Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
...But one can overcome design issues with a lot of firearms.
Excellent observation. No gun is perfect, so it's good to educate yourself on the weak points of the pistol of your choice and learn to deal with or mitigate the weaknesses.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=RoninPhx...You can pretty much tell when it went through a glock [/quote]Which ought to tell you that brass is getting worked pretty hard.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Travis, you are correct, I did not state in my initial post that reloads were the cause of the Kaboom issue in Glock 40's. I apologize for that. I assumed that was common knowledge but apparently it isn't. I did state several times that ya gotta reload to be able to shoot worth a damn, unless you make some serious coin. I stand by that statement.

Kevin quite clearly elucidated the issue with reloads and Glocks. I concur completely with the 40, I don't agree that reloads are necessarily bad with the 9mm. I know too many who've done for for too long to agree.

I have seen a 19 blow from reloads.

I would agree with your statement, I do make some serious coin. grin

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by deflave
Go [bleep] yourself. grin

Kidding of course....

Travis
I'm on a conference call, and that just made me laugh out loud and everyone is wondering why I'm laughing, because the subject at hand isn't funny...thanks.

My bad...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have reloaded for the glock but in this case it was a 10mm. I had no issues. One thing I won't do is shoot lead bullets in my Glocks. They use a polygonal rifling which can lead to excessive leading in the barrel and cause a dangerous situation. I would have no problem reloading a glock 40 S&W but would advise against using max loads to be on the safe side. I personally use Longshot powder, or Unique powder for reloading Glocks. Esox357.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A friend has shot way over 50K of Valiant 125gr cast pushed by, IIRC 4.3gr of WW 231 though the same Glock 17. He de-leads the bore by shooting a mag or two of jacketed through it. I'm not saying this is a great idea, I'm just sayin'.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have bought a couple of revolvers lately that looked like a lead lined pipe inside.
Uses a bronze brush with parts of a brasso pad stuck in the brush. Doesn't hurt the barrel and you get a nice little pile of lead chips.
One of my projects lately was using a .432 sized bullet, 240 grain in both a marlin 44 lever, and a model 29. Leaded the snot out of the 29. The lead bullets were also 23 on the hardness scale. They ain't going back in the 29, had to remove a lot of lead as above described.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I have bought a couple of revolvers lately that looked like a lead lined pipe inside.
Uses a bronze brush with parts of a brasso pad stuck in the brush. Doesn't hurt the barrel and you get a nice little pile of lead chips.
One of my projects lately was using a .432 sized bullet, 240 grain in both a marlin 44 lever, and a model 29. Leaded the snot out of the 29. The lead bullets were also 23 on the hardness scale. They ain't going back in the 29, had to remove a lot of lead as above described.

Lew's Lead Remover (brass patch) is the old tried and true. I've found that H2O2/white vinegar mixed 50/50 in a plugged barrel dissolves it nicely.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So we went up to the emporium that advertised the LE Glock 22 trade ins for such a low price, and guess what...they blew out all 60 in a day and a half. They did, however, have a like-new Glock 17 in the pre-owned case. From the looks of the barrel and the breech face, it hasn't even been broken in yet. It was fairly priced, and we had a 10% off coupon. It also had a set of custom competition sights, probably a $60 value.

He's happy with it, so I think he's set for a little while. If he decides he wants night sights or even the stock factory sights, that can be done later.

Thanks to everybody for the lively conversation, and for the benefit of your experience.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm down to about 1K rds of the 2,500 rds I kept of the 3,500 rds I loaded all with Montana Gold 155gr bullets and titegroup powder and I can tell you the Gen 2 police trade in gun never hiccuped a lick!

I just sold it to a coworker because i got a good deal on a Gen 3 trade in gun because the locals are going to Gen 4's.

I'm a converted Glock hater and put another hundred rds through my Gen 3 .40 and Gen 3 Model 30 .45 yesterday! For dead nuts reliabilty, standardization among different models in different calibers you can't beat them!

I too have a threaded Lone wolf barrel in 9mm for the Mod 22 and it works like a champ.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
also have a Model 23 as a truck gungrin

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kevin I did read the article some time back. I do not deny that Glocks have blown up but I can find you a bunch of pictures of many different guns that handloaders have blown up.

I do not actually own a Glock. I have Xd's and 1911's in 40 so my experience is not first hand, but shoot with a lot of guys who reload for the Glock. I just finished a batch of 40's on the progressive (around 500-600 I think, maybe more) and ran each thru a chamber checker for Glocked brass and had about 10 that would not pass. I thought that was pretty good performance for my dies. I will shoot those thru one of my 1911's as it is on the sloppier side for the chamber. Of course I am shooting a lead bullet with a reduced load for PF 165. I really have never been one of those max velocity loaders anyway.

Thanks for the words of caution. I have a G34 in my future for the wife and kids to compete with one of these days, but it too will shoot lead and not so fast...

NRA Life Member
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Kevin I did read the article some time back. I do not deny that Glocks have blown up but I can find you a bunch of pictures of many different guns that handloaders have blown up.

I do not actually own a Glock. I have Xd's and 1911's in 40 so my experience is not first hand, but shoot with a lot of guys who reload for the Glock. I just finished a batch of 40's on the progressive (around 500-600 I think, maybe more) and ran each thru a chamber checker for Glocked brass and had about 10 that would not pass. I thought that was pretty good performance for my dies. I will shoot those thru one of my 1911's as it is on the sloppier side for the chamber. Of course I am shooting a lead bullet with a reduced load for PF 165. I really have never been one of those max velocity loaders anyway.

Thanks for the words of caution. I have a G34 in my future for the wife and kids to compete with one of these days, but it too will shoot lead and not so fast...

Let's go to the board.

You have pards that reload for the Glock, yet you know of "Glocked brass". Ten reloads were so bad they wouldn't chamber.

In your opinion, this is all A-okay?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well I had 10 loads that did not fit in the chamber gauge, I called them Glocked brass because of talk of the unsupported chamber. I do not shoot a Glock, so perhaps they are some random Glock brass that I picked up on the range (very likely as I am a brass slut).

In your opinion, what should I think?

NRA Life Member
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glocked brass is also know as brass with the Glock smile - a half moon shaped bulge near the case head corresponding to the unsupported section over the feed ramp. Picked .40 S&W and .45 ACP brass gets double checked for the Glock smile and tossed if it has one. Even with a full length re-size the brass has been weakened and increases the chance of a case failure. The worst-case scenario is a reloaded round chambering in the same orientation with the weak spot over the unsupported area again.

Any suspect reload is better fired in a handgun with a tight chamber, not the loose one you mention. A suspect round needs more support, not less. If in doubt pull the bullet, dump the powder, WD-40 or pop the primer, and toss the brass. It ain't worth it.

Speaking of picking brass, a Glock smile is so prevalent on .40 S&W around here that I only buy new brass nowadays, and I'm careful about picking up only my own. If I were determined to reload for a Glock .40 S&W, .45 ACP, or 10mm I would pick up a Lone Wolf (or better) barrel and eliminate any concern.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just dragged the box out and there are 6 out of 600. The pistol that I would shoot them in does not have a sloppy loose chamber just not as tight as my match chamber. No smiles visible they seem to be uniform in there fat little bases.

NRA Life Member
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a scrounger aspect to reloading where we go for cheap and I'm right there with ya. I try to buy or trade in bulk from my local sources and then we brag to each other later over who was screwed the worst. wink

The crap I see out there for .40 S&W range brass is one of the exceptions. I buy new.

Robert Frost
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You buy new 40 brass? Do you mean you just buy factory ammo or you buy the brass to reload? How many times do you reload it for a Glock?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, I buy new .40 S&W brass - generally Starline. I have loaded for a Glock 23 in the distant past, soon switched to a Storm Lake barrel, and then sold off the G23.

I generally get 4-6 loadings before I lose them.

Robert Frost
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Sorry Im late to the party but I have a G35 with over 40,000 rounds thorugh it, probably 99% are once fired, Winchester Ranger t brass. Cannot say I put 5000 through it this year but average is probably about 6-7000.

Standard load is 155 montana gold over 6.0gr titegroup. Give me about 1200fps. The only problem I have ever had is my Dads loads for his .40 STI were slightly to long to run in the Glock magazines, he shortened his so we now run the same load to prevent any problems. The problems were not pressure related at all, they would start to hang up on the magazine and give a failure to feed. I even run a limited amount of the 200LBT double tap ammo as a wilderness load but scrub the heck out of the barrel and would not run a bunch of that through the gun from a leading standpoint.

I do like most of the glock family (despise the smallest ones though) but think the MP is a better overall gun. I could easily switch out to the MP but being in California I stick with the Glock because those are the last high cap magazines I can access. With all of the ammunition components getting more expensive everyday my Advantage Arms conversion kit gets more use than ever. If AA comes out with a MP kit I would probably go with the .45 MP to make the most of my 10 rounds and live happily ever after.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,589
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.