-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aww cripes Elkmen you need to trade that 12ft. saw log on your shoulder for just a chip.... That way you can tell whether someone knocked it off for you, or you stumbled under your own weight and stuck your nose in the dirt....

Ackley also built the .228 for USFWS and the NPS for elk culling in Jackson and Yellowtone.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
OMG

Will the 243 kill Elk..Hell yes..Is it the best choice for hunting Elk..Hell No...

Just my opinion as a beginner!

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranch13
All the testosterone oozing out of a belted case the size of a cuban cigar .....

I think it's funny when I see that argument made. It seems just the opposite to me.

A guy purposely choosing a varmint cartridge to hunt big game is trying prove what a big testosterone-filled man he is by showing that he doesn't need a big game cartridge to get it done.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
All the testosterone oozing out of a belted case the size of a cuban cigar .....

I think it's funny when I see that argument made. It seems just the opposite to me.

A guy purposely choosing a varmint cartridge to hunt big game is trying prove what a big testosterone-filled man he is by showing that he doesn't need a big game cartridge to get it done.

Well which shooter is more likely to be familiar enough with his rifle to put the first round where it needs to go. The one with the "varmint" rifle that runs several hundred rounds a year thru, or the one with the great big fire breathin monster that gets shot about 3 times a year?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez Jayco , where ya been?

www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ranch

There is life beyond the Internet,isn't there.Naw..My granddaughter almost died from diabetes and I had to carry her limp body into the ER spending to many days there.Everything is A-okay now though.Scared the crap out of me and I have carried a few,work wise to a worse ending.

Buy a 270 Win and throw out that 243. grin

Merry Christmas to you and yours...

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn I hate that diabetes, buried a son and a brotherinlaw.....

Merry Christmas to the Jayco outfit.

What the puck is a 270? lol

www.historicshooting.com
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by krp
It's not whether a magnum is too much, but whether a 243, or 270 with 130 BTs, or a 7mm08 with 120 BTs ect is enough. It's already proven to be enough more than once...

The real question is, can you control yourself to not get so excited just seeing and wanting one, that any shot is acceptable... in that case a magnum is preferable.

Has nothing to do with chit going wrong or paper ballistics.

Kent
TOO TRUE

Last edited by eyeball; 12/15/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If I wouldn't get pissed on I would tell of the guy in Colorado who was a great shot ( as told to me by those who knew) and had a few acres of alfalfa. He drove up one day with a real nice 5x5 in the back of his pickup about 30 yrs ago and said his AR-15 wa plenty for elk. He said all he did was crawl up close and put 7-10 rounds into the ribs as it ran got the woods. Sure enough there were 9 holes inside a foot behind the shoulder. I figure that long ago he didnt use anything more than the soft points he rolled coyotes with. I Don't Condone Such But Thought That story would be interesting to some and I Don't Condone Such and I think eLk deserve better. Now, gentlemen can pardon me and azzwholes can attack.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If I wouldn't get pissed on I would tell of the guy in Colorado who was a great shot ( as told to me by those who knew) and had a few acres of alfalfa. He drove up one day with a real nice 5x5 in the back of his pickup about 30 yrs ago and said his AR-15 wa plenty for elk. He said all he did was crawl up close and put 7-10 rounds into the ribs as it ran got the woods. Sure enough there were 9 holes inside a foot behind the shoulder. I figure that long ago he didnt use anything more than the soft points he rolled coyotes with. I Don't Condone Such But Thought That story would be interesting to some and I Don't Condone Such and I think eLk deserve better. Now, gentlemen can pardon me and azzwholes can attack.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/15/11.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ranch13
Aww cripes Elkmen you need to trade that 12ft. saw log on your shoulder for just a chip.... That way you can tell whether someone knocked it off for you, or you stumbled under your own weight and stuck your nose in the dirt....

You trying to make up???? You and I have similar experiences in the field I believe. I hunt Wyoming almost every year and love it. . Have a great holiday !!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No not really...Just pointing out you're trying to pick a fight mostly with yourself.
I live in Wyoming, have my entire life.
You have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Ranch13; 12/15/11.

www.historicshooting.com
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't think it was Elkmen with a case of baboon azz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elkmen
Ranch13

You trying to make up???? You and I have similar experiences in the field I believe. I hunt Wyoming almost every year and love it. . Have a great holiday !!!!!!

No not really...Just pointing out you're trying to pick a fight mostly with yourself.
I live in Wyoming, have my entire life.
You have a Merry Christmas.

Originally Posted by eyeball
I don't think it was Elkmen with a case of baboon azz

Well at least we know the .243 Win with the 105 VLD is a really good elk cartridge out to about 700 yds. grin

If you need more reach then the .243 Win/105 VLD might not be for you.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.243 for elk??

I know a guy in Wyoming that, quite by accident, killed two with one shot at about 75 yds. Intended to shoot a cow but shot thru her and killed another one on the other side. And that was before TSX's. Remington core lockts if I remember correctly.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eek John I'm not a big fan of the Longrange stuff, but my hat's off to you on that one. Sure blows the hell out of having to have 1880 fpe......

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
selecting a cartridge having a bit more penetration and energy on impact just seems to me to show a bit more respect for the game.

I keep asking but not finding the answer to this question. The only time I hear respect outside of this forum is when someone says, "With all due respect..." and then goes on to disagree with the perosn they are talking with.

Pray tell, what does respect mean?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well which shooter is more likely to be familiar enough with his rifle to put the first round where it needs to go. The one with the "varmint" rifle that runs several hundred rounds a year thru, or the one with the great big fire breathin monster that gets shot about 3 times a year?

How 'bout the guy who fires hundreds of rounds through his "big fire breathin monster"? My .375-.416 Rem mag used to be the only rilfe I had. I went thorugh hundreds of rounds per year and used it for rabbits, on the run, deer, and elk. It would fire three Sierras under a half inch at 100 yards with a duplex laod of powder at 3,000 feet per second.

I am a small man with a Nepoean complex. Even my hand gun is a large caiber: .454. I used it for running rabbits both close and long range (up to 150 yards), elk and deer.

Practice is good whether you use a varmint rifle or a rino rifle.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, bet you got some pictures of those 1/2 moa targets hanging around to show us..

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
selecting a cartridge having a bit more penetration and energy on impact just seems to me to show a bit more respect for the game.

I keep asking but not finding the answer to this question. The only time I hear respect outside of this forum is when someone says, "With all due respect..." and then goes on to disagree with the perosn they are talking with.

Pray tell, what does respect mean?

Obviously we all make individual value judgements,based on what we feel is correct, or what the law requires,in my case it refers to simply wanting to use a rifle that drop elk quickly and cleanly with little chance of inflicting a wound that may not be very rapidly fatal, or cause prolonged pain/suffering from any reasonable range and angle and getting in close enough to make a precisely placed shot and knowing your games anatomy.
yes IM sure everyone reading this thinks they are excellent shots....well next time you out where you can do a little test put a 3" orange target dot on a large sheet of poster board and back off to that 200-300 or even 400 yard range you gentlemen all seem so comfortable shooting at and then RUN back that last 100 yards of that 200-300 or even 400 yards to where youll shoot , and shoot within 1 minute from that location,so your heart rates up like it will be when you see that bull of a lifetime and squeeze off a single shot from a field position, chances are excellent you won,t put a hole dead center in the dot, in fact chances are excellent you won,t even hit the dot, and that means chances are also excellent that under field conditions your also not likely to place shots on game exactly where you would want to so having a bit more punch for those less than ideal conditions we normally see makes sense, and why I feel a 270 is really about the minimum realistic choice in an elk rifle.
Ive had several of the guys in my elk hunt club try it, and Ive done it dozens of times, it takes a great deal of practice, and having a bi-pod and a sling are almost mandatory accessory's if you want to consistently hit anyplace on that orange dot
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/s..._7c3470_a_7c749000754_d_749000646_d_5695

[Linked Image]
most of the guys I hunt with practice shooting from field positions frequently, most were shocked at the results they produced after trying this and thats probably why most of the guys don,t even try past 350 yards but insist on getting closer. It took me years and use of a bi-pod and sling to be consistent hitting anyplace on that orange dot from 200 yards after running even 100 yards and shooting, consistently shooting well enough to place a single first round hit where you want it to be under realistic field conditions is a totally different deal than shooting tight groups from a bench rest

Last edited by 340mag; 12/16/11.
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,546
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.