Hop To
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Watch and listen to this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7189867&categoryid=2564308

1941 Heisman Trophy winner, Bruce Smith (University of Minnesota), delivering a speech just days after Pearl Harbor.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
The transcript of Mr. Smith's speech:

Transcript of Bruce Smith's 1941 Heisman acceptance speech

�Mr. Chairman, Mr. President and members of the Downtown Athletic Club, ladies and gentleman: So much of emotional significance has happened in such a brief space of time that the task of responding on such an occasion leaves me at a loss to assign relative value.

No college football player could ask for a greater honor or thrill than to have his name added to the list of Jay Berwanger, Larry Kelley, Clint Frank, Davey O�Brien, Nile Kinnick and Tom Harmon, who preceded me in winning this coveted Heisman Trophy. My gratitude is sincere and my appreciation deeply felt. I can really only accept this trophy on behalf of my great Minnesota teammates and one of the greatest coaches of all time Bernie Bierman.

(Applause)

(Unintelligible) ...in the spirit of becoming modesty, but our team was good this year and literally carried me along to this honor. It was a year which was so productive with successful, outstanding and colorful players. The sportwriters and radio ambassadors had to make an exceptionally difficult decision, as was indicated by the small margin of votes between Angelo Bertelli of Notre Dame and myself.

I hope I can justify your decision of the majority. My dad, who is here this evening, is a lawyer back in Faribault, Minnesota. He tells me that the proper way to explain it is that I would be holding the trophy in trust of my teammates. Since I seem to be getting elaborate, however, I want to openly and firmly thank those teammates and my coach for without them this honor would have been absolutely impossible. To them I owe everything.

(Applause)

Football certainly has become an important part of American life. It even seems to have a place in diplomacy. I remember reading in the newspapers that Mr. Caruso (sic), the Japanese envoy, told the newspapermen on arriving here that he expected to carry the ball for a touchdown. As you all know by now, it didn�t work out that way. It looked as though he tried a quarterback sneak before the field was ruled.

(Applause and laughter)

In the Far East they may think American boys are soft, but I have had, and even have now, plenty of evidence in black and blue to prove that they are making a big mistake. (Applause) I think America will owe a great debt to the game of football when we finish this thing off. If six million American youngsters like myself are able to take it and come back for more, both from a physical standpoint and that of morale. If teaching team play and cooperation and exercise to go out and fight hard for the honor of our schools, then likewise the same skills can be depended on when we have to fight to defend for our country.

(Applause)

This is my first visit to New York and I find it very exciting. To the members of the Downtown Athletic Club, I offer my sincere thanks. "
(Applause)

http://faribault.com/content/hearing-bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful!

These days, if a kid gave a speech like that.........chances are his agent hired some PR guy to write it for him.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Today, if a kid gave a speech like that, the MSM would eviserate him.

But, there'd be several QUALITY NFL teams that would take him, very quickly.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple of Bruce Smith Redskins jerseys.

One of the good guys for sure.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm a big fan of Army's last Heisman... Pete Dawkins, cut from the same cloth as Mr. Smith!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only other D lineman I've seen play better is Reggie White. Great speech!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okok
Only other D lineman I've seen play better is Reggie White. Great speech!

Wrong Bruce Smith.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.