Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
hello, just wandering what the average price of the encores are and if they are worth it. asked about the wizard and got no reply. i am willing to pay $250-$300 if in good cond. is this too low? someone please help me out here.

"8mm rem mag, reach out n' touch something"

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Head practical joke coordinator of the turd-like people (aka the chitmonks)
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You can find used complete Encore rifles as low as $500. You can buy a used frame for $250-300. Component prices vary based upon manufacture & style.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No they are not worth it, at any price.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
$500? OMG I could get an xs7 for that plus a darn good scope and all my brass and stuff. Dang what about the wizard? I checked and there doesn't seem to be any info on them. by the way, the only reason I want a single shot is I am cheap/poor and want to get a 20ga and .22 barrel. The rifle I want is a .243. Can yall recommend some "whole" guns for $100-$150 in the other calibers/gauges? I have a pardner in 12ga and its just too light plus no vent rib. Thanks for the info, sorry for the long post.

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am sure you could buy a Red Ryder BB gun at Wal-Mart for under $100.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Time to buy cheap would be right AFTER deer season - lots of folks will get to needin a lil cash and right place, right time you're set.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
if you can get a complete rifle under $500 you're doing ok.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
think- frame $250 to $300, barrel $200, even used. so add them up and you're not far off

piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
mjbgalt, not to be rude but i don't think i'v SEEN more than two $500 rifles in my life. our rifles are as follows: h&r handi rifle, marlin .22 magnum, rossi matched pair(.22/.410), M1 GARAND, American eagle model 235.
The GARAND we got for $150. the handi is mine, i paid $300 for it, scope and all, new. smile

SEMPER FI

piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
reloader28, i had a redrider once, its more useful as a club.

SEMPER FI

IC B3

A
ARG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Having shot TC products for many years, yes the Encore is a good purchase, but you have to know where to find the good prices and get into the TC shooters circles to make it truly worth the money. TC shooters tend to flock together and the information they provide is vital to get the most out of the different platforms. There are plenty of good used parts, priced very well, out there to buy and build a rifle or pistol of your choosing. Used Encore rifles are 400-500, and barrels can be had for 150-350 depending on how fancy you want to go. I find frames as low as $200, but then you have to find all the other parts which can be time consuming depending on budget and caliber. One thing I will say, once you get into TC's, you will find yourself wanting more and more barrels and setups, which can really take a toll on the finances.

As for economical priced single shots, finding used H&R's or NEF's is a good purchase. In working with younger hunter's and younger/inexperienced shooters at clubs, these single shots have been great. Sub $100 shotguns and rifles from $125-$250 tend to come up for sale quite often, and having owned quite a few, I can say they are worth the money for the casual shooter/hunter. I am not a huge fan of the Wizard due to where the center of mass is with various barrels, but I have seen where they shoot fine.

The best 22/20 single shot I have ever purchased was a Rossi matched pair combo for under $100 new. The 22 shoots great (hits vertical .410 shells consistently) out to 50 yrds, and the 20ga kicks a little less than a Mossberg pump 20ga. While the youth stock doesn't fit me, the kids love it, and I simply add a cheap shoulder pad to get a LOP I like.

If you want a good vent rib shotgun, find a used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. I see them for sale in my travels for $150-$250 used, and they are well worth the money.

For a .243, I bought a Marlin XS-7 for $225 new a few months ago, and that has been the best small deer rifle I have ever owned. I went back and bought Marlin X-series in more calibers, and they all shoot better than any sub $300 gun I have seen.

Overall I would suggest the Encore for any serious shooter as I have seen how well they perform, but there are better options budget-wise.

S
S
I found a Rossi model R243MBS (.243 Win.) at Bud's Gun Shop here:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/385/sort/6a/page/1 for $225 inc. shipping or in a heavy barrel R243HBS for $233. I believe these models were made before the introduction of the Wizzard line and I'm not sure they were available with interchangeable barrels but for the price.......
I have one in .44 mag and I have no complaints.

SeeJay

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
you get what you pay for.

the rossis are so rough and ugly that i can't like them. the H&R though, is a pretty darn nice rifle for the price.

piero Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i agree totaly about the handies. i have one and its the most accurate rifle i've ever shot. i also have a pardner and boy do i wish i would have bought the 20. three rounds of bird shot and it was off to wally world for a limbsaver, its still too much for me. i think i'll go with an xl7, unless some kind of really good deal on a 700, vanguard, or TC venture comes along...
btw, thank everyone for the info. oh, seejay, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by piero; 11/08/11.

SEMPER FI

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think OP was specifically interested in the TC, but just in case he was looking for good/inexpensive here goes: I recently found a decent Bushnell scoped Mossberg .308 for a young friend for about $150 out the door at a pawn shop. It had a lot of Savage features, but IMO was a bit more handsome. The youngster says the rifle shoots great groups and he and his grandfather could not be more pleased. Until I ran across this one, Mossberg was not on my radar. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
piero, go to website e. authur brown....... they are the best site for tc encores

Men and Rivers are made crooked by the path of least resistance....!!!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,888 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,837
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.