Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by rbodenburg529
I looked into it buy it seems they don't make much hunting amo for it. Just match grade stuff. Very effective for a snyper but not great for the big game to just punch clean holes. I'm kinda looking for the one gun for any job. I know that doesn't always work but I think the 338 wm will do everything I want.

I may have scanned this thread a bit quickly and missed it, but I didn't see anything about what animals you plan on hunting. Unless you're just going to punch holes in paper, the answer to that question should drive your selection. What animals will you hunt most often? And what's the biggest animal you will definitely hunt with your new rifle?

He said elk....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
300WSM. Everything you need for elk to 600y+

RLTW
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
7WSM Would fit the bill at well, and your friends are unlikely to have one.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking to buy a big game rifle and have been asking for input. Most say get a 30-06 it's all you'll ever need. Some say the 300 win mag is great for range power. I'm looking at a 338 just to be a little different and bigger than the guys I hunt with. What's your take on this round or any other good ideas. Thanks. Ryan.

I own and hunt with both. For bullets up to 200 grains I like the 300 Win, for bullets over 200 I like the 338. You dont specify what game animals you intend to hunt in your post. If your looking for a dedicted elk rifle I would go with the 338. If your looking for an all around big game rifle, the 300 is the way to go

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
After all the input Im thinking I'm just going to get the 338 like I wanted in the first place. Anyone want to comment on a rifle now? I like my savage 12ga. Wouldn't mind having another. I would rather a synthetic gun because I won't drag nice wood thru brush and all the elements.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the stainless Rugers

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I just looked. Nice looking firearm. Is that 800-1000 $ on pace for new and quality?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
After all the input Im thinking I'm just going to get the 338 like I wanted in the first place. Anyone want to comment on a rifle now? I like my savage 12ga. Wouldn't mind having another. I would rather a synthetic gun because I won't drag nice wood thru brush and all the elements.

It's about feel, not looks. When you're burning that much powder, fit is essential. Handle a bunch of rifles, & see what feels most natural to you. Then surf the classifieds here for a killer deal on a used one.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd call your Buddy that has a .338 and test drive his first, full and reduced loads in his rifle.
It's a fine cartridge and if it's what you want, do it, but knowing what to expect will make the choice easier. smile

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
We plan to do that after deer season. I think that will be the deciding factor. I'll either love or hate it. I guess talking about it only goes so far. Letting a few rounds fly will put it in prospective.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like you had your mind made up before you even asked the question.....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I did a bit. But without the ability to take rifles for a test drive before you buy one, I was looking for owners of both and more experienced shooters input. And feel I got it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I did a bit. But without the ability to take rifles for a test drive before you buy one, I was looking for owners of both and more experienced shooters input. And feel I got it.

If you can handle the recoil of the 338 win mag, you will love it. I generally shoot mine a couple of times a year and use my 308's, 30-06's and 300 wsm for practice. They are much funner to shoot than the 338 win. I went out and shot 40 rounds of the heavies through mine a few weeks ago to make sure it (and I blush) was ready for elk season. It's a great choice when you have elk in mind.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
That's what I'm looking for. Take it out a few times a year and get a box down range and be ready for a hunt anytime. What's your set- up if you don't mind sharing?

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nothing wrong with a 30-06 or 280 Remington for what you envision. I am in agreement with others here as well that the 300 WSM would be a great choice for calibers.

Hard to go wrong with the new Winchester Model 70 classic sporter or the laminate stocked model, or the new Ruger Hawkeye, also considering the laminate stocked model.

I'm a hard-core Ruger #1 fan though and they are a terrific rifle. I'm partial to the #1B, but unfortunately this model Ruger is not in their catalog this year. Good luck with lots of good choices out there.
David

Last edited by 6mm; 11/15/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what I'm looking for. Take it out a few times a year and get a box down range and be ready for a hunt anytime.

that's just great...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like you had your mind made up before you even asked the question.....

That's what most of these threads ar about.... smile

The OP's are not so much seeking advise, as much as confirmation.

I've noticed that the guys who do well with 338's (and 300 magnums)and similar cartridges are hard core riflemen, with high round count with a good many other cartridges.They are experienced shooters and hunters,and inured to recoil and its' effects.They don't have to ask what a 338 will do for them because they already know through previous experience with other stuff.They have the basics down pat through years of experience....these guys annualy have round counts numbering in the thousands.

Folks with lesser experience don't do so well with them.They buy based on notions of horsepower and other mystical killing qualities,don't put in the time to practice correctly, or in sufficient amounts to be really good with the rifles.

IMHO they are better served with a 30/06 that they can shoot, manage and control.In short,if they have to ask whether they need a 338 or a 300 magnum,they probably should not buy either one.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/15/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either way, he's going to get one green box of ammo a year to get on paper, and then come out here to blast away at elk from five hundred yards away.

I really want to know where he's going to hunt, so I can be as far away as [bleep] possible.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If planning on an elk hunt, go hike around the Rockies at 10k+ and then consider what you want in a hunting rifle. I'm guessing light weight will become a bigger factor than it is now. With that, recoil becomes a factor.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gotta agree with Rancho and Bob. If you have to ask you aren't ready for a 338. Just cause you shoot a shotgun with 3" magnums doesn't mean you should be shooting a 338 and you are really fooling yourself if you think it's gonna work to run a box or two a year thru and be "ready". Get something you can handle and will practice with. I have most all of 'em including a handful of 30-06's, 300 winnys, 340 wby etc. If you can shoot 'em that's great, but if you're lookin' for a one gun battery just do the 30-06 or a 7 mag and get over the bigger is better syndrome. You will practice more and will be a better hunter as a result.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.