Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well folks it stopped snowing just in time for the first day of spring. The flowers will soon be blooming and the lawn growing, those of you out there that are gardeners will be tilling the sod and planting seeds and things. I have a world class brown thumb so I buy my veggies and stuff at the farmers market. Even plastic flowers wilt in my yard.
<br>So what do you gardener types grow, any special goodies? How do you do it?
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bullwnkl:
<br>
<br>I just about forgot about the first day of spring! We've had these short little fronts moving through, dropping 3-6 inches every other day. More like winter than spring!
<br>Our average date of last frost is about the 25th of May, so the garden has to wait until after turkey season!
<br>
<br>I live in town so I don't have much garden space-can't grow much even if I could. We have other factors which prohibit a very productive garden--cool nights down to 50* or below, fairly short growing season, etc.
<br>When everything is working in my favor though I can get a few tomatoes and a few peppers. Of course, my asparagus does its own thing and even you and your brown thumb could raise zucchini! We try the basics--cucumbers, carrots, spinach, lettuce. Can't get cantaloupes or watermelons to produce. And of course we always get that first fall snowstorm about the first week of Sept. If I can't get the tomatoes covered all that work and irrigation goes down the toilet!
<br>Truth is I know my efforts are really pushing against some heavy odds in favor of the garden gods, but I guess it is one of those, "You can't take the farm out of the boy" deals! I just enjoy watching the stuff grow, It's like a rebirth or a spring cleansing or something. It does my soul good to stand out there with my garden hose in one hand and a cold adult beverage in the other on a warm July evening. At that point, I just keep my fingers crossed that I get tomatoes before the snow does.
<br>
<br>Of course, the food we buy at the store or market is really pretty cheap. By the time I buy compost, fertilizer, plants and pour water on them all summer, I'd be better off to put my money in beer and pay a kid to mow the weeds! But, as long as the sun shines and my memories of eating 'maters right off the vine stays with me, I'll probably keep throwin' my money away!
<br>
<br>Maybe someday I'll live in a little lower elevation with a little longer growing seaso............wait a minute. Then I'd be farther away from the elk. That won't work. Guess I'll just stay here and go to the market --like you!
<br>
<br>rutnut

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well like you we are now I think finished with the snow, and can think about such things as gardens. Last year was the first time we did not plant anything except flowers, and still don't know if we will get the vegetable garden going this year or not.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first day of spring indeed! We had a tornado on the ground and golf ball size hail that covered the ground an inch deep! I have hail damage on three vehicles and a travel trailer. Spring in West Texas is always the worst weather of the year. Give me winter any time.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well they always say things are bigger in Texas.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's not what my Wife says [Linked Image]

Last edited by prairie dog shooter; 03/22/02.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It's all a matter of preception, think cold, think Alaska, Texas could be the big winner.[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.