Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
deg967 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am already aware I'm gonna take some heat for even mentioning "crossbow" on here..
Question I have is, is there some sort of site or info, like a buyers' guide, I can get on the testing of crossbows for various things INCLUDING each individuals noise level/decibal ? Apparently I'm in the market for one (I think) and am looking into several in the $600 and lower range.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The quietest is going to be the RDT 125 or the reverse limb Hortons.

The Horton will be the cheaper by a large margin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why are you worried about sound?

I have been 200 yards away from my father when he has shot his and still heard him crank it up to reload but the deer he shot at was dead.

Deer do not jump the string of his TenPoint.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I don't think the word quiet and crossbow go together, every crossbow I have been around (and that is many) are all noticeably louder than the loudest compound bow............HB P.S. nothing wrong with hunting with a crossbow, I have done it for years where legal (and loveit!) I think their is a distinct advantage to using a scoped crossbow, and when you hunt trophy whitetails you need every advantage you can get.........Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just took the plunge and placed an order for a StrykeZone 380. IN NRC just approved use of crossbows throughout the entire archery season next year. My boys are jacked, they want to go hunting with Daddy and his crossbow!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
From all reports the Strykezone 380 is a dandy, go over to crossbownation.com and you can read about how the Strykezones are doing...........Have a great season.........HB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deg967
I am already aware I'm gonna take some heat for even mentioning "crossbow" on here..
Question I have is, is there some sort of site or info, like a buyers' guide, I can get on the testing of crossbows for various things INCLUDING each individuals noise level/decibal ? Apparently I'm in the market for one (I think) and am looking into several in the $600 and lower range.

First off, Crossbows are here to stay, so you shouldn't take any heat for owning one.

Secondly, I own an Excalibur Ibex crossbow and love it to death. It shoots 3/4" groups at 40 yards (off sand bag), and has all speed I need. It does have a little crack to it, but not bad

Good luck with your decision

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
From all reports the Strykezone 380 is a dandy, go over to crossbownation.com and you can read about how the Strykezones are doing...........Have a great season.........HB

Yep. I am aware of a limb problem with some of them, fingers crossed that my new one won't have those probs!

ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
K7M, heard about the broken limbs on the SZ as well. That's pretty crappy as it's a nice xbow. BT's handling of these issues hasn't been the best according to the guys on AT. From what I've read about them the limb failures seem to come up fast, not from the guys that have put them through the ringer. I'd shoot the heck out of it myself to be sure before a hunt. If it will handle a hundred+ shots out of the gate, shouldn't be a worry on hunting.

I've had limbs crack on one of my xbows and heard similar stories on several brands. I guess it's part of the game in the xbow world.

Hopefully yours is one of the good ones and gives a lifetime of service. It's a cool xbow for sure.

I'm getting great accuracy at 360fps out of my Huricane and haven't had any issues yet(knock on wood), so I hope it last a while.

Good luck with the new rig. Be sure to let us know how you like it.

loder

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
older,

Thanks. I'll be sure to post on it...

ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's like asking about the most ethical politician/whore. They are all LOUD.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
The quietest is going to be the RDT 125 or the reverse limb Hortons.

The Horton will be the cheaper by a large margin.

Get the Horten Vision, its a bad MFer. Not the fastest thing in the world, but top noch in all other catagories.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should have looked at this thread earlier. Had opportunity to buy a Horton Vision setup the other day for $550. I cannot shoot a regular bow anymore due to shoulder/elbow issues so if I want to hunt during archery season I need to go the crossbow route.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

I've had good luck with my crossbow although it is loud. Arrow speed is faster than the deer's reaction time. In other words, the arrow gets there FAST!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't know they made a quiet one

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My dads ten point is NOT quiet!!That thing pops like a powerful air gun,when it shoots.He does get follow up shots with it though??But far from quiet in my book.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree that quiet and crossbows don't go together. Make your first shot count and don't worry about quiet. You don't buy a rifle based on quiet so what's the difference?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to find out soon enough. My StrykeZone 380 ships on Monday...

ALDO LEOPOLD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,654
Posts18,533,853
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.