Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
OK you win, the 32mm objective Nightforce has magical coatings on it.
It might, I don't know never even saw one, but did not make that claim either. But, I'd bet that even with it's smaller exit pupil a new 32mm NF is brighter than a 40mm blister pack Bushnell/Simmons/etc that is 10+ years old been used hard and not maintained all that nicely. Yes, its an apples to oranges, but so is just basing the brightness of a scope solely on the exit pupil calculation. However, for the hunting I do, I'd bet either option would be more than adequate. But, then again I don't fret over some of the nits that you obviously do...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i tried onbe a few years back....bombproof construction, great adjustments but eyebox was lacking and reticle wasnt bold and illuminating it washed out the image....imo they need to incorporate the fire-dot type illumination that leupold uses

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OK now I understand you just want to argue the principle of the thing and it has nothing to do with the original posters question about the 2.5 x 10 x 32 Nightforce. You don't own a NF 2.5 x 10 x 32, you don't own a blister pack scope (I hope) and yet you want to argue the NF is better! Perfect! Argue all you want, as a matter of fact I won't disagree with you! On the other hand at least I own a Night Force scope and have looked through it a time or two.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't say the NF is better. You really need to work on some comprehension. I've used the NF as an example. THE only points I've really tried to make are as follows:
1. What you did was not "science" IMO, only math. That comment was mostly an apparently bad attempt at humor.
2. That exit pupil calculations alone are not the only factor in determining scope brightness.

PS- As an aside, I'll be taking two shotguns deer hunting next week. One wears a Leupold 4X and the other a blister pack 1.5X4.5. Both will see use.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Jimmy is making a pretty good point. A 32mm scope can't use as much magnification as a 40mm plus scope when the light gets bad. It isn't about a dim image, it's about no image at all, if it gets dark enough.
The 32mm will work fine in twilight. But not at 8X like a 40mm scope. At about 5X, it's image should be bright enough even on the darkest days. The downside is that the guy with the 40mm scope is going to able to see the same things further out because he's using more magnification.
Yes, this is from actually using such scopes at different levels of twilight. E

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i tried onbe a few years back....bombproof construction, great adjustments but eyebox was lacking and reticle wasnt bold and illuminating it washed out the image....imo they need to incorporate the fire-dot type illumination that leupold uses

Exactly. It's a nice scope but it just isn't user friendly. Nightforce are fantastic scopes but thier claim to fame isn't light transmission. Jimmy was also spot on with his comments.

Terry

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I got into NF scopes about 3 years back. They may not have "it" all but they got what's necessary. I'll always have several around. I do have the 2.5-10x32mm with the NP-R2 reticle. I love it. I can't figure out what folks mean when they say the reticle gets washed out when they use the illum. That particular illum is adjustable via the left side adjustment knob. It can be turned down quite low or up quite brightly. It's dead nutz accurate for turret twisters like myself. If it wasn't, I'd have gotten rid of it long time ago. Heavy, sure, but so are some of the other scopes mentioned above.

Alan

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, it's a rock solid scope. My problems with it are eye relief, eye placement at high powers and the fact that it's not a very bright scope. The issue with the reticle washing the image out can be experienced when you can barly see what you're trying to shoot with the scope, you can't make out the reticle because they're fine target reticles and not the best choice for lowlight situations. When you turn the reticle illumination on so you can see the reticle the image is no longer visible even at the lowest setting. This is a common problem with lighted reticle scopes and isn't exclusive to the NF compact models although they seem to suffer from it more than others.

I'm huge fan of the full size NSX scopes. They are tough as nails, have repeatable adjustments and the new "high speed" turrets have the best feel to me of any of the "tactical" scopes on the market right now. They are fantastic scopes at the range but for the money I can do MUCH better in a HUNTING scope. REPEAT, in a HUNTING scope.

These are just my observations from my time owning one of the NSX compact models and looking through a few others. If you can make it work for you and your situation that's great.

Terry

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by TC1

They are fantastic scopes at the range but for the money I can do MUCH better in a HUNTING scope. REPEAT, in a HUNTING scope.
Terry

It was a serious question that I asked earlier because if there's something better, I'll use it.

In a hunting scope on a normal hunting rifle used for dialing with comparable size, durability, and consistency... Which scopes are better?

The S&B Precision Hunter is out due to single turn limitations. Swarovski is a no go simply because mine and everyone else's that I saw this year on students guns failed in two days.

Not a fanboy, and the 2.5-10x32 isn't my "favorite". But for using this scope to hunt with, it bothers me none to turn the power ring to 6x to "see" at twilight, and there is no scope that encompasses all that the little Nightforce does. The SWFA 3-9x is the only one I've used that comes close.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
When you say the scope failed, what did it do ? Or stop doing ? E

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by TC1

They are fantastic scopes at the range but for the money I can do MUCH better in a HUNTING scope. REPEAT, in a HUNTING scope.
Terry

It was a serious question that I asked earlier because if there's something better, I'll use it.

In a hunting scope on a normal hunting rifle used for dialing with comparable size, durability, and consistency... Which scopes are better?

The S&B Precision Hunter is out due to single turn limitations. Swarovski is a no go simply because mine and everyone else's that I saw this year on students guns failed in two days.

Not a fanboy, and the 2.5-10x32 isn't my "favorite". But for using this scope to hunt with, it bothers me none to turn the power ring to 6x to "see" at twilight, and there is no scope that encompasses all that the little Nightforce does. The SWFA 3-9x is the only one I've used that comes close.

Here's what I did, it may or maynot be to your liking. I sold my NSX compact and replaced it with a Leupold MR/T 2.5-8X36 and I'm much happier with it. It's brighter, has decent eye relief and as long as my head is behind the scope I get a good sight picture. The "ease of use" factor is very high with this scope and mine tracks well and returns to zero with no problems. The clarity doesn't match the NF but it's close enough that I consider it a small trade off. It's about the same size and lighter to boot. I know some don't like Leupold these day's but I've always found them in the running no matter what scope I'm in the market for.

I have no experience with the S&B Summit but if you can get an elevation turret installed on one I would think it would be a great choice too. If you're able to comprimise on size there are lots of great choices.

Terry

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
One with an elevation turret completely locked up, one where each click adjusted closer to 3.6 inches vs. .36in at 100 yards, one so inconsistent that it was unusable for dialing, etc, etc...

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
One with an elevation turret completely locked up, one where each click adjusted closer to 3.6 inches vs. .36in at 100 yards, one so inconsistent that it was unusable for dialing, etc, etc...

Which model Swaro gave all the trouble?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Habichts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
most all scopes fail after a while, some faster than others. My NF has been in once to the factory. So have several Conquests, Leupolds, and a Kahles.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.