-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a bark river Fox River knife. I can skin and completely debone a deer and still slice paper afterwards. Convex edge is easy to maintain.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kman
I use a bark river Fox River knife. I can skin and completely debone a deer and still slice paper afterwards. Convex edge is easy to maintain.

What do you use and how do you sharpen it? My Bark River Highland Special is my first convex ground knife.

THX
Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a DLT leather strop loaded with black and white compound (bark river makes it).

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I use the Schrade sharp finger that is one handy knife, skinned alot of elk/deer/hogs with that one; where guys with expensive knives would try to keep their knives sharp it holds a good edge. But I do like and have used the Blackjack Effingham carbon steel, Case old style and Randall all carbon steel knives.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
If you are looking for Schrade knives on ebay just type in Schrade USA and it will be the good ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-USA...llectible_Knives&hash=item43aa81886b

I bought a custom from MRK on the 'fire, for $150 shipped. Great knife and an awesome maker.

I like the old Schrade knives also, I carry a Sharpfinger quite a bit.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the investment it's hard to top a Winston. I have both David Winston and Jason Winston versions and they're awesome knives. My favorite is David's Model 45 seen below with Maroon Micarta scales.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
An old Schrade USA Woodsman that I got when I was a teenager in a gunshop in N.C. on vacation, or one of two Case Skinners.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a handful that I use. An old Browning FDT is really usefull and easy to sharpen. I have a Camillus version of a Buck 110 that is really nice, but slippery when wet. I have a Schrade Elk Hunter I got from RMEF that was scary sharp for several deer projects and still gets really sharp with the Lansky. The gut hook is worthlessly dull and I can't figure out how to sharpen it. I have a custom skinner that is pretty nice and I used my KOA Bush Camp Knife on 3 elk this year, sharpened between elk. I thought it would be too big, but it did pretty well. In have a skinner combo from KOA and the skinner is dull as crap and has a weird edge that I can't get sharp, but still working on it. The caper in the combo is alright, but like mentioned above, I don't like them as much as I feel like I should. I love knives, but don't know all that much about the different steels and edges. About the only way I can sharpen worth a crap is with a Lansky, so if that won't work on the blade, its a worthless knife to me.

Salmonhead
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It is hard to beat a Buck 110! Another good option is an Old Timer with the gut hook on the back. I would only buy a made in U.S.A Old Timer though. The new ones are made in china. Very sad!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RDW
I am real late to this thread but here are my experiences and thoughts. The first time I skinned a deer with my Buck 110 my Mom gave me 25 years ago, I just about cut my hand off because it was slippery with blood and the upturned point dug deep <<< inexperience too.

I switched to my carry knife, a small drop point Michael Walker Spyderco and finished the work. After that first deer, I picked up a Spyderco Native and used that a few years.

I bought a Schrade Old Timer 143T for 19.99 at Academy, a rubber handled gut hook skinner and that became my all time favorite hunting knife. It was easy to grip when bloody, the gut hook works great and the drop point is easier for me to skin with.

Someone liked it more than me and it disappeared while I was on the farm. A family member probably borrowed it and lost it or was too scared to return it.

I have had the sheath in the kitchen drawer for 5-7 years and it bugged me so I jumped on Ebay a few months ago and found one. I did not know Schrade went out of business. So I bought a replacement and when it arrived I was bummed, it was a chinaloca copy and I had no idea Schrade had them made anywhere but the USA! I gave it to my cousin as a birthday present and ordered another, Made in the USA and then a second, a 141 drop point skinner as backup.

There is no doubt that I would love to own some of the custom, micarta scaled, red liner, fancy pinned, back filed drop points that have surfaced on the classifieds but it will be hard to beat the utterly simple, not so pretty, 20.00 Schrade.

[Linked Image]

+1

had mine given to me for christmas several years ago and it's worked well for me.
Just picked up a KOA Jaeger and Cub also, hope I like them as much.

Brett
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.