Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Picked up my 375 Ruger this evening and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not one of the elusive 20" sporter models from 2008 as I had previously thought. Instead, it is a lefty version of the matte/lam African currently/recently on Ruger's website!

I suppose the 20" sporter might be more rare/collectible, but all I wanted was a shooter. So, I am first grateful that the powers that be at Ruger allowed another run of the lefty matte laminates to be produced, and secondly plenty happy with the little extra velocity the 23" African barrel will offer.

Mine will wear the 2x7x32 Vortex Viper that currently resides on my lefty matte/lam Hawkeye 30-06. Vortex has a hell of a warranty, so we'll find out whether I need to use it here pretty soon.

My only quandary is whether to bed the action. The laminate stock "should" be stronger, but I don't want such a rare (for now) rifle to get damaged like the walnut African models are prone to doing.

And of course, pics on the way!

Oh, P.S. - Davidson's showed 18 of these in stock as of 5pm CST today...but they sure as hell weren't listed for the $676 I paid for mine.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bedding the action is like carrying a pistol. If you have it and don't need it, everything is fine. If you don't have it and do need it, things aren't so good.

My plan, anyway...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I called Ruger and asked if they would warranty the stock if it broke, They said they would if I did not modify it.

I then asked if they had any replacement LH laminate stocks they didn't so I bedded it.

Is your new LH rifle Matte Stainless? Does it have the nice open sights? Please post pics would like to see differences from the early LH SS 375 Rugers.

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/15/11.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting, looking forward to the pictures.

Gerry.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Here it is! I am going to put the scope on this weekends, but that post and big ol' front dot might just score a hog Saturday morning. 270gr Hornady Superformance connected to the pig bone should mean a good amount of sausage in the freezer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Oooooh. Purdy.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That is nice, mine is a early 20" without the barrel swivel mount! Went to Davidsons and they have them priced right, other lefties better hurry.

kk alaska

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I was wrong again. It is a 20" barrel with the African sight. I'll just shut up now....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you measure the length of the front end for me? I have a 20" barrel .338 RSM, and it has a standard-length stock -- which is too long in my opinion. Looking at your pictures, it strikes me that the stock length is properly applied (if on the wrong side whistle) rather than too long.

Might be just viewpoint, but seems that way.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They sure are nice guns, those guys that were price gougeing must be ticked now that Ruger made another run smile Makes sense they would make more it seems like there was quite a demand for them, the guy that imported mine into Canada had a long waiting list and tried to buy as many as he could.

Gerry.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by muledeer
Can you measure the length of the front end for me? I have a 20" barrel .338 RSM, and it has a standard-length stock -- which is too long in my opinion. Looking at your pictures, it strikes me that the stock length is properly applied (if on the wrong side whistle) rather than too long.

Might be just viewpoint, but seems that way.

Dennis

It's identical to my 30-06 except for the barrel, so it may just be the angle used for the pictures. From what you describe, mine is just as jacked up as yours. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK...thanks. I do agree with you -- it's jacked up... confused.

Dennis

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm a lefty and like Rugers too. Just bought a new LH .338 RCM for $500.00 Its not here yet. Any of you shooting the Matte finished blue gun? How is the finish?

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TXpitdog

Sweet rifle! If I were one of you 'sinister' people, I would definitely be grabbing one of those. I liked the early ones but the barrel band really adds. That seems like a terrific price for that rifle as well.

Though I'm a .375 BERNIE fan, for a lefty I could definitely live with that (course my No.1H is an "ambi"). smile

Oh yeah, I've put about 500 rounds through my No.1H (almost all heavy/max 300 gr loads) with its Viper 2-7 and have had zero problems. That is a phenonemal hunting scope, IMO.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Big Iron-

I searched and searched just last month for a deal on a LH RCM 338. Best I could do was $599. Plus S+H and a taste to my FFL and it was pretty spendy.

And I was pretty dissappointed when I opened the box and it was high lustre blued. Interested in what you actually recieve.

I also hopped on the bandwagon and snagged a LH 375 SS/Lam. And I may have gotten the new end of the 2nd run, cuz mine was cheaper than the above .338 RCM. Mine looks sweet with matching Zeiss 3-9 silver. This one also has the barrel band.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hey Jesse,
It was a gun that was listed on GB the last few days. It's Matte finished. I thought it might be used because there was a picture of it out of the box on a rifle stand. The dealer said he took it into his inventory new earlier this year. It's a 20" barrel with sights.

I'm anxious to get it. I was looking at some express sights from New England Custom Gun and thinking I'm gonna set it up with some and give it a go as a hiking around rifle for pigs. Seems like it might be a good setup for that kinda stuff. Its good to make 'em bleed. We hunt in some rugged, hilly, thick stiff and once in a while they'll haul a** on ya even if they're hit good.

I bid $500 and got it for $540 shipped

I can't figure out how to post a picture here.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MojoHand
... Viper 2-7 and have had zero problems. That is a phenonemal hunting scope, IMO.

My Vortex Viper 2x7x32 worked so perfectly on my Hawkeye 30-06 that I was hesitant to take it off. I put a Nikon Monarch UCC 3x9x40 on the '06, and I'm excited about the Viper going on the 375, b/c I plan to load it down like a 375 Winchester just as much as I intend to crank it up to full power.

Really looking forward to trying some of the great bullets for the 375. Will probably test them on hogs during the off season.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I looked at the 2 X 7 Viper and thought it was heavy compared to
the 2 X 7 Redfield Revolution. How much does the Viper weigh?

kk alaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Listed weight is 13 oz.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
those guys that were price gougeing must be ticked now that Ruger made another run smile

That's what I was thinking. laugh

I must be strong! I don't need one of these since I have a LH 416 Rem Mag. Must keep repeating that to myself!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (204guy, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.