but the #4 is not horrible. Balance wise, my previous 22" # 5 balanced perfectly, and I anticipate that this 24" #4 will not be much different. Comfort wise, I find it hard to beat the Remington Hunter.

John

Brux # 4

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brux #5

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

22" #5 in Remington Hunter.

[Linked Image]

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks stoney - Didn't I go to Vegas with you...............???

LOL!!!

Good post Hondo, pics don't lie!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 10/01/11.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's the narrow forend model I'm thinking about,anyone have any pics with a #2 in it?Thanks,Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't have one, but you will be fine with the McMillan Hunter and a #2. With the Remington Hunter, the forend would swallow the barrel.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not that difficult to find an elder Walnut stocked Sako Sporter,for a #2 ergonomic test drive.

Why do I get the feeling that 'MAG is never gonna find her crayon sharpener?

Laffin'.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Boxer
Not that difficult to find an elder Walnut stocked Sako Sporter,for a #2 ergonomic test drive.

Why do I get the feeling that 'MAG is never gonna find her crayon sharpener?

Laffin'.
Ain't to many Sako drivers around here,I'm aways from town.I do get your drift though,it's a good idea. Monashee

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
By far the most popular hunting stock design we have is the Sako Hunter stock design. The palm swell and sculptured pistol grip, the monte carlo butt and proper drop at heel for offhand shooting and handling heavy recoil in a light rifle is really supurb. Thus the McMillan Hunter, Browning Hunter, Ruger MkII Hunter, Sako TRG-S, Tikka 65 and soon to be introduced Winchester Hunter (you heard it here first) are based on this great stock design
The Remington Hunter came about a few years ago when a lot of people were building "bean field" rifles as Kenny Jerrett called them. General hunting type rifles but with great big straight taper target barrel contours on them. Folks wanted a hunting stock that would take these huge barrels. We actually started this design With the Sako 75 Varmint stock which is a Sako Hunter type stock with a wide varmint forearm. We just modified the rear tang area and action depth area to fit a Remington 700 action and called it the Remington Hunter. In house we will normally recommend the Remington Hunter stock for barrel contours of #5 and up or very long cylinder lengths, and the McMillan Hunter for barrels of #4 and less with cylinder lengths of 1.5" or less.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Dick,that clears it up for me nicely.Have to give my smith a call and check on the finished cylinder length. Monashee

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DickD
By far the most popular hunting stock design we have is the Sako Hunter stock design. The palm swell and sculptured pistol grip, the monte carlo butt and proper drop at heel for offhand shooting and handling heavy recoil in a light rifle is really supurb. Thus the McMillan Hunter, Browning Hunter, Ruger MkII Hunter, Sako TRG-S, Tikka 65 and soon to be introduced Winchester Hunter (you heard it here first) are based on this great stock design.
Can you release any expected dates of arrival as I will place my order for a Winchester Hunter immediately even if the wait is year or two...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A little off topic, but on the 24 hr gear shop they list the "McMillan Hunter" is this the EDGE Hunter in non-edge form? I have a Model 7 .300 SAUM coming soon and I'd love to go with a standard fill Mc Hunter ADL.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think we just have a terminology problem here. We have no "EDGE Hunter" design. We have a "Hunters Edge" stock which was our first very compact little straight classic light weight stock design. Totally different from the Sako Hunter series of stock designs.
The Winchester Hunter stock design should be on line by the end of the year.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by DickD
I think we just have a terminology problem here. We have no "EDGE Hunter" design. We have a "Hunters Edge" stock which was our first very compact little straight classic light weight stock design. Totally different from the Sako Hunter series of stock designs.
The Winchester Hunter stock design should be on line by the end of the year.

The Hunters Edge is what I was referring to sorry. This is what is listed on the Gear Shop as "McMillan Hunter"? And it's available in standard fill?

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
archie: Click this link if you want the "edge" version. You are clicking the link for the standard fiberglass stocks, not the graphite stocks:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=51

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.