Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Finished the burying about an hour ago. My Maggie was an English Springer, aged 15. She saw me and my kids through abandonment by their mother, subsequent divorce and attendent pain, and the youngest boy's teenage stuff. She was always happy, and could make anyone else happier, too. She had a 30-command vocabulary, counting whistles & hand signals, and a more engaging personality than 95% of the humans I've known. Knew it was coming; glad I didn't have to watch her suffer. She just died. Timing's interesting- tomorrow that youngest son is getting married, the last of the kids to do so.
Don't guess I'll tell him yet, just me and his stepmom can handle it for now. She's pretty broken up too, she loved Mag 'cause Mag loved me.
Maggie lies under a juniper tree with a view of the Flattops, as deep as I could get her with a pick & shovel, with several hundred pounds of moss-rock arranged on top. I hope for as nice a spot myself. I hope to try to BE as nice, myself. I've a very long way to go. I've dealt with death in many animals and more humans. This is just absolute desolation. I hope everybody who loves a dog will
give them a pat or two for me and mine. Hie on, Maggie.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Truly sorry for your loss. I hate these threads.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You have my deepest sympathy and condolences - the loss of a great companion like Maggie is always incredibly painful. The dog I miss most was one of those 'happy' ones and they are special.

She sounds like a terrific pup, it's good that you had her and she had you.

Wishing you and your family the best.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My condolences frown I hate to hear it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Rainbow Bridge
(Author unknown)
Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially
close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends
so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and
comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed
are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The
animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was
left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His
bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green
grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling
together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again
caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never
absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you..
I loved you so---'twas Heaven here with you."

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It never seems right that they should have such short lives. Sorry to hear of your loss.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Sorry for you loss Hacklewrap, losing a good dog is tough. My turn is just around the corner, I have a german shorthair that will turn sixteen if she makes it to the end of April. I will give her a pat or two for you and yours tonight.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hacklewrap01
Finished the burying about an hour ago. My Maggie was an English Springer, aged 15. She saw me and my kids through abandonment by their mother, subsequent divorce and attendent pain, and the youngest boy's teenage stuff. She was always happy, and could make anyone else happier, too. She had a 30-command vocabulary, counting whistles & hand signals, and a more engaging personality than 95% of the humans I've known. Knew it was coming; glad I didn't have to watch her suffer. She just died. Timing's interesting- tomorrow that youngest son is getting married, the last of the kids to do so.
Don't guess I'll tell him yet, just me and his stepmom can handle it for now. She's pretty broken up too, she loved Mag 'cause Mag loved me.
Maggie lies under a juniper tree with a view of the Flattops, as deep as I could get her with a pick & shovel, with several hundred pounds of moss-rock arranged on top. I hope for as nice a spot myself. I hope to try to BE as nice, myself. I've a very long way to go. I've dealt with death in many animals and more humans. This is just absolute desolation. I hope everybody who loves a dog will
give them a pat or two for me and mine. Hie on, Maggie.
An excellent post, sir, and you have our condolences for your loss... RIP, Maggie..... frown

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds to me like Maggie was very well cared for. I am sorry for your loss, hacklewrap01.

Have an A1 Day!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry for your loss.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very , very sorry,

Beautiful and evocative Eulogy there, Bud,.....

.....sniff.

Godspeed, Maggie.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my Sadie just bfore Thanksgiving. She was 15 too.

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss. I have been there myself.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry for your loss. They just ain't built to last too long. I'm glad to hear there was little suffering for your "pup",amigo.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Pets are very hard to lose

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your tribute to Maggie had me pretty choked up. I am sitting here with our 3 year old Brittany, Willow on my lap thinking about our old girl we had to put down last fall. Mandy was 15 and was a great little bird dog and best friend. They sure leave a big hole in our hearts when they leave us. Savor the memories. My condolences for your loss.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You have my most sincere condolences.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My heartfelt thanks to you all. Guess Mag did kinda have it made- she had a "dog cabin" of her own to match our big log house here, with 2 trees in her own yard. She had another house at our Ozarks place, and another yard down there. She liked it better here, to the point that that's why we're not there for winter.
Thinking back, I guess I did my best for her like she did hers for me. Mine just wasn't nearly as good as hers. Geez, what a freakin' crybaby I am. Maybe it's that "Low T" or something.
Dang I miss the little bugger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd say from Maggie's perspective you gave her the best life possible for a dog cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,187
Posts18,523,903
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.