Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Well, if I were looking for an uneducated idiots opinion I would read your posts...

Oh, the irony in your calling someone an idiot. If you're going to throw rocks - make sure they're not indicative of a 3rd grade education. I'm rather sure the proper use of a possessive is taught by that level of primary education.

John has great experience and when it comes to this - he's taking a lawyer's position.

Again - he hasn't shot as many barrels as his customers have (combined) in as many conditions as his customers have (combined).

Please point me to a place where we can see this tube of death at 0 degrees. Surely there must be SOME evidence of such danger that isn't theoretical. Until someone can show where this isn't armchair CYA - then that's all it is. Again - his barrels have been used below 0 degrees with no issue what so ever. Any issue below 0 degrees has never come up or been shown to be due to any metallurgical issue.

Or it could be as other's have said when calling Krieger and asking about it vice Remington not putting a temperature restriction on their SS - "Remington has more lawyers than I do".

Now John didn't say that to me directly - it's just what someone's reported when this question came up elsewhere - before you go get your underwear in a bind.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And for the record - I am not telling him how to do his business. Not telling others that they can or can not use Krieger barrels above or below zero degrees - just saying that I DON'T HAVE AN ISSUE using his wares below zero. I also stated WHY I don't have an issue using his wares outside of what he feels (or his lawyer) comfortable allowing.

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Andrew
I find it also interesting that they say not to use it below 0 degrees but cryogenically treat their barrels.

That statement alone speaks for itself...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Krieger also states a break-in procedure. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find it also interesting that they say not to use it below 0 degrees but cryogenically treat their barrels.

That statement alone speaks for itself...

It means they're not ordering the barrels how they want them, metallurgic-ally speaking, and are willing to enact processes upon them to get them there.

Are we to then believe he's beyond being able to create or order a 416R ss barrel steel that can withstand the BRUTALITY that is zero degrees, like apparently other manufacturers can? Or is it more likely that the zero degree is lawyer speak?

It's called deductive reasoning and thinking for yourself - I know it's hard so I typed this slowly for you.

Again - waiting for the examples of Krieger barrels suffering a metallurgical failure due to extreme weather temperatures.

Me

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If Kreiger sells #4 contours & larger, there accuracy reputation has a better chance of remaining top-notch. Been told this buy other Mfr's and it makes good sense IMO. The cold weather excuse is BS.

SS in freezing temps.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It means they're not ordering the barrels how they want them, metallurgic-ally speaking, and are willing to enact processes upon them to get them there.

So, it has nothing to do WITH RELIEVING THE STRESS CREATED DURING THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS????

What exactly changes metallurgicly by cyro treating a barrel?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Read the top of the page... wink

The section "STEEL"

Krieger Barrels

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Increase resistance to abrasive wear (how is that stress created during the mfg process)
Changes the entire grain structure of the metal, not just the surfaces (again stress?)
Transforms most retained austenite to hard martensite (stress?)
Forms micro-fine carbide fillers to enhance carbide structures
Decreases brittleness
Increases tensile strength, toughness and stability (we to believe this is all induced into metal during mfg stress and if anything this should more than make the steel suitable for temps below 0 degrees)
Relaxes internal stresses (there's 1 advantage to your point)
Results in the orderly arrangement of crystals, increases internal bonding energy, and achieves a structural balance throughout the mass of the material
50%-75% decrease in grain size in treated specimens
Much more uniform distribution of carbon
Alleviation of grain boundaries

Again - not all of these are "stresses" put on a piece of steel during a mfg process.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Read the top of the page... wink

The section "STEEL"

Krieger Barrels

Read that jack ass - and if he was getting the steel the way he wanted 100% there'd be no cryo to follow.

Again - back to my ORIGINAL POINT - dumbass - Krieger barrels have been and will continue to be used below the zero degree threshold. Any who wish to continue or NOT is fine by me but I'll not swallow this idea that even tho hundreds if not THOUSANDS of people have use 416r - specifically Krieger 416r below zero degrees without any issue what so ever - I'll continue to use mine at whatever temp I can withstand - this below zero warning is more based in the court of what "might could happen" than "happens".

YMMV...

Me

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Read that jack ass - and if he was getting the steel the way he wanted 100% there'd be no cryo to follow

You are completely clueless as to metallurgy, machining practices and processes...

But do keep going sunshine. I can use a good laugh!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You could use a good more than that...

Still waiting on that 416R barrel failure due to cold weather temps.

Here you go - "Due to the chance that a meteor could hit you in the head and cause loss of control, GM does not recommend using a sun roof on your car"

I don't care what you say GM makes more cars than anyone (cept Toyota) and thus they KNOW - not that they're CTA on anything....

I mean it's possible but not probable....and that's the difference.

Tho I suspect you'll not understand that either. Have your union steward read it and tell you what to believe because it's evident that's all you understand - things read to you.

ETA

Course - I bet you think Dan Lilja doesn't know his way around barrels/barrel steel -

Originally Posted by Dan
Q. Can stainless steel barrels be safely fired in sub zero temperatures?

Yes they certainly can be. There is a myth going around that stainless steel alloys used in rifle barrels loose their strength in sub zero temperatures. There is no truth to that. We have made many thousands of barrels that have been fired safely in below zero temperatures as have all of the other custom barrel makers as well as the major arms manufacturers. This is an urban legend that should be chilled

Linky with info on Cyro as well....

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How do we get from rifle barrels... to cars?

See, that's the difference. I've got actual experience working with stainless and other exotic materials. You, not so much. But you keep pretending to know what you're talking about.

And I'll keep LMAO...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Crucible 416R stainless steel is manufactured using very stringent controls from initial melting, through hot rolling, heat treating, cold finishing and final bar inspection. Barrels made from Crucible 416R are used at all levels of competition and in all conditions dry, damp or salty. Although all martensitic stainless steels have reduced ductility at very low temperatures, Crucible 416R can be safely used down to minus 40�F (-40�C).

So, John uses a 0� value. Never know when a dickweed such as yourself would order a #4 contour in .458, and then flute the thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do a fair amount of heat treating of steel, including some stainless.

I guess theoretically there could be a concern about retained austenite kicking over and reducing toughness, in 416 stainless, but I'm fairly skeptical that it's a significant concern at only 0�.

I tried searching for "Charpy values for 416 stainless versus temperature" but came up empty. If one could find, or check those results, it could be interesting.

Maybe we could get Mythbusters to check it out? grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I guess theoretically there could be a concern about retained austenite kicking over and reducing toughness, in 416 stainless, but I'm fairly skeptical that it's a significant concern at only 0�.

Cyro would take care of that...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by slg888
If Kreiger sells #4 contours & larger, there accuracy reputation has a better chance of remaining top-notch. Been told this buy other Mfr's and it makes good sense IMO. The cold weather excuse is BS.

SS in freezing temps.

[Linked Image]

You got snow in WPB last night?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is some funny schidt. You've got someone who has probably forgotten more than most people here know about metallurgy, has been a skilled machinist and barrel maker for how many years? And yet they want to question John's thoughts about the barrels HE MAKES!.....

It really is some funny shidt grin.......non experts "pontificating" with profound "guessing" based on their "extensive" experience..... laugh....they might be able to polish John Krieger's boots on their best day..... smirk

And all the other "top" barrel makers say Krieger is nuts......that includes Brux and Bartlein I assume?They agree with Krieger..... confused....likely professional jealousy because you see way more Kriegers used in competition than any others.

Like a few shots at minus "0" constitutes a conclusive "test"...another joke. whistle Most "educated" critics are just pissed off because they gotta have their skinny SS barrels and Krieger won't make them one (whining!) grin

BTW, those factory lightweight SS barrels are 410 SS.....not 416......

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/24/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Which factory rifles use 410 SS?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The ones that don't want to cyro their barrels because Crucible can't deliver good barrel steel...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,114
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.