Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
I have been thinking of building a .264 Winchester Magnum setup for 139-140 grain Lapua/Berger VLDs for some time. Just picked up 500 pieces of Nosler Brass, Redding Competition Dies, and a few bullets in the weight range. I'm also going to add Nosler's own 130 & 140 grain Accubonds to the mix. Never had bad luck making a solid rifle shoot with Nosler Bullets...fwiw.
[Linked Image]

This leaves me without one thing... The Rifle...

I'm thinking:

Remington 700 or Defiance unit with fluted bolt, Nesika Bolt Release, etc.
Rock or Bartlein Fluted 1-8 twist 26" barrel of roughly a #5.5/Sendero Contour. I have to have a little bit of steel up front, for the torque shoulder, as a suppressor will be used more often than not.
Open to reamer specs. Anyone have one to recommend?
Advanced Armament QD Titan Suppressor. 20 oz. of Grade 5 Titanium. Built for the .338 Lapua, however, it dampens the report of smaller chamberings quite well even with the blow by. I have an extra Titan that is waiting for ATF approval. Should be here by February.
Williams Oberndorf Release Bottom Metal
McMillan Classic Stock with Remington Sporter fill in Black Polane or OD, gray, and tan Gel-Coat.

Have also thought of giving Darrel Holland's Stock a try. Fairly certain it's made for him by McMillan...

Would greatly appreciate your input...

Happy Holidays!

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sounds like a great set up.. Great to see you posting!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
matt,
I could like that, i'm on a Rock kick lately and have really been impressed with his tubes. i've only got three but they all shoot crazy good.

as for the suppressor, i have no experience and just curious, i thought you'd need to go subsonic to get the good out of one?

When you get it built, give the 140 Amax a go too. accurate and has worked well for me from 60 to 370 yards on deer. My sporter weight holds sub 4" at 560.

I can't spell... Deal with it...
T
TMR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Add a 8lb keg of Retumbo and you are set for reloading! The Rock and Defiance would be my choice of the options you listed. The Thunderbeat 30P works well on the 264WM as well. No need to go up to the 338 cans with it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've a PTG bushing pilot .264 Win Match reamer (with the complete set of pilots) set up for 130 SSIIs and 142 SMKs @ ~ 3.4"-3.41" COAL if you wanna borrow it.

these are my two latest .264s. top one is M700/Lilja #5 1-8" three groove/ McM A1-3/BO M5/Jewell blah blah...

bottom one is M700/Brux Rem Sporter 1-8"/ McM Classic ADL/Jewell...

[Linked Image]

this is one i built a few years ago with a Krieger 1-8.5"

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd choose 7828 over Retumbo.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JP,
Good to hear from you as well. We need to catch up over the holidays.

Cheers, Matt.

Paul,
I own 6 or 7 of Mike's tubes and he has always been more than good to me. Not counting the ungodly accurate tubes. Nor how easy they clean up...

TMR,
I'll keep Retumbo on the starting powder list.

On the cans. In short I have a spare .338 can that only weighs 20 ouncs. And Advanced Armament is way good to me on prices. Thunderbeast and Zak Smith are new to the Suppressor business. I know what is behind Advanced Armament.

Would prefer to have a screw on Ti(which they don't make), titanium 300 SD, however I'll have to make do for the time being. From talking with a few folks there is not that much call for that much powder volume in the 6.5-6.8mm bore size. We shall see....

TOAD,
More than generous offer on your part and I greatly appreciate it.

You seem to be fairly heavily invested in the chambering. Any reloading suggestions?

Tom264,
Will give 7828 a shot as well...Thank you.

Gentlemen,
I would like to thank one and all for your input. Firsthand experience is simply impossible to beat. Thank you. (keep it coming;-)

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard good things about this .264 Win Mag.

Be interested in how it works out for you. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Retumbo and a Broughton 1-8 is what I'll be trying!!!! Good luck with Ur build, Burns you like Retumbo in your 264's right!?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia

TOAD,
More than generous offer on your part and I greatly appreciate it.

You seem to be fairly heavily invested in the chambering. Any reloading suggestions?

i usually have a bullet in mind when i have a rifle built, and when i get the rifle i seat that bullet to the lands and work up to pressure with and 7828. this usually only takes a few rounds, and from that point on, that rifle will shoot only that load. i don't use up a bunch of barrel life chasin' .2s when .5s are easily adequate in my world.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

T
TMR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
[quote=Matt in Virginia]

TMR,
I'll keep Retumbo on the starting powder list.

On the cans. In short I have a spare .338 can that only weighs 20 ouncs. And Advanced Armament is way good to me on prices. Thunderbeast and Zak Smith are new to the Suppressor business. I know what is behind Advanced Armament.

Would prefer to have a screw on Ti(which they don't make), titanium 300 SD, however I'll have to make do for the time being. From talking with a few folks there is not that much call for that much powder volume in the 6.5-6.8mm bore size. We shall see....

The thunderbeast 30P is a screw on TI can. They make a quick adapt one also, but the main one is a screw on. The reason I went away from the AA can's was purely accuracty issues. Had some baffle strikes from poor manufacturing on their end and to much shift. I screwed the 30P on my benchrest rifle a couple months ago and won the match out of 90 shooters. They are new, but they make precision products.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 53 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,647
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.