Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
All this talk about wood stoves and getting mine figured out has me curious about sourcing an old fashion percolating coffee pot. The surface is reaching 500 degrees when I am running it fairly strong.

Any suggestions?

Montana MOFO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

Yes, I found that one also. Really looking for some suggestions from people that have experience with pots and advice on which to use or avoid.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad has one similar to the one they sell at Cabela's or Sportsmans.

He has used it in wall tent for elk hunting every season for the past 20+ years or so on top of his barrel stove. Makes good coffee. Durable.

Last edited by UncleJake; 12/04/11. Reason: for some reason the link screwed up the page layout. Sorry!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one from cabelas that I use in my wall tent on the stove, or when power goes tu. Look for a insulated handle.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Do not get that speckeldy blue thing at Wal-Mart.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use the Cabela's percolator.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I bought a stainless steel pot from Cabela's 20 years ago for our camp and it still makes the best coffee! Worth every penny I paid for it.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lodge-Since-1896-2TK2-Cast-Iron-Tea-Kettle-Q74-/220766278868

This isn't a percolator, but I like cast iron.

I found one of these the other day in an old building, an old Lodge cast iron tea pot, I didn't even know they made such a thing, kinda neat. The one I found was all rusty (looked just like the 2TKT in the ebay link) but I think it could be cleaned up enough to use. I'll have to see if the owner will sell it.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a pair of percolator coffee pots, one is Stainless and the other Aluminum.

But, I suggest you give "Cowboy Coffee" a try now and then. Just put the grounds in the water and bring to a boil. Once it boils pour a tiny amount of cool water in the coffee and the grounds will settle. Take the first cup for yourself. Sit back and wait for the guy who comes by late, and laugh out loud when he spits out the grounds.

For years I made cowboy coffee at my workstation, and it was the most popular coffee in the facility.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lodge-Since-1896-2TK2-Cast-Iron-Tea-Kettle-Q74-/220766278868

This isn't a percolator, but I like cast iron.

I found one of these the other day in an old building, an old Lodge cast iron tea pot, I didn't even know they made such a thing, kinda neat. The one I found was all rusty (looked just like the 2TKT in the ebay link) but I think it could be cleaned up enough to use. I'll have to see if the owner will sell it.

If you can get it then boil the thing in saltwater and all the rust will be gone. Then blacken the outside and use the heck out of it. Kept right it will outlive your grandkids.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a little bit of experience with wood stove coffee. There is a cup of wood stove brewed coffee sitting within eight inches of my left hand as I type this. grin

Stainless is the best for long time use. The wife and I do not like aluminum for health and aesthetic reasons. However finding any kitchen wear not made in China today is a little harder that walking on water on a hot day. There are still some concerns about what may leach out of Chinese stainless steel. We have an old thrift store Revere Ware stainless peculator and an older no name brand. Both work well.

Then, if you want to be bold there is the cowboy coffee rout. An enamelware pot without the basket inside will do you just fine.

Have fun. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've 2 that work great on wood stoves,Coleman stoves or camp fires.
One is a stainless steel Coleman percolator I got 10 or 15 years ago and it's gotten used quite a bit camping and during power outages and it makes good coffee.

The other is an old blue speckled coffee boiler that my Dad bought in the late 1950's. It's a big rascal and will make about a gallon of coffee at a whack. Good stuff but you may have to screen the coffee grounds through your teeth when you get down to the last few cups left in the pot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you ain't chewing your coffee then it ain't real cowboy coffee. grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Or smokey flavor...don't forget the smokey flavor!

wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tom264
Or smokey flavor...don't forget the smokey flavor!

wink

If I could bottle that flavor....

wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
An old stainless one from the antique store or flea market is whatcha need... just make sure it has all the guts to it.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tarkio
All this talk about wood stoves and getting mine figured out has me curious about sourcing an old fashion percolating coffee pot. The surface is reaching 500 degrees when I am running it fairly strong.

Any suggestions?

Don't try perking at 500*.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try and find an old griswold or wagner cast iron kettle.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I liked the old $5 aluminum ones,but they are long gone. What works good now is to buy the prepacked coffee grounds in pouches and just throw them in any old coffe pot.
I must confess I have one of the old blue porcelean ones and a bigger one just to heat water in. Guess I am too cheap to pay $40 for a stainless one.

You will find that you need to get coffe filters to fit the basket because you can't buy preculator grind coffe anymore.All of it is fine grind for coffe makers. I buy the fold up ones that are square, a hole in the middle and a hole in each corner. Or you can buy a small grinder and grind your own beans.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 160user, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 48 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.