Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I guess the title sez it all.

Last edited by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI; 12/02/11.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had an A Bolt Micro Medallion in 7-08 once. It appeared to be a work of art. It's infernal locking up of the bolt betrayed its beauty at a most unexpected time. Will never own another nor consider doing so. John Browning would have never signed off on such a poor product.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
bump

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bob - I have only had ONE Browning A bolt. It was the only rifle that I could not get to shoot 1" groups. It would consistently throw one of four shots out of the group. It was NOT consistent about throwing the same no. round out. It might be 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

The dealer sent it back to Morgan Utah and Browning worked on it. I could see work on the inletting and bolt. Whatever they did, IT DID NOT FIX IT.

I don't know anything about the X bolt except ADVERTISING. I would not judge the X bolt by that ONE experience of an A bolt.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have two A-Bolts (270 Win SS and 7mm Matte), both shoot and function great, I love them! One note, my father and I bought two 270's when he had his FFL and his had to go back to Browning because the stock fit was off, when he got it back it would shoot 140 grain Hornady Interock factory ammo to 3/4" all day long. My 270 would not shoot anything under 3" at 100 yards, about 200 rounds and at least five different types of factory ammo till I tried the Remington factory 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips which Remington doesn't make anymore, the bullets touch at 100 yards, I have 4 boxes left and use them sparingly. I just started shooting WallyWorld cheap Federal 150's and they also shoot great, looks like I lucked out. My father's 7mm A Bolt with Boss shoots 1/2" with Federal Premium 160 Nosler Partitions (same as I shoot).
My father bought another 7mm W/O the Boss and it's a 2-2 1/2" gun that never leaves the safe!

I had a buddy who had a SS A Bolt in 300 WSM that shot great groups but wouldn't chamber every other round.

I don't have any experience with the X-Bolt.

Last edited by NJelksmacker; 12/04/11.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Small sample size, but I have two X Bolts: one in 270 WSM and one in 300 WSM. The 300 is more forgiving, but I have found multiple loads for both that group 3 shots under 1 MOA.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've shot probably 3-4 A-Bolts, and two X-Bolts. I found the overall design more similar than different, and all shot well, some extremely well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
I have two A-Bolts (270 Win SS and 7mm Matte), both shoot and function great, I love them! One note, my father and I bought two 270's when he had his FFL and his had to go back to Browning because the stock fit was off, when he got it back it would shoot 140 grain Hornady Interock factory ammo to 3/4" all day long. My 270 would not shoot anything under 3" at 100 yards, about 200 rounds and at least five different types of factory ammo till I tried the Remington factory 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips which Remington doesn't make anymore, the bullets touch at 100 yards, I have 4 boxes left and use them sparingly. I just started shooting WallyWorld cheap Federal 150's and they also shoot great, looks like I lucked out. My father's 7mm A Bolt with Boss shoots 1/2" with Federal Premium 160 Nosler Partitions (same as I shoot).
My father bought another 7mm W/O the Boss and it's a 2-2 1/2" gun that never leaves the safe!

I had a buddy who had a SS A Bolt in 300 WSM that shot great groups but wouldn't chamber every other round.

Those plus my experience of 1 A bolt kinda looks like the A bolt is a 'pig in the poke' gamble. AGAIN I wouldn't let that prejudice me against the X bolt.

It seems to me there are other brands that are MUCH LESS of a gamble.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker

My question is "Why did it go IN the safe?" OTOH at that accuracy or lack thereof, the safe could be a good place for it.

Why does he want to keep it?

Those are questions of curiosity, I'm not trying to insult! !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Jwall--the gun is in the safe because his A Bolt in 7mm w/Boss shoots a whole lot better! Used A Bolts aren't bringing much money these days, he wasn't going to sell it at a loss.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
NJ - Understandable. Over the long haul guns in general A ppreciate in value rather than De preciate. Hopefully in time he'll be able to recup most of his expenditure.

Two possibilities, a Browning dealer might give him a good value for it, maybe in trade-in or take it on consignment.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've shot probably 3-4 A-Bolts, and two X-Bolts. I found the overall design more similar than different, and all shot well, some extremely well.

Ya, but would you buy one to hunt with? I hunted with a stainless stalker in 280 about 15 years ago. While very very acurate, and I never had a bit of trouble with it, I'd not buy one to hunt with now. I've heard/seen too many problems with them and just think there are better designs out there.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My uncle has a Micro Medallion in 708 that shoots extremely
well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
I guess the title sez it all.

Probably a whole lot better than your Kimber or your remchester for that matter!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
444Matt,

The first A-Bolt I ever saw was a .270 Winchester test rifle sent to me by Browning the first year they were made, as I recall around 1985 or '86. It was lighter than most bolt-actions made back then, and shot very well. My wife Eileen was just starting to hunt and liked it, so I bought the rifle and she hunted with it for the next several years. At one point she had 10 one-shot kills in a row with it, including pronghorn, whitetail and mule deer, elk and moose. Eventually she replaced the A-Bolt with a NULA, also in .270, but we never had any trouble with the A-Bolt.

Other than that I've never had any personal long-term experience with them, though a couple of local friends own A-Bolts and have hunted with them for years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned and put a lot of rounds thru both and have family that has owned both.

The ones I've owned and shot (20 or more) have been accurate dependable rifles. If they weren't I wouldn't use them.

The OP asked about the differences, so here is a list.

1. The X-Bolt uses a detachable, rotary magazine that center feeds cartridges, the A-Bolt uses a staggered type mag. Both have worked well, but I prefer the X-Bolt design, especially when using short mags.

2. The X-Bolt has a much more user friendly stock than the A-Bolt IMO. The recoil pad on the X-bolt is an improvement also.

3, The X-Bolt trigger is a big improvement over the A-Bolt design.

4. The X-Bolt has 4 mounting holes per base on the receiver. This may sound good at first, until you notice that the reason it was designed this way was due to the thinness of the receiver top on the X-Bolt. The holes were moved to the sides in order to have enough steel to mount to. I prefer the A-Bolt std. pattern.

5. The X-Bolt has smaller locking lugs on the bolt head, still plenty large enough, but not as massive as the A-Bolt design.

6. The X-Bolt does not have the non-rotating bolt sleeve, but is just as smooth to operate as the A-Bolt.

7. The X-Bolt incorporates a button that allows you to cycle the bolt with the rifle on safety. This is a good idea, but I never had a problem with the way the A-Bolt was set up.

As far as performance, I would rate them about equal, maybe a slight edge going to the X-Bolt in accuracy on the rifles I have shot.

All of mine will do 1 MOA with a variety of factory fodder and considerably better with handloads.

One thing I've always liked about Browning rifles is they usually will shoot a variety of ammo well. This can't be said of many other makes.

Hope this helps.

JM

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I've owned and put a lot of rounds thru both and have family that has owned both.

The ones I've owned and shot (20 or more) have been accurate dependable rifles. If they weren't I wouldn't use them.

The OP asked about the differences, so here is a list.

1. The X-Bolt uses a detachable, rotary magazine that center feeds cartridges, the A-Bolt uses a staggered type mag. Both have worked well, but I prefer the X-Bolt design, especially when using short mags.

2. The X-Bolt has a much more user friendly stock than the A-Bolt IMO. The recoil pad on the X-bolt is an improvement also.

3, The X-Bolt trigger is a big improvement over the A-Bolt design.

4. The X-Bolt has 4 mounting holes per base on the receiver. This may sound good at first, until you notice that the reason it was designed this way was due to the thinness of the receiver top on the X-Bolt. The holes were moved to the sides in order to have enough steel to mount to. I prefer the A-Bolt std. pattern.

5. The X-Bolt has smaller locking lugs on the bolt head, still plenty large enough, but not as massive as the A-Bolt design.

6. The X-Bolt does not have the non-rotating bolt sleeve, but is just as smooth to operate as the A-Bolt.

7. The X-Bolt incorporates a button that allows you to cycle the bolt with the rifle on safety. This is a good idea, but I never had a problem with the way the A-Bolt was set up.

As far as performance, I would rate them about equal, maybe a slight edge going to the X-Bolt in accuracy on the rifles I have shot.

All of mine will do 1 MOA with a variety of factory fodder and considerably better with handloads.

One thing I've always liked about Browning rifles is they usually will shoot a variety of ammo well. This can't be said of many other makes.

Hope this helps.

JM

I currently have and shoot 5 XBolts and 2 ABolts. They are second only to the TIKKA for great out of the box most accurate rifle. No trigger adjustments needed, no free floating of the barrel, no special bedding required, no re-crowning of the muzzle, no shims, no new stocks, no new barrels and whoa of all things no special benchrest shooting techniques required. No Tums or aspirn purchases to deplete the hunting fund.

Much better out of the box than any current remchesterkber. When it's all said and done, my dead deer is just as dead as yours and I have money left over. Everyone of my XBolts are under 1" with a variety of Ammo and my XBolt Varmint in 7mm08 will do the same at 200yds.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks JM and AE. I am looking at a used X bolt in 280 Rem with glass for 599.00 No need to justify the caliber!!

Thanks,
Bob
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No flies on the .280. Will do anything you ask if you do your part.

JM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
John Moses & Alabama Ed: THANKS

You both have given us more real evidence than I have seen or read anywhere. I have been careful to point out that I had had only 1. We can always get a lemon in ANYTHING.

OTOH several people have reported problems w/th A bolt, so it seems to me ALL is not well with them.

I appreciate you guys giving some real insight into more than 1 rifle/1 owner.

THANKS AGAIN
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.