Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
XL5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K2 Loadmaster Longbed backpack

I bought this new for myself back in the 90s when I was struck by the hare-brained idea I needed to take up backpacking. This has never been on the trail and only was worn for the purpose of adjusting the harness to fit my frame. Ever since, unfortunately, all it's been used for was a storage bin for camping gear. This is too choice a piece of gear to spend the rest of eternity in a closet, so I'm selling it.

From the Dana Design house, this was the last great gasp for external frame backpacks. Details from Dana's old web site:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sizes: Large (w/Med belt)
Color: Black
Capacity: 6,100 cu. in./99 litres
Weight: 7 lb. 13oz./3.5 kg

[Linked Image]

BIG / ACCESSIBLE / DIVIDED. That's right-- ...B ...A ...D --the LongBed takes these requirements and delivers. With 10 Pockets, and Top or Panel Load options, you can't go wrong with this pack. Try the pack that earned a perfect 5 score in Backpacker Magazines External Frame Test.

Need a framepack that provides a place for everything? Our Longbed gives you organizational flexibility. Ten pockets keep your trail life conveniently compartmentalized. Toploading and panel loading options provide packing and unpacking alternatives. The LoadMaster frame provides the comfort of active framing with the advantages of a rigid frame. Forget about load distribution worries, the Longbed carries well no matter how it's organized. A top choice of the flexibly minded, anal retentive, packing impaired, load hauling maniac.

Large Bottle Pockets, Two-Rip Adjustment, 500 D Cordura fabric, full-on Dana Harnessing, with Integrated packbag/hipbelt, and extendable shroud combine to make this the best LongBed ever.

[Linked Image]

1. Shoulder pads and lift straps adjust in unison for perfect adjustment.

2. Carbon fiber crosslinks cushion the frame on your back, absorbing frame sway.

3. Grippy mesh clings to your back.

4. Magic wands transfer the load to your hips while allowing natural motion.

5. Tapered frame bottom keeps the LoadMaster's harness mounted tight---no-slip and squeak.

First, the bad news. The moisture liner in the interior of the pack is pretty well disintegrated from age. Its condition is well detailed in the photos below. But it's a very thin plastic, thinner than saran wrap, so it otherwise doesn't affect the pack's strength or security.

The good news is that's all the bad news. Otherwise, it's practically as new. Nothing is worn or torn, all the mesh pockets are as new. It even still has all the original K2-branded zipper pull tabs.

The real thing:

From the front:
[Linked Image]

From the back:
[Linked Image]

The damaged moisture liner:

Inside the flap of the big front pocket:
[Linked Image]

The sleeping bag compartment, inside the foot of the pack:
[Linked Image]

This shows where the frame's center crossmember has worn through the lining:
[img]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2070/cinbackk2.jpg[/img]

Inside the long left accessory pouch:
[img]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6209/rclpk2.jpg[/img]

Inside the right long accessory pouch:
[img]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1931/crpk2.jpg[/img]

What's left of the moisture liner is so delicate, the majority of it should roll off the first time it's worn on the trail.

K2 literature stated the large-size Longbed is suited to users with an 18 to 21-inch torso, measured from the crest of the hips to the 7th cervical vertebrae:

[img]http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6269/packfit1.gif[/img]

IIRC, when the Loadmasters went out of production in 2004, MSRP was $399. If you're looking for a well-made external frame backpack with the new worn off but a million miles left in it, look no further. This one is yours for $175, and the shipping is on me (to the lower 48).

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
GB1

XL5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Let's get this party started. Price reduced to $160.

-- old German proverb
D
D
I don't need the pack, but I'll pay your shipping cost to send me your belt and harness - and send you vgc large sized ones in return. btw, what size is your harness?

XL5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
dstelluto, do you have a K2 frame? Because of their unusual suspension system, I'm not sure it would fit any other brand frame.

But I'm not especially interested in parting it out.

-- old German proverb
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
That peeling isn't anything unusual. Very common to see on the older K2 models (indicated by the shiny ripstop grid fabric and all-black shoulder straps). With all the zippers and seams on this pack, you always want to use a pack cover anyway. A dry pack is a lot lighter to carry than a wet one, even if the contents are all dry.

IC B2

C
C
Is pack still available?

XL5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes it is. And further reduced to $150.

Sorry to take so long to answer.

-- old German proverb
C
C
Sorry. I hadn't heard back so I bought one at eBay thx

C
C
Sorry. I hadn't heard back so I bought one at eBay thx

C
C
PM sent

IC B3

XL5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sold and shipped.

My thanks to all who looked.

-- old German proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,197
Posts18,503,600
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.