Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
have the chance to buy one of these packs ArcFlex Alpine or ArcFlex Terraplane , both are the same price both in good shape what are the differences in theses which one is the better pack?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P.M. ZenoMarx on this forum... He is real familiar with these packs.

Others will be along shortly too.

They are wanted packs...

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
They both use the same suspension. The Terraplane is a larger pack and has more bells and whistles. The Alpin was designed for Alpine climbing with a narrow profile and not much hanging off as far as accessories.

If you are looking at this as a hunting pack, I would probable go with the Terraplane unless you wanted a smaller pack.

I can't remember for sure but I think the Terraplane was just under 6000 cubic inches and the Alpine about a 1000 cubes less.

The Terraplane also has two big vertical external pockets.

Both good packs, heck if the price is right, buy them both.

Ed T

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the info, I'm going to go with the terraplane .

P
P
Good, But For those truly nut-ball, hardcore users who might be reading this review: If you think Dana Design is not good enough for you, take it from a field scientist � these packs are built to last and perform under all conditions. If you still insist, try Dana Gleason�s new company, Mystery Ranch. I mean, damn � that�s a pack.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
You've probably already purchased your pack, but just in case:

Same suspension system, so you cannot go wrong with either (unless they come from different years of production, because then there are differences in fabrics, padding, slight manufacturing alterations, etc that can be significant from one year to the next). The Alpine is based on the rucksack philosophy of design. It has one main pack compartment and is basically a duffel bag that opens at the top (with a sleeping bag divider and zipper across the bottom 1/4 of the pack). The Terraplane is based on the twin vertical philosophy of design. It splits its overall cubic volume into one large compartment and then two sizable vertical pockets on the outside of the main compartment. The main compartment on the Alpine is probably slightly larger than the main compartment of the Terraplane, though their overall specs indicate the Terraplane being the larger of the two. It's all how the volume is configured.

For hiking and backpacking, I find the organizational options of the Terraplane to be preferred. For hunting, I cannot help but think the Alpine would be the better choice of the two. For the sake of hauling, that big rucksack design would be a lot easier to use than the smaller main body of the Terraplane. I also believe the top opening might be a bit wider on the Alpine than on the Terraplane. The Terraplane might be a wee bit more contoured. On top of that, the Alpines made after 1995 also have the Hypalon Beavertail system, and you could carry out a downed Cypress behind that contraption if you so chose. It was designed to deal with the odd shape of a snowboard, but after seeing so many people hauling quarters and heads with full capes out with their packs, I'm certain it would be an invaluable feature to have on a big hunt. It might even be too useful and convenient, giving that false impression that you could actually carry everything that so easily attached to the pack in a controlled, organized fashion. Your eyes could be bigger than your back and legs.

I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed with either pack. I just so happen to believe the Beavertail system is an untapped hunter resource (and I don't believe any of the Mystery Ranch packs include anything similar; correct me if I'm wrong).

R
R
Very Good and Nice..The sake of hauling, that big rucksack design would be a lot easier to use than the smaller main body of the Terraplane. I also believe the top opening might be a bit wider on the Alpine than on the Terraplane.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one of each- I think. I have one with the 2 vertical pockets and one with the big sack. I usually take the 2-pocket version when I am alone.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't had my Alpine out yet, but it's a heck of a pack. Can't get over the construction. Been working on a way to rig a rifle on the beavetail and the lower loops. Impressed so far. Here's a fit/sizing chart that might come in handy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.