Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Gents and ladies, seems that we have a pretty good selection of cooks out there so what say we have us a cook off. Here is an "Idea" who ever wishes to enter just posts a recipe that a select panel of judges tries to cook up. The judges score on a 10 point or so system
<br> 1- just for company 2- my dog wont eat it 3- cheap fast food 4- well you name it right up to fit for a king or some such rating. Now we need volunteers to act as judges we could do some thing like pick the top few submittals by concensus then fire up the stoves and go at it.
<br>this could take a few months.
<br>Any one interested?
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take a piece of that action. However, I don't think I want to judge or cook or I know who will win! [Linked Image]
<br>Let's see, moose steaks marinated in "black ketchup", moose and elk burger spaghetti and Lasagne, Salmon in wine sauce with razor clams and oysters on the side.
<br>Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the fun recipes we can come up with.
<br>Maybe if this is successful, we can come up with a 24hourcampfire Cookbook or something?- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you've never had Cuban-style rice and quail (arroz con codorniz), you ain't lived.
<br>
<br>Howabout Argentine pickled dove breasts. My GAWSH they're good.
<br>
<br>And I'll put my plain old venison steak up for scrutiny, too. Man, and we're out of venison around here!!
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like a great idea, and I have moose in my freezer. And hey you could try and sell the cookbook as another fundraiser.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
...Sheister I'm on my over to your place. Let's eat!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bite, no pun intended. Well, yeah, maybe it was intended. On the trial recipes though I forsee a problem or two. How in the name of Julia Child am I going to cook a moose? There ain't no meeses within two days travel of my place. How is Winky or pak going to cook my good old simple crawfish etouffee? I don't think they got mud bugs in the PNW. Can I substitute river mussels for razor clams? Probably not but let's give it a shot anyhow.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I would be happy to be a judge. As Sheister and Silverbullet know from seeing me in person I show the effects of liking food. A LOT. LOl. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boggy, I thought about this last night also and couldn't come up with a reasonable solution to this problem. Of course, I could "overnight" some moose steaks to you if you'd like, frozen hard as can be, as long as you promise to enjoy all the food and report back honestly (wink, wink).
<br>
<br>BTW, we have terrific crawfish up here, along with many other southern specialties- crappie, bass, sunperch, catfish, etc.... Quail, Pheasant, Partridge,and Dove are also available, along with squirrels, rabbit, and all the seafood you can stomach. However, I don't think mussels will substitute for Razor clams. Razor clams are a delicacy all their own, unlike any other clams or other seafood. Fried quickly in butter until just golden brown, they are nectar from the Gods. Then there are the Dungenness crabs, Cod, Salmon,- man it's only 7:50 Am and I'm already getting hungry thinking about all this great stuff. Should we plan a get together up here? [Linked Image]- Sheister

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom, aka Pumpgun, would not only make a great judge, his wife might come up with some great recipes for this cookoff. I would think she has a great Cioppione, (how do you spell that?) recipe, along with great Lasagne, and other delicacies only a little Italian lady can come up with.
<br>Besides, Tom will serve the best wines to go with these delicacies- he took home 4 cases from here each of the last couple times he's been up here. And I can attest we had a great time picking out just the right wines- our wine country up here is another plus. Should we include wines in this food extravanganza? [Linked Image]- Sheister

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmm,
<br>might have to weigh in here with a wild hog roast, marinated in white wine, lots of garlic, olive oil, fresh ground black pepper & the kicker sauce of Cajun Injector Marinade (garlic & Herb) mixed with Seven Seas Italian salad dressing. Accompanied by wild rice, steamed green veggies & sweet potato [Linked Image] Tender enough to be taken off the bone with a fork. badger.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sheister ol bud hold off on the moose steaks. I have located a donkey. Big donkey. I compared pictures between donkey and Wild Kingdom Moose. Look about the same. Will shoot donkey and bar b q. I can promise a piece of A$$ for everbody.
<br>Now if you got crawfish I will post my etoffee recipe and you can try her out. It is simple but good as most fine recipes are. I'll get to it in the morning, promise.
<br>I know the Indians ate river mussels. I know where there are shell beds. God alone knows how they did it. I have tried them. Maybe that is why there aren't any more Indians. The chewed them selves to death.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Bog ole Man, up here in the land of Bill Gates and Boeing we do have Cray fish they are not the same species that you have but they are down rite tasty and make real good bait for trout. We also have river muscels, they are not fit for neither man nor beast, and we have millions of them in the shallow creeks. Did you know that the shells of these critter that grow in the Missouri river system are used as seed for the Japanese pearl industry. I tried to get the Japenese to try our shells but they said they were not suited to their equipment for making seed. They cut small disks from the shell and implant them into othe oyster from which a pearl is formed around. Just a bit of oyster triva for any one who cares.
<br>
<br>So folks how do we do this party I know that a lot of you out there might have a difficult time getting your hands on an octopus or a geoduck. I have difficulty getting things like rattle snake and red fish.
<br>
<br>How about we attempt to put together recipies and suggust alternative food stuffs in place of local things we usually use. Do two recipies and we could try out the one we can make.
<br>
<br>Putting together a cook book for a charity would be a fine Idea. Recipes for outdoor foods, not store bought, with perhaps a little story of how the goodies were found, harvested and preped, and a few pictures to boot. Well this could be a good deal. recipies from accross the nation things not found in Field and Stream but in your back yard...
<br>
<br>Well Ken could use a donation to his efforts.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winky I had read that about the Jap pearl industry. I have found a few natural pearls in mussels. They are not worth anything.
<br>I don't know how the recipe deal would work. Make for one hellaciosly long thread but then if you make each a separate thread some would just natrually get lost in the shuffle.
<br>Any how and any way since I told Sheis I would give my etouffee recipe and you all got crawfish here tis'.
<br>Disclamer: I am not saying this is the only way to make etouffee! There are as many recipes as there are cajuns in Alexandria. What I am saying is that this is a good and easy recipe. Shrimp can be substituted for crawfish but of course you don't have crawfish etouffee, you have shrimp etouffee. [Linked Image] I will assume that the cook knows how to boil crawfish and proceed.
<br>
<br>CRAWFISH ETOUFFEE
<br>
<br>2 pounds crawfish tails (peeled) with fat. If no fat add additonal Tbs butter
<br>1/4 pound butter (no substitute)
<br>1 cup minced onion
<br>1/2 cup minced bell pepper
<br>1/2 cup minced celery include a few celery leaves
<br>2 cups cold water
<br>1 Tbs corn starch
<br>1/4 cup chopped green onion with tops
<br>1/4 cup chopped parsley
<br>Creole seasoning to taste. Luzianne or Tony's
<br>Salt
<br>Pinch dried thyme
<br>Pinch dried oregano
<br>1 bay leaf.
<br>
<br>Season the tails with salt and a little black and cayanne pepper. Heat the butter in a saute pan and saute onion, bell pepper and celery until clear, about 5 minutes. Add the crawfish fat or butter if you don't have fat plus 1 &1/2 cups of water. Add the Creole seasoning, thyme, oregano, bay leaf and tails. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer @ 30 minutes. Dissolve corn starch in the remaining 1/2 cup water and add to the pan. Add green onions and parsley and cook five more minutes. Serve hot over rice. Don't wreck the rice.
<br>
<br>BCR
<br>
<br>

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Bog Man, here it is almost shrimp season and your recipe looks darned tasty, We have a species of shrimp called Hood Canal Shrimp. quite large 3-6". I like to shell my shrimp and saute them in olive oil with red pepper flakes or skewer on skewers (what else) and bar-b-que basting with lemon butter.
<br>
<br>Activity on this site seems to have slowed a bit, I was gone all week end.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winky maybe everybody is living on ham sandwiches and egg salad left overs from Easter. I thought you had done run off and the hogs had et you! Those Hood shrimp are big enough to carve steaks off of. Do you do your own shrimping or buy off the boats? I got a PDG Shrimp Gumbo recipe if you like gumbo. You want it?
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey, Boggy my friend!
<br>
<br>I'd be interested in that gumbo recipe. Until about a year ago, I didn't know what gumbo is. While working on a customers house, she invited me for lunch. She had a visitor from Louisiana who is some kind of Cajun chef--so I got to taste the real deal. It was excellent table fare and I've been thinking about it since. So, Mr. Bog, bring it on!
<br>
<br>Thanks!
<br>
<br>rutnut
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Bog Man you holding out on the Bullwnkl. you got a gumbo recipie and I don't have it yet. Send it on over.
<br>As for my shrimp aqusition I buy them off the boat it's a whole lot cheaper that way. Heres why: Shrimp lic. lotsa bucks, spool of line for shrimp pots 1320 ft $70.00, lic. for the Garbage Skow $15.00, Boat Launch fee $4.00, Gas for hungry 75 Johnson $50.00. Lost two pots to some one who run over bouy $35.00 each, Gas for truck to tow to boat launch $30.00, local boat launch cloged up by Idiots trying to launch 26 ft Bayliners into the mud. Beer $6.00, Drive to next boat launch Tide out too far to launch, more beer $6.00 Drive to good launch up north, burn up the $30.00 worth or gas. Buy more gas to get home $30.00. Never get boat in water until the next day catch 12 shrimp. The shrimp cost something like $15.00 each. I buy them off the boat for $3.00 a pound and they deliever them to my door step.
<br>Shrimping is for the rich guys who can afford the time to live on their boats for 2or 3 days. The Garbage Skow aint that boat. She's a two bilge pump kinda gal and some times a bucket thrown in. Ah schucks she's paid for.[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bullwnkl:
<br>
<br>That sounds like that commercial.
<br>
<br> boat launch fee $4.00
<br> beer $6.00
<br> license $15.00
<br> gas $30.00
<br> shrimp pot $35.00
<br> 1320 ft. line $70.00
<br> day in the truck drinking beer
<br> with bullwnkl ........................PRICELESS!
<br>
<br>
<br>rutnut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, even my little old jon boat gets expensive if you want to do anything with it other than just admire it. [Linked Image] Now there is gumbo and there is gumbo so here is a recipe that works good. There are others that are good too.
<br>
<br>SHRIMP GUMBO
<br>4 cups okra fresh cut if you can get it or frozen (not as good)
<br>1/2 cup oil
<br>3/4 cup flour
<br>3/4 cup oil
<br>1 cup chopped onion
<br>1/4 cup chopped celery
<br>3/4 cup bell pepper
<br>4 quarts water
<br>2 pounds peeled shrimp (That is four shrimp for Winky)
<br>1/2 cup chopped green onion include tops
<br>
<br>Put your 1/2 cup oil in a pan with the okra and over medium heat glaze it stirring constantly to keep it from burning. About 20 minutes. Set aside
<br>
<br>In a large pot make a medium roux (color of peanut butter) by browning the flour in the 3/4 cup oil.
<br>Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery and saute until they wilt. Add okra, and water and a little salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat, slow boil, for about an hour. Add shrimp and green onion. Cook about 20 minutes at a medium boil. Serve with or over rice and have some good french bread to sop up any stray juice with.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Rutt, the truth be known I don't drink beer, not that I wouldn't mind but current meds prevent the intake of alcohol. Darn it any way. a cold brew on a hot day or with fresh cooked hot from the pot crab is the real deal.
<br>The beer was for effect. A day in the truck with the Bullwnkl has been known to be real exciting when in the mountains. Took the ole Ford places she never should have been and came back.
<br>
<br>Bog ole man Okra what the devil is that stuff doing in a fine recipe like yours?[Linked Image] I have never tried Okra how do you fix it ? I am willing to give it a go.
<br>there are only a very few things I will not eat or at least have not tried when put in front of me. Don't mean I'm gonna like em but I will try them. Turkey nut you say.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bullwnkl:
<br>
<br>I was going to let Mr. Boggy reply to your question, but he is holding up production here!! Actually, I'll bet he is up to his elbows with calving. Anyway, until the expert returns I'll give it a go. Okra, in gumbo recipes, is used as a thickening agent. My research has shown that real gumbo uses okra. Other recipes use file' powder. Now, you have to realize this information comes from a midwest dirt boy. I've never been close to cajun country!
<br>
<br>rutnut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winky, never heard of Okra. Don't you know it is the state vegetable of Okrahoma!
<br>Rutnut has it right it is vegetable thickning for the gumbo. You can use file gumbo which isn't anything but powdered sasafrass leaves to sprinkle on gumbo just before you eat it. Personally I don't care for it.
<br>
<br>You can fry okra or boil it. Not bad boiled with a little butter and salt and pepper. Looks like snot but tastes good.
<br>Or here is a good way to fix okra
<br>
<br>
<br>2 pounds fresh okra
<br>1 cup chopped onions
<br>1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
<br>1 large tomato cut up
<br>3/4 cup oil
<br>salt and pepper to taste
<br>
<br>Cut up okra in thin slices. Add all ingredients together in a large skillet. Cook until okra is soft stirring often to prevent sticking. Usually takes about an hour.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Now Boggy if I gotta cook some veggi I never seen before for an hour so it will look like snot before I eat it I believe I will stick with Lutefisk, I can buy it ready to cook, warm it up so it looks like snot and smells like dog puke and eat it in just a little while, not an hour of standing over a hot stove stiring some thing I may not carefor. At least I already know I don't like lutefisk.[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winky it only looks that way when you just plain boil it. It doesn't when you use the recipe that I gave above. If you want you can add a pinch of basil and a dash of garlic salt to the recipe.
<br>Some vegetables take getting used to before you can stomach them. I can't abide parsnips. You ever eat salsafy?
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
gumbo without okra is unamerican. fried okra is as good as it gets. I prefer to shake the okra in cornmeal after salt and peppering it. good stuf. I like boiled okra also but most people don't. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Bog Man I am not sure I can even properly pronounce "Salsafy" no less than know what it is. Now there are a whole bunch of Swedeish foods I have tried but don't have a clue of what they are. And that Korean stuff, you know the rotten cabbage in a jar...Kimchee... thats not too bad if you don't get the store bought stuff.
<br>Now me I wait all year to get a chance to gather mushrooms, I pick just a few different types that I know for sure...I never experiment with these guys. Mushrooms have a nasty habit of making one very sick if you pick the wrong one and eat it, some even can make you real dead. Here it is almost aspargrass picking time in eastern WA. that is always a fun trip the stuff grows wild along the road sides in places. I like it fried and I like it pickled. And for real exotic stuff we have bracken fern shoots, they taste kinda like green beans.
<br>The bay has been free of silt for a couple weeks and the little oysters would be mighty tasty tomorrow, shucked on the beach and eat em raw. Now thats a treat.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winky I never could get past the smell of Kimchee. Sort of like trying to eat a gym sock. Bluffed at it but never tried it. Tried Noc Mam the rotten fish sauce, must be an acquired taste [Linked Image].
<br>I never have tried grazing on wild fungi. Nobody around to teach me what is what. I know there are books with pictures but I might look at them cross eyed or something and chow down on the wrong one. I've had a mess of Poke Salad already this spring. Good if you know how to fix it make you sick as a dog if you don't. Besides just down the road from me is a Monteray Mushroom plant and they grow them by the truck load. I know that some of the wild ones would be better than commercial but don't know which.
<br>Salsafy is an antique root crop people used to grow. My grandma always had some in her garden. It looks sort of like a Daikon radish but not as big. It was also called vegitable oyster. You peeled it like a potato and fried it like you can egg plant. Had about the same texture and a fairly strong "fishy" taste. Never seen it in a produce market.
<br>Didn't know asparagras grew wild! Guess most everything did one time or the other. I like to take some fresh and hit it with a dash of season salt, wrap four or five shoots in bacon and grill it.
<br>I wish I could join you for some oysters. Ours are already starting to get watery.
<br>You got a good red beans and rice recipe?
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (2ndwind, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,784
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.