-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is it as straight forward as removing the frame, spray and wash the grimy parts, wash warm in the machine and low heat dry?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would NOT put any pack in a machine, even a front loader. Soak it in warm water and gently scrub it with a plastic-bristle brush. Air dry in the shade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I chuck the whole thing in the bath tub with dish soap. Slosh around until I'm happy with the cleanliness. Rinse in warm water and hang to dry.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Don't put in dryer. Drip dry.

I wouldn't recommend a washer either. Use palmolive or similar dishwashing soap with warm water and rag. Do the outside, then turn inside out and handwash that as well. Rinse well with cool water and drip dry. The fabric is tough but the waterproof laminate coating is not. If it has stays, place back in before the pack dries as nylon tightens up a bit and getting stays back in can be a pain once it's dry.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I take mine to the car wash and spray it down.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by oklahunter
Don't put in dryer. Drip dry.

I wouldn't recommend a washer either. Use palmolive or similar dishwashing soap with warm water and rag. Do the outside, then turn inside out and handwash that as well. Rinse well with cool water and drip dry. The fabric is tough but the waterproof laminate coating is not. If it has stays, place back in before the pack dries as nylon tightens up a bit and getting stays back in can be a pain once it's dry.

+1

I use the garden hose to rinse.

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simple Green and a hose for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used the garden hose, car wash, and a MiraZyme soak depending on the severity.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Definitely safe to wash an internal frame pack (not that you need anymore reassurance than the testimonials and advice here). I do it to all my personal packs (external and internal) and the ones I pick up used. If you've purchased a pack from me, it's been thoroughly cleaned before I list it for sale. When you send a pack in for repair, they always request you wash it before doing so. Common courtesy, and they know the pack can handle it. I've done it tens and tens of times, and I've never damage a pack or its coatings.

Disassemble it as much as possible. I don't always remove the stays, but I usually do. It can be easier to do the inside of the pack with them still in the pack. Take all the straps out of the tighteners. Take the shoulder harness off if possible. Remove the belt if possible. etc. I often put the belt, shoulder harness, lid, and anything else that will come free from the pack inside a mesh laundry bag and put it in a front loader washing machine on the delicate or handwash cycle. Cold water. Cold rinse. Two washings when really filthy with sweat.

I use a half cup of laundry detergent in a bucket and 1/2-3/4 gallon of warm water to dilute it. Soft, natural, long bristle brush. They sell some nice ones for washing car rims or washing windows.

In the summer, I do it with the hose outside. In colder months, I do it in the bathtub. Wet pack. Scrub every nook and cranny with the brush and soapy water. Let it sit for maybe 15 minutes. Then rinse like crazy. I sometimes hit the backpad a couple times. It's a pain in the butt. It usually takes me around 30-45 minutes.

Hang upside down from the axe loops through a couple hangers or with the shoulder straps tied in a knot from a hanger. Drip dry. Hang the belt, shoulder harness, lid, and whatever else in the same manner and drip dry.

Gives you a great idea of how much a wet pack can weigh. Makes you really appreciate a waterproof pack cover. Your stuff my not get wet in a heavy rainfall with good pack waterproofing or with your stuff all in trash bags, but the pack itself still soaks up a great amount of water weight. A dry pack is a good carrying pack.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,803
Posts18,496,365
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.