Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have taken up waterfowling in retirement and don't have much experience with selecting and shooting modern shells.

A friend is promoting the Black Cloud rounds - I have 3" chambered guns, no 3.5 inch guns.

What do you guys find to be effective?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use Winchester XPert or the Kent Fasteel. #2 & 4 for ducks and BB for geese. Both are 3" and 1 1/4oz shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite is 12 gauge, 3" steel DryLok by Winchester, #3 for ducks, BB for geese/swan, pattern very well in my chokes, "Decoy" tube by Trulok for ducks and "Midrange" by Carlson's for geese. Next best are Xpert and Fasteel shells. But you won't know until you get some different shells and pattern them in your shotgun - get your buddy to give you some of his Blackcloud to pattern. A hunting pardner is high on the ultra velocity Remington's (Hypers), he gave me a few, they are the worst patterning shells I have tried in my combination of gun/chokes - glad I didn't stock up on his recommendation - shoot good for him though.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
That new Remington Hypersonic stuff is going to by a hammer also. Spence

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
IT is hard to beat kentfaststill in #4 or#6 for thereprice an hammerbillity dont no why anyone would ever shoot any thing bigger than #4 if you put it onthem nothing can fly away from it!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Depending on how much shells your going to be going through hevi shot and other tungsten alloy shots might be worth it. If you shoot a lot steel is probably your only choice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shoot Kent Faststeel and find that price to performance it is the best out of my shotgun.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Depends on exactly what your hunting. I use #4s for early teal, #3s for all ducks midseason, and often switch to #2s for late season. For Canada geese i use bb. For 3 inch loads look for 1 1/4 preferably or 1 1/8 loads pushed as fast as possible. As for brands, I would try several brands to find out what patterns best in your gun at the ranges you hunt. A bargain price load may perform better than a top of the line load in your gun/choke combination.

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Depending on how much shells your going to be going through hevi shot and other tungsten alloy shots might be worth it. If you shoot a lot steel is probably your only choice.

Hevishot, if you can afford it. I am not convinced that steel really saves you that much either. Hevishot kills like the plague, and you don't have to reshoot swimmers on the water. And you don't have the flyaways that are a problem with steel.

I use 2 3/4 in sixes in an old A5 and and LC smith...the Classic Doubles load in the LC. Both kill better than the 3 and 3 1/2 Roman candles my buds shoot in their Benellis and Berretas with steel shot.

My shells might cost twice as much, but I don't need nearly as many to get six ducks. YMMV.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use Winchester's Xpert or Federal's version. Often my local funstore puts the Federal/Winchester offerings on sale just prior to the season. Kent's Fasteel is quite good also. I use #3 and #2 for ducks, BBB's for geese. YOu could get by with lighter shot if you are using dekes, close in, and pick your shots. Late season ducks I may even step up to BB's (I'm talking Northern Mallards here). I seldom buy the Boutique loads, if I do it's for geese. Find a load that patterns well and stock up.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..Pattern your gun..

One gun could pattern best with number 2s kent... And so on.. Pattern your gun to find out what it likes..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kent Faststeel 3" 1&1/8 1560 fps #1'S work well on everything. I like the 3.5" 1&3/8 1550 fps vversion too.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm having an intresting year. I hunt salt water and have over the years accumulated a bunch of shells that have rusty brass from exposure to salt. I spent a few evenings in front of the tube sanding the rust off the brass and giving them a light coat of Johnsons paste wax. So far I've gone trough 3 boxes of #2 and #3's by Rem, Win, Kent, and Estate just loading them in the gun whatever comes out of the bag. I'm having one of the best seasons ever. Out here in the salt I shoot a 21" barrel 870 12ga with a SK-II choke. All my hunting is over decoys so I'm not stretching it. Yesterday I set up with 4 pintail decoys and picked up a Widgeon, Pintail and the flock of eight geese that tried to land in the dekes left one of there bretheren behind for my chistmas dinner.

I pretty much believe that it doesn't matter what you shoot if your willing to let them come in close enough.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Federal Ultra-Shok 3" shells are on sale at Roger's Sporting Goods for around $135 a case delivered, better components, better patterns(at least for me) and they knock down birds consistently. I was in the fast camp for awhile, now I am in the pattern density and payload camp.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to reload when steel was first mandated but nowdays it's not nearly as cost effective as it used to be.

Nowdays I shoot the cheapest Remington steel they offer I get with a discoutn thru the state @ around $75/case (every year it seems like they have a new name for it).

I have always shot 2-3/4" #6 over decoys but I am very picky on how close I shoot. I wear glasses and try to keep my head down to avoid glare/flaring ducks and wait till I hear the ducks back pedalling right before they splash down to pop up and shoot. I would say my average shot is between 15-20 yards. Further than that and I can't hear them, unless I have someone else with me.

If I'm going for diver ducks in a layout rig I step up to #4 and #2 on snow geese and BB on canadians all in a 3" size.

When I worked as a part time I guide I shot BB or T shot (whatever I could find locally) out of a 10gauge 3-1/2" shell to knock down cripples someone else had shot and only shot at cripples.

I took a pic because I coudln't remember the name of it. Order these thru the state @ $75/case and still have about 8 cases from last order. I don't know what retail is - hell for all I know I am getting ripped off but I keep ordering cause they have been working.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 11/21/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Black Cloud is good stuff . 3" all you need.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If you want something a little more affordable than the original hevi-shot, try hevi-metal. It is a mix of steel and hevi-shot that is extremely lethal for the price. I have shot #3's at anything from Teal to big Canadians and have found it extremely effective.

Thanks,
Nick

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We use 1 1/4 ounce of steel. Actually, have gone back to using Federal 2 3/4" loads as they shoot very well. Have had our best results with Federal (either blue box or expensive stuff), but the Federal seems to work better than cheap Remington and Winchester. Never could get Estate to shoot well. Lots of people around here like Kent Fasteel (never tried it yet myself).

#2 for ducks all season, though #3 works well early.
#BB for all geese all season.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DUCKBRX
IT is hard to beat kentfaststill in #4 or#6 for thereprice an hammerbillity dont no why anyone would ever shoot any thing bigger than #4 if you put it onthem nothing can fly away from it!

We had #4 in Alaska 2 years ago on seaducks... lets just say you can see your impact, and I knocked down a number of birds in centers of patterns that just woke up a bit later and flew off.... I wanted to grab 2s, but tehre were none to be found on short notice.... Of course on passing shots, we had no dekes on a deer hunt, the distance was not real close but certainly close enough to kill had I larger shot...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used steel in #3 or #4 shot this season, all in 2-3/4" shells. Brands were Challenger, Kent, and Winchester Drylock. Teal and mallards over decoys, some out to 40 yards with a Mod. choke, but usually I use an Imp Cyl. Even one nice big Canada at about 30 yards fell dead to the #3s. Choose velocity over payload, and you won't go wrong.

P.S. I rarely if ever feel a need to use 3" for ducks.

Last edited by grouseman; 12/09/11.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (320090T, 163bc, 10Glocks, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,939
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.