Print Thread
Hop To
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
A couple of weeks ago we bought two Dell XPS 8300 computer systems (CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse) from Dell. We hired a local computer tech guy to help with the set up, data transfer, etc. First problem, on my wife's computer upon first start up there's a huge noise coming from the box. Tech opened the box and found a wire that wasn't connected that was being hit by the fan. Two days after set up, my computer dies (it won't turn on). I called Dell Customer Service and the pain began. I first asked for a replacement and for them to send their service guy to do the set up. They wouldn't go for that. They would send a replacement, but I would have to pay my tech guy again. At that point I asked for a refund. After many discussions with India, they finally agree to a refund for my computer. Then we had a wrangle about my hard drive (it contains much confidential customer information). They said I could buy it if I wanted to keep it, I wanted them to credit me to have a government level overwrite done. Finally I decided to eat the cost for the overwrite. Now it seems like they only want to refund the cost of the CPU and not the system that I bought. The people are well trained in India (even though they are hard to understand) and mostly they are trained to say no. They have consistently told me something, sometimes in writing and other time orally, that they have failed to follow up on. I've always been taught in business that mistakes can happen, but how you follow through is the key to customer relations and retention. It is certainly something that I have always followed in my businesses. Dell is the worst company that I have dealt with as far as customer service. Any suggestions (including how I can talk to someone in the US) would be much appreciated. And I know that Pugs or someone else will remind me that I should have bought an Apple - I know - but I'm sure they have outsourced their customer service to India as well.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
welcome to Dell hell, btdt, if you have an attorney you do regular biz with, a $100 letter is probably worth it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Customer service???
What is this strange thing you speak of?
In todays world it seems to be a genuine foreign concept to 99% of businesses.

The original international turd
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't think you should have bought an Apple - one piece of crap is as bad as another. Being fiercely independent, what I did is learn how to build my own PC's, been doing it since 1990. Built them for work and home, no I.T. idiots to deal with, no hard to understand trans-Pacific calls, just good reliable computers (one old box has been running since 2003 without a glitch although I did have to update the HDD controller to install larger drives this year). Anybody can do it, well maybe not everybody, but its easy. Even easy to learn how to repair them when things do go wrong, I have just enough patience to succeed. As I write this I am surrounded by four tower PC's, including one that just runs SETI software searching for extraterrestrial life, and one laptop. I figure if a former curry salesman from New Deli can do it, so can I.

Fortunately, the Dell laptops I bought for my college bound cousins were trouble free, but then I bought them through my former employer's employee purchase plan. With over 5000 employees, Dell doesn't want to piss off a large customer, so they must actually test them before shipping. Now if I can figure out how to work this new cell phone I'll be doing something.

Try sending an email describing your problem to [email protected] they solve customer service, warrant and other problems for battered PC consumers.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 11/29/11.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My experience with Dell customer service has taught me one thing; never buy another Dell computer.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All we do is as soon as they answer DEMAND to speak to a supervisor then DEMAND to speak to someone who has English as their FIRST language, tell them (the supervisor) you are on business hours and will be sending them an invoice for your time along with a letter from your lawyer stating the terms of payment and the outcome of failure to pay, also inform them that YOU are recording the call for your records and for use in any court proceedings resulting from their failure to assist in a satisfactory outcome. That usually cuts through the BS and gets some genuine results.

The original international turd
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can also demand to be connected to a manager in the US. They are obligated to do that and it can result in more attention and faster resolution.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dell has the worst customer service of any big time computer dealer. I do my own work on all my computers .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
PM sent.

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
And I know that Pugs or someone else will remind me that I should have bought an Apple - I know - but I'm sure they have outsourced their customer service to India as well.

Nope - talked to a guy in Indiana last time though. smile

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then there's that price thingy. The Windows style PC market has a very low profit margin to begin with and Dell lower yet. So you get minimal customer service. If hand holding is important visit a local integrator with a good rep.

Now Apple... Been on my list from way back when they went boutique and almost doubled prices overnight, just when I wanted to buy my first computer. The joy of a closed system.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a dell for years with no problems. Eventually I replaced enough of the guts it wasn't a dell anymore. Lasted me about five years as my gaming machine.
Build your own, it's easy.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hindsight is...well. If you're going to buy something like a mass made Dell then buy it from Costco. The warranty is doubled and you deal with Costco VIP service.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like Apple, great support and very stable O/S's for the most part. But they are not perfect and can have issues as well:

MacBook Pro Support Forum

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maarty
Customer service???
What is this strange thing you speak of?
In todays world it seems to be a genuine "foreign" concept to 99% of businesses.

Which is explained by the accents of the 'support' people at Dell. That company will NEVER get another penny of my money.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.