Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I should have just left my bid alone - they're all the way to $900 for the Leica Trinovid BA 10x42s!!!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What's been said about the difference between the BA and BN Leicas is correct, closer focus distance of the BN. What wasn't mentioned is that the later BA's and all of the BN's were made with much tougher coatings than the SLC's. Ask Flinch about his experiences with both.
The Leicas don't have the Swaro fogging problems that the Swaros still have in places like Alaska apparently. Ask Phil Shoemaker about his experiences.
The point about the new Meoptas is well taken. BTW, the Zeiss Jena's were not nearly as good as the last of the old Zeiss Classics. The FL's are better still.
Just for the record, I believe that Leica binoculars are the best anywhere, at any price. But I will no longer buy them as they are simply too expensive for what one gets. I'd buy either a Meopta or a now discontinued Leupold Gold Ring in a 10X42. E

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What's been said about the difference between the BA and BN Leicas is correct, closer focus distance of the BN. What wasn't mentioned is that the later BA's and all of the BN's were made with much tougher coatings than the SLC's. Ask Flinch about his experiences with both.
The Leicas don't have the Swaro fogging problems that the Swaros still have in places like Alaska apparently. Ask Phil Shoemaker about his experiences.
The point about the new Meoptas is well taken. BTW, the Zeiss Jena's were not nearly as good as the last of the old Zeiss Classics. The FL's are better still.
Just for the record, I believe that Leica binoculars are the best anywhere, at any price. But I will no longer buy them as they are simply too expensive for what one gets. I'd buy either a Meopta or a now discontinued Leupold Gold Ring in a 10X42. E

LMAO...The usless babbling is back!!! Please show us the tougher coatings on the Leica Bino's and how did you test them??? As a side note, talk to Phil now about Swaro's..His tune has changed and don't favor your skewed views so you will not mention that!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh, sure. I'll wait for them to post. Which I haven't seen yet. As for testing, Flinch made his experiences quite clear. BTW, he didn't ask about the latest stuff. He asked about the older models. Which you seem to have missed in your emotional response. E

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I see the resident professor stopped by again!! BTW they have already been posted but, as usual you couldn't read them!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
You should be able to find a SLC NEU made in the last several years in your price point. That is the most logical thing for you to buy IMO.

Bingo! I had an SLCneu and it had much better glass and ergos than my Trinovid.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Trinovid's might have been sumptin in their day, but that day was twenty five years ago. I had a pair that I dumped for some Peregrine's.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
...The Leicas don't have the Swaro fogging problems that the Swaros still have in places like Alaska apparently....

Did a Swarovski rep run off with your wife or something? I've been on this forum for years and don't think I've ever seen a post involving swarovski binoculars where you didn't spout this BS, and you're the only person I've ever heard it from.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not to seem as if I totally agree with E on this issue but I want to point out something to support some of his claim. Over on birdforum there is a post in the Swaro forum specifically detailing fungus growing on multiple units of the new Swarovisions.

I am sure it happens at one time or another with all bins but to see so many for such a new model surprised me a bit.

Frank
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Try asking the source, Phil Shoemaker. I repeat it because, for the money, Swaros shopuld not have those problems after 4-5 years. The other top brands, including the $1000 class binos, don't. E

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Try asking the source, Phil Shoemaker. I repeat it because, for the money, Swaros shopuld not have those problems after 4-5 years. The other top brands, including the $1000 class binos, don't. E

You're the source because you're the one spouting it. Between myself and the guys in my hunting camp we have around 10 pairs of swarovski binoculars ranging from 20 to 3 years old, not one of them has ever fogged. The sum total of problems we've had out of them is one broken eyecup (me) and another guy who cracked the prism by dropping them 30 feet out of a climbing treestand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Phil must know something you don't cause he owns two pair now.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Phil is a God apparently. No wait a second "E" hates Swaro and readily admits it. This may be the pinnacle of stupidity.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not necessarily. In the posts that I've seen, he's retesting them long term. Their infamous fogging problem takes a number of years to show up. Something you guys also seem to have missed. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't missed anything, just stating a fact that he owns two pair of Swaro's.....and EL and a SLC. Sorry that facts disappoint you. So long as you are playing advocate, are you advising folks about Leics's jerky/sticky focus wheels and poor CS ? I just recently had a brand new pair of Ultravid HD's in my hands and sure enough, still have that jerky/sticky focus wheel problem. Great glass though.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Swaro all the way. Best customer service period!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of BS here.

Eyes are a very personal thing. I don't see how anyone can recommend a pair of a certain type of binocular to another person based on the eyesight part of it. I do agree that one can recommend based on how the mechanics have performed.

I suggest that the buyers goes to a good store that carries all of the brands interested in. Ask to look at them all. Go back in the morning and the evening. If they complain remind them you are contemplating buying a very expensive item and you want to get it right.

I have owned Leica BN, Leica Ultralight, the current top Zeiss model, and now the latest Swarovski. For my eyes, I can say that the Swarovski seem the clearest.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.