Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
you ever pick up that shooter? pics?
Yep, I sure did. It's a jam-o-omatic. Can't get through a mag full without several jams of various types. Took it right back, since they have a guarantee on all their used guns. Instead of a refund, they said they'd have their in house gunsmith fix it. Well, he claimed to have, but when I got it back it was just about as bad as before. Took it back again and he says he's ordering some replacement springs for it. I only use high quality ammo, too, CCI Mini-Mags, what the gunsmith there recommended. No wonder it was put up for sale.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sounds like a mag tweek or swap is in order.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hawkeye,

Do you have a 2nd magazine for it? I really question the 'spring fix'...looks more like the rails on the magazine are not right. Keep us up on what happens. Wish someone with a Woodsman was close by so you could try a 2nd magazine.

Jerry

Huntsman...you're quicker at typing than me!

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 10/08/11.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
First thing he tried was tweaking the magazine. Didn't work. I've got no second mag for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
all with one finger, too......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were my problem...I'd get a second magazine and give it a go, I know I alway's have the question in the back of my mind whether I'm throwing more money down the drain, but I'd still try that if they won't take it back.

i also really like to have a working magazine to pattern the tweaks after before I go bending willy nilly.

From the picture you posted the rails don't look right and also from the way it's (not) feeding. Looks like it needs to be in a little morein the forward section. But it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. If you decide to look for a 2nd magazine, CDNN has them for 19.99 (plus ship).

It's a downer when things go like this.

Keep us in the loop

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
If it were my problem...I'd get a second magazine and give it a go, I know I alway's have the question in the back of my mind whether I'm throwing more money down the drain, but I'd still try that if they won't take it back.

i also really like to have a working magazine to pattern the tweaks after before I go bending willy nilly.

From the picture you posted the rails don't look right and also from the way it's (not) feeding. Looks like it needs to be in a little morein the forward section. But it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. If you decide to look for a 2nd magazine, CDNN has them for 19.99 (plus ship).

It's a downer when things go like this.

Keep us in the loop

Jerry
Thanks. Will do. Since the store sold it with a guarantee of proper function, if it needs a new mag, that would be the store's obligation. I'll let them try to fix it for a reasonable period of time, then demand a refund if they can't get it working right, or at least store credit.

PS They have another similar variant of that gun in their classic Colt showcase, so the gunsmith can use that magazine for comparison if he needs to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pistol looks to nice not to try another magazine.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by eh76
Pistol looks to nice not to try another magazine.
You're right. I think I will when I get back from Idaho, as I don't have time to deal with it right now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got a closeup of the magazine feed lips, out of the gun? Does it look like they have been modified?

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Got a closeup of the magazine feed lips, out of the gun? Does it look like they have been modified?
Not prior to my returning it, but after the gunsmith had it, it did look worked on, since it was worked on. That was the main thing he did to "fix" the problem. It just didn't work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the same thing with my High Standard, took a bit to get the mag just right. Once it was, she has run flawlessly for years. Hopefully the in-house smith knows what he's doing. It is really easy to screw up a mag if you don't. If you want to give a try yourself, at the range, there are detailed instructions from High Standard on adjusting mags. Those instructions work on other mags as well, as I have used them. The first time I did it, it was more beneficial to be able to move them a smidge and shoot it, move it a bit more and shoot it, then to bend them, cross your fingers and then hand it to the client and tell them it was good to go. Just some thoughts.

We have an in-house smith at one of the local shops I frequent. He learned all there is to know by watching those videos you can get in the back of an American Rifleman.....Wouldn't trust him to change out a recoil spring in a 1911, much less modify a gun like that. He could be great but you never know.

Good Luck, Ryan

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks Ryan. He actually has an indoor range there at the store just for reliability testing for this sort of thing.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Magazines are critical
but try different ammo too.
Mini mags may be too fast for it.

.22 pistols can be sensitive.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I bought it a few weeks ago, and it was having reliability issues. The in-house 'smith made two attempts to correct the problem, but failed. The store did the right thing and gave me a store credit for the full sale price. Would have preferred a refund, but that's not their store policy. I would spend that much in there in a year anyway, if past history is any measure, so no loss.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too bad, nice looking Colt!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Too bad, nice looking Colt!
Yes, it was. Seemed put together very well.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.