Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I am thinking of buying a bino harness and have never used one. Are they really that much better? Do they restrict movement? Mostly which brand should I get? Are they all pretty much the same?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Alaska guide chest pack is much better than an elastic type harness in my experience.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the simple elastic Butler Creek(?) version.

Way better than a neck strap IMO. The tension of the harness is helpful when glassing, makes things a little more steady.

I originally tried the harness for use when gathering cows on a horse. It works good enough for that but the bino's still fly around if you get cruising. Won't be a problem hunting.
If it does get bumpy or really wet or you're crawling on a sneak just tuck them under a slighty unzipped jacket.

I would feel like a techno goob hunter using one of the chest pouches but that's just me. Feel like a big enough goober using the harness....grin

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/05/11.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Tucking them in a slightly unzipped jacket works well for me. The chest strap on my backpack supports most of the weight of the binocular and the neck strap is hardly noticeable.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
nuguy,

Yes there are differences but IMO the major differences are in the quality of the materials used in manufacturing.

I've seen harnesses for as little as $8.00 online and they don't look any different than other harnesses for $30.00, if you are just looking at an online picture that is. But, usually there is a big difference in the quality of the elastic webbing straps. Also, the way your binos are attached to the harness can make a big difference in the price and quality of the harness.

IMO Op-tech USA makes a great quality harness with thick elastic webbing that will last many years of use.Also, their quick-release mechanism is second to none, $20.75(online @ Adorama w/ free shipping).

Vortex make a decent quality harness($22) also with good quality webbing, but not quite as thick as OP-Tech's harness. Vortex's method of attachment isn't as refined as OP-Tech's either but I like their thick leather back patch better than OP-Tech's.

Gander Mountain's harness is really good quality as long as you get the camo strap model, $20. The black elastic webbing model for $15 uses cheap(thin) elastic that stretches too much and from personal experience it will wear out quickly. The camo model uses great quality(thick) elastic webbing and will last. Bino attachment is similar to Vortex's(which is serviceable but just not as nice as OP-Tech's QR system).
On the plus side, GM's shipping is free so that will save you a few bucks.

Leupold makes a harness that looks to be really good quality(leupold xtreme bino-harness #55895). I have no experences with it but the reviews I have read seem to point out that the elastic straps(dark brown in color) are thick and of good quality. Their attachment system from pictures online seems to be similar to OP-Tech USA's which is excellent but I would call before you purchase online to make sure you are getting the quick-release attachments with your harness(only available on their Xtreme harness I believe). I've seen pictures online of a cheaper Leupold harness with cheap attachments for less money. Prices online vary widely from $20-$35 or so.

I'm the type of person who modifies things to suit my needs and as such have modified all of my harnesses(Gander Mountain, Vortex) to use the OP-Tech quick-release attachments; these really are the best ones out there, IMO.

Bass Pro has one that looks pretty good also with QR attachments, but I have no experience with it.

If I were purchasing my first bino-harness, knowing what I now know, I'd be inclined to go with the OP-Tech USA elastic harness or the Leupold X-treme harness(#55895). I think I could be happy with either one of those without any modifications.

Hope this info helps. IMO, bino harnesses are 100% better than using a regular bino strap. They really do do what they claim as far as reducing neck strain and fatigue. I won't hunt without one anymore, YMMV.

Good luck, Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 11/05/11.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick Young outdoors strap. Much improved over the crooked horn style. You will thank me later. I love these. About $15.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have used this model since the first of September. I really like it. You should look it over.

http://s4gear.com/products/lockdown

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For light binoculars most cheap ones are fine.

For heavies like my geovids i have tried many systems and they all pale in comparison to the nimrod system.

Try it - you wont regret it.

The key is the top straps being nylon and not elastic and the tethers

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ditto Wally's post; really like mine!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
For light binoculars most cheap ones are fine.

For heavies like my geovids i have tried many systems and they all pale in comparison to the nimrod system.

Try it - you wont regret it.

The key is the top straps being nylon and not elastic and the tethers

I've been using the nimrod one for about a year and a half now and while I really like the construction of it, I have a huge problem with it always riding up in the back and basically ending up on the back of my neck which drives me crazy. You ever have that issue with yours?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crooked Horn Outfitters.

MM

Crooked Horn Outfitters

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This past season, I've used the S4 system. I think it's better than the Crooked Horn, which is ok but a bit floppy. I've also got the Eberlestock Multipack, which I use as chest pack hooked into the shoulder straps of my pack. The S4 is pretty secure and lets me get the binos in and out quickly while on the move. I like it a lot, especially when I'm just out for the day. The Eberle I use when I'm backpacking since it can carry my binos, GPS, rangefinder, map and a Cliff Bar. It's not as quick as the S4 as far as getting the binos out for use but it's a nice piece of gear for what I use it for. I've got both the large and small S4. My Vortex 6x32 Vipers fit perfectly in the small. My 7x42 SLC's barely fit into the large. The large size would be better for me if they were a little longer and a little wider to better fit the SLC's.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have really liked the Butler Creek Bino-Caddy as all the straps and weight is on the shoulders and nothing on my poor old injured neck. It has worked flawlessly on my Leica 10X42s for years.

But it is also the only harness of its type I have used, so take that for what you paid for it. wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Another vote for the s4 lockdown.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Crooked Horn Outfitters.

MM

Crooked Horn Outfitters

Yup, use the same thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
s4 is the best out right now. Don't tell my wife I've tried all the rest.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Alaska Guide Creations is the way to go IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Trying out the Optic Belt this season. It is a simple elastic belt to hold binoculars while you move with a neoprene flap to cover your eyepieces from moisture. You can use the neck strap that comes with your binoculars or purchase a matching one to the Optic Belt. I haven't hunted in a heavy rain or extreme cold yet, but so far it works pretty well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the nimrods. I also use one of these and love it.

http://www.schnees.com/product/2598/Hunting-Accessories

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Throw my vote in for the S4 Lockdown. I have been using mine for archery over the last two months and love it. Great system that solves a few of the issues that the basic bino-harness displays.

Frank
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 160user, 16gage, 60 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,318
Posts18,505,737
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.