Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Interested in either a 22-250 or 243...most likely a 243, and these two appear to be about the same weight. Any experience with both or one or the other to help guide my decision? I am mainly interested in a super light walking rifle that I could use to sting the occassional hog, coyote, or whitetail on my uncle's place. Shots would be within 100yds, and the rifle would be loaded with heavy for caliber bullets.

If there's another lefty bolt gun you're aware of that can compete with the Xbolt or T3 in the weight dept, feel free to chime in.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm not sure if xbolts have lefty, but I really like the ergonomics of them. They have that saftey right under you thumb for walking or stand sitting similer to my ruger tang safety that I love.
Can't knock the tikka for the qulity and price though. Go heft each one and then look at the budget.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard call but I will say the X-Bolt due to the action size matches the cal. The T3 has one size fit all....

Taking my rifle for a walk
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In an apples to apples comparison, you have to choose whether you prefer red delicious or golden delicious. Both are fine apples.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
X-Bolt. I've had both. Tikka's are fine rifles. X-Bolts are a cut above.

IC B2

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I would go with the x-bolt,those micro-hunter handle very nicely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd take a good long look at the Browning BLR.
The BLR Lightweight Pistol Grip is a very nice lightweight rifle for your intended uses. Great for left-handers too.
BLR is my favorite of all Brownings.

I don't really care for either the X-Bolt or the Tikka.
However, out of your two choices I would get the X-Bolt in .243WIN
As others have pointed out too; It has nice balance, light weight, a tang safety, and good magazines.

Good luck with whatever you get.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I don't have experience with the Brownings other than A Bolts...(which I love due to their short bolt throw). That said, I have two t3s and the fact I can drop the trigger pull to under 2# (ok, barely) I LOVE. I'm getting better with my trigger pull, but I still love the light crisp trigger of the T3. Tikkas also have one of the smoothest actions I've ever worked.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pick the one that feels the best. My FIL has the Browning in 243, and it was often fussy feeding the second and third cartridge depending on the bullet shape. The feed ramp to barrel area looked like the problem to me. The Tikka will work fine and be accurate out of the box. Son and I each have one. The Browning is perhaps finished a bit better, but will cost more than a Tikka T3.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Of the two choices, Tikka and dont look back!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had and have both. X-Bolt hands down.Have the micro in a 7/08. What a sweet handling rifle. With a 7/08 you wont have to load "heavy" and you'll have a shooter..... laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak to the X bolt, as I haven't shot one. I did, however, just pick up another T3 in 270. This new to me, but used, rifle, turned in these groups last week. 3 charge weights, 2 different bullet weights and manufacturers. They shoot pretty darn good. This is not unusual, in my experience with T3's, and the other Tikka's I've owned....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Tom
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Im a lefty looking for a .223 .... narrowed it down to the Tikka T3 lite stainless or Savage Weather Warrior. Hard to argue with withers out of the box accuracy rep.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
In an apples to apples comparison, you have to choose whether you prefer red delicious or golden delicious. Both are fine apples.

Yep, I've had both. They're both LW, accurate rifles. I liked the trigger on by Tikka better and sold the X-bolt. If you have the luxury of handling both, pick the one that fits you best....I think you'll be happy with either.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We shoult be getting the 25-06 x-bolt back from Browning today, after sending it to them a second time. The first time, they replaced the action and barrel. This time, we'll see.

Waiting to get one back from browning today. This is the second x-bolt that I have had experience with, both shot greater than 3 MOA with just about all loads.

We did get a couple hand loads to approach 2 MOA, but that was after several hundred rounds down the tube. I am certain this is not typical for these rifles, as the A-bolts I have shot have been generally 1.5 MOA or slightly better, and not picky.

My Tikkas: I have a 223, 270 WSM and a 25-06. They all shoot very well, and shoot well with multiple loads and bullet weights.

They are not as pretty, but pretty is as pretty does.

Last edited by shortside; 12/28/11.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shortside....sorry to hear of your misfortune on the x-bolt, that sucks. ALL my x-bolts: .300 Stainless Hunter, .270 Stainless Stalker, 7/08 micro hunter, 7/08 Stalker MOINF ....shoot under MOA with factory fodder. Browning should just give you a brand new firearm.....good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.