Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sleeper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So it is time that I buy a gun safe. I have become increasingly frustrated with having most of my firearms at my Parent house and having to go out of my way to get them just to go to the range.

So After spending sometime on Craigslist and backpage looking at used safes that were not all that impressive I decided that buying new was the way to go.

I went to Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse and finally checked out Costco.com.

I planned on spending about 600.00 at 1st and soon realized that safes in that range were not very impressive. However after much thought and reading on the interweb I decided to pull the trigger on the Bighorn that Costco currently has on sale for 619 delivered to my door. For my money I thought it was the best I could do. Though the thought of buying a safe with out 1st fondling it made me a bit queezy.

On a whim I went to a local safe store on the way home from work. I spoke to the guy and maybe I got suckered in to a good sales pitch.... but after looking at some of the safe there that had been beaten up I was convinced that I made the wrong choice at Costco. I am home and and I have already called and Canceled the order.

So Now I am here asking for advice. (by advice feel free to call me stupid or any other names that may or may not be applicable!

So here are the contenders In order of price.
Costco Bighorn 19ecb 619.00 to my door
Champion Model T 710.00 (including tax) and I pick up (not a problem Ive got appliance dollies, and stupid friends who enjoy lifting stuff.
Champion Medalist Model m-22 (this is a 2010 model and he wants them out of his shop) 888.00 (including tax) I pick up.

I am not made of money, but I do want something that offers the best value for my dollar. the Champion Safes are made in Mexico, the Bighorn is made in China. The Champions have a reinforced door jam, the Bighorn, well I just dont know what that one offers. The Champions offer Higher and longer fire ratings with a 5 year (model T) or Lifetime on the Medalist.

I can not afford the upper models of Liberty safes and the Used Centurion I looked at wasnt as well built as the Champion (I thought)

Where would you spend the money?

Thanks for reading my A.D.D riddled post!

I fill this out in a bit.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a bad buy, but probably depends on how MUCH security do you need.

Here's a pic of the Bighorn.

[Linked Image]

Features:

Security Features:

*) UL Listed Commercial grade electronic lock
*) Triple hardplate protects from drill attacks
*) Extra thick rigid door for added security against prying attacks. 1.5� thick formed front, 4.75� overall thickness
*) 1� diameter door bolts securely lock the door at 8 different points for maximum protection (8 door bolts total)
*) 3-layer armored hard plate to protect the lock
*) Spring loaded re-locker keeps safe secure if lock is tampered with or removed
*) Quick and simple code entry for access
*) Easy to program entry codes
*) Up to 1,000,000 possible codes
*) Entry codes are stored inside the safe, not in the external keypad
*) Anti-tamper auto lockout after three incorrect code entries
*) Battery accessible from outside
*) User codes are not lost when battery is removed or goes dead or if keypad is damaged or removed
*) Weight: 407 lbs.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Sleeper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I honestly didn't think it was either, but for whatever reason I am super paranoid about having my house broken in to (again) and having my gun stolen (this time). I understand with any safe all you are buying is TIME. While I think I would be happy with the Bighorn. the Model T at 90 dollars more I think is a better buy, but only by a slim margin.

The fire rating on the Champions buys more time. 4 holes for bolts in the the Champion buys more time (Bighorn only has 2).

And like we all know, all we are buying is time, if the SOB wants it bad enough he will take it. I would however like him to work for it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Having sold safes at one time in my life I have a slightly different take.

There is no gun safe I cannot get into. There is almost no gun safe I could not steal if I really wanted it. If you are not going to build it into an underground steel and thick reinforced concrete vault it can be stolen.

So get a decent fire resistant safe that is big enough to hole all your guns, bolt it to the floor and you have done about all you can do. You can spent thousands of dollars more and it may slow me down five minutes.

BTW. Talk to your tax man but if you keep your tax records in your gun safe you may be able to wright it off.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Okay Scott, I'll bite. A 400lb safe in a basement, bolted to the floor with a one-inch thick piece of all-thread in a foot of concrete so that the safe will spin if you pry the jamb. How are you going to attack it without a torch, and if you use a torch, I've got a big-ass surprise for you.

IC B2

S
Sleeper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Scott F

BTW. Talk to your tax man but if you keep your tax records in your gun safe you may be able to wright it off.

Really! well, who knew it could make a little bit of money for you!

HA!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Peal it with a pry bar and a hydraulic device much like fire department jaws of life.

Many safes are made of mild steal and can best be attacked from the side. Some can be attacked with a cordless sawsall.

Some are locked with a lock so simple they can be opened by manipulation in a half hour or so leaving no marks or damage of any kind.

S
Sleeper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So Scott,

I understand what you are saying.

If I can assume I am guessing you are saying buy the Bughorn and save the cash?

Last edited by Sleeper; 11/01/11.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You think all that is a quandary. Just wait until you get one and within a year you realize it is about half the size you really need. That quandary hits everyone that has a gun safe.

Still cannot figure out how the guns breed in the dark.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Longbob
You think all that is a quandary. Just wait until you get one and within a year you realize it is about half the size you really need. That quandary hits everyone that has a gun safe.

Still cannot figure out how the guns breed in the dark.

It is exactly like a shop. If I built a hundred by four hundred shop it would half as big as I needed in six months.

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found mine (~400#) on c/l for $350. (Not sure of the fire rating.)

If you have a fire, you're going to be making an insurance claim, anyway, so paying extra for a really great fire rating doesn't make sense, to me. A small fireproof box, inside, can hold valuables/papers/cash.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sleeper
So Scott,

I understand what you are saying?

If I can assume I am guessing you are saying buy the Bughorn and save the cash?

I am saying but a reasonable safe that will hold all your valuables with a little room to grow and don't loose any sleep over your decision.

I have been out of the lock and security industry for about 28 years so I have no clue which is the best buy today. It sounds like the Costco would be OK but the better model that was last years bight be a better buy. Just don't worry about it being able to resist a serious attack because I have yet to see one I cannot open if I really wanted to.

My gun safe is a two hundred dollar non insulated safe and it has done a great job of keeping kids and casual sticky fingered people away from my guns for nine years. I would have bough it bigger and fire resistant if I could have afforded it at the time.

S
Sleeper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks Scott..

Dathan

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Any time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
Found mine (~400#) on c/l for $350. (Not sure of the fire rating.)

If you have a fire, you're going to be making an insurance claim, anyway, so paying extra for a really great fire rating doesn't make sense, to me. A small fireproof box, inside, can hold valuables/papers/cash.

It should make a lot of sense to you. Most homeowners plans are woefully inadequate if you have very many guns. The same with jewelry or other small valuables. If your limit is $10000 on guns, it doesn't take long to reach that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had a house full of antiques and guns years ago. Had a cherry rope bed valued at ten grand and a pre civil war hutch with original glass worth almost that much. I put an insurance rider on every peace. It was not that much more and it covered replacement cost. I would think a list of your firearms and a specific rider on them would cover the cost.

One advantage of getting rid of all the clutter and living a simple life is you don't have near as much to loose. wink

S
Sleeper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Look at your dec sheet, I am not sure what mine says off hand about fires and firearms, but my maximum Theft claim on firearms of 1500 bucks and 200 on jewelry. I saw that and called my agent right away.

now its 10k on firearms for theft and and 5k on jewelry. Again not sure what fire losses are covered at (they are different) but Ive found out the hard way the Insurance company is never on your side and your agent is normally a spineless sack of [bleep].

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I need a second mid-size safe. I am buying this one tomorrow when it goes on sale for $549. I looked it over and it's workable.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I found out the hard way that the more an insurance company can screw you the more they cam make. They are anything but your friend!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd go with one of the two Champions that you list. I looked up the economy Liberty safe (mid-sized/ LINK below), and the Champions have a better fire rating. As others have said, buy as much safe as you can afford. I'm referring to the quantity it will hold. My gun room is starting to look like a safe store :-). Good luck! -Tom T.

LINK:

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-centurion-safes-ps-20.html?tab=colors

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.