Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
I say this because every time I drive past the toyota dealerships around here, there's always plenty of toyota vehicles lined up for service work.

Really! You stopped in asking what the LINE was for?

of course it could have been for the free oil change

220 Swift still king.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

This is the kind of information I have been looking for. People that have experience with both trucks. In your opinion, what makes you feel the Tundra is the better truck?

I really like the thoughts of the EcoBoost but I don't want to be part of Ford's R&D for this engine. It is obviously a powerful engine but my concern is its complexity and its long term reliability.

Everything about the Tundra felt new and tight up to the day I traded it. It had 90K miles on it when it went to Ford. Suspension, steering, windows, interior, doors...everything was working and still felt new.

The only reason I got rid of it, is because my kids didn't fit in the back seat anymore. Mine was a 2006, so it was the smaller body style. Mine was an SR5 model so there wasn't anything fancy on it. Same with my current F-150 which is the XLT w/chrome and the Max Tow package.

I drove the ecoboost and the v-8. The Eco-boost was OK to me. The dealer sold plenty of both. The EB didn't get the gas mileage as advertised and the 5.0L v-8 has lots of power. I pull a #5500 boat/motor/gear around almost every weekend and you barely know it's back there.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's odd, since my 2011 F-150 has zero squeaks, rattles or vibrations. 13350 miles on it so far.
It's quieter than my sister's Toyota. Well, the exhaust is louder, but I'll take that! smile

I'm sorry to hear yours isn't satisfying you.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like the exhaust sound on it. It will sound great with duals when I get em...hell it sounds great now when you hit the go switch.

The rattle is something wrong with the hinges. They keep coming loose after a short time over bumps. I have 12,500 mi or so.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
During Four Wheeler Magazine's test of the Ford EcoBoost 4WD for the title of "Truck of the Year," they had one instance where the engine got too warm and it sort of went into a "sleeper mode" as it cooled down. They described it as a sluggish loss of power.
They also had one tank of gas that didn't get the fuel mileage it should have. Not stated just what, such as type of driving they were doing when that happend.
This is unacceptable to me in a 4WD hunting truck. It must deliever full power at all times, especially when under stress. E

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quit deliverin' pizzas and see if the hinges last longer? :O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's how I pay for it.

V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by tzone

This is the kind of information I have been looking for. People that have experience with both trucks. In your opinion, what makes you feel the Tundra is the better truck?

I really like the thoughts of the EcoBoost but I don't want to be part of Ford's R&D for this engine. It is obviously a powerful engine but my concern is its complexity and its long term reliability.

Everything about the Tundra felt new and tight up to the day I traded it. It had 90K miles on it when it went to Ford. Suspension, steering, windows, interior, doors...everything was working and still felt new.

The only reason I got rid of it, is because my kids didn't fit in the back seat anymore. Mine was a 2006, so it was the smaller body style. Mine was an SR5 model so there wasn't anything fancy on it. Same with my current F-150 which is the XLT w/chrome and the Max Tow package.

I drove the ecoboost and the v-8. The Eco-boost was OK to me. The dealer sold plenty of both. The EB didn't get the gas mileage as advertised and the 5.0L v-8 has lots of power. I pull a #5500 boat/motor/gear around almost every weekend and you barely know it's back there.

Thanks for the reply. The 5.0 has plenty of power for what I need and is surely a proven design.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Eremicus
During Four Wheeler Magazine's test of the Ford EcoBoost 4WD for the title of "Truck of the Year," they had one instance where the engine got too warm and it sort of went into a "sleeper mode" as it cooled down. They described it as a sluggish loss of power.
They also had one tank of gas that didn't get the fuel mileage it should have. Not stated just what, such as type of driving they were doing when that happend.
This is unacceptable to me in a 4WD hunting truck. It must deliever full power at all times, especially when under stress. E

I have read a few reports of odd engine misses and quirks as well as a few transmission issues on various F150 forums concerning the EcoBoost. I'm not sure I want to jump on the EcoBoost bandwagon just yet...especially since the 5.0L is a proven design. I do like the route Ford is going with the EcoBoost versus what GM and Dodge have done with the cylinder deactivation on their trucks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Swift
I say this because every time I drive past the toyota dealerships around here, there's always plenty of toyota vehicles lined up for service work.

Really! You stopped in asking what the LINE was for?

of course it could have been for the free oil change

Someone's panties are bunched up. Hell no I didn't stop in there. I wouldn't want to be seen in any foreign vehicle dealers lot. One thing as far as the "free oil change" BS. Judging by the number of vehicles there every day, the dealerships would have long since gone broke giving away all of that oil and labor for free.

A friend of mine HAD a toyota tundra for a while. He brought it in on two separate occasions for a warped dash and a bent tailgate. (He made the mistake of trying to put an atv into the box of his tundra.) BTW, he DID NOT mention getting a free oil change with his repair. He's now driving a Jeep.

IIRC, there was a member here extolling the virtues of his toyota tundra for quite some time. He finally let the cat out of the bag and told of all of the problems with it and that he had sold it. I believe that he went to Ford and bought a truck.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
BTW, he DID NOT mention getting a free oil change with his repair. He's now driving a Jeep.

Wow....talk about a step in the wrong direction.

IIRC, there was a member here extolling the virtues of his toyota tundra for quite some time. He finally let the cat out of the bag and told of all of the problems with it and that he had sold it. I believe that he went to Ford and bought a truck.

I've hauled my ATV in the back of my tundra dozens of times and it was the smaller Tundra. No problems there.

It wasn't me, if that's what you're getting at. I got the Ford for price reasons and I liked the way they look more than the tundra's. But I've said it before, it's a long way from being the quality of the Tundra I had. Not sayinig I won't buy another Ford, because in all likelyhood, I will. It really depends on the deal I can get. The only way I'll take another Chevy truck is if I win it. Even then I'm selling it right away.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by tzone
BTW, he DID NOT mention getting a free oil change with his repair. He's now driving a Jeep.

Wow....talk about a step in the wrong direction.

I've hauled my ATV in the back of my tundra dozens of times and it was the smaller Tundra. No problems there.

It wasn't me, if that's what you're getting at. I got the Ford for price reasons and I liked the way they look more than the tundra's. But I've said it before, it's a long way from being the quality of the Tundra I had. Not sayinig I won't buy another Ford, because in all likelyhood, I will. It really depends on the deal I can get. The only way I'll take another Chevy truck is if I win it. Even then I'm selling it right away.

tzone, I was not, and have not, referred to you in any of my posts. The tundra owner was from somewhere else.

I agree on the Jeep too. I would not buy a GM or a Chrysler product. They both took bailout money and NEITHER paid all of the money back.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
MIVHNTR,

You have made 5 or 6 posts in this thread, but have yet to give any experiences as to why you feel the F150 is better than the others I asked about. Do you even drive a F150 or other Ford truck?

Last edited by VAhuntr; 01/25/12.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
MIVHNTR,

You have made 5 or 6 posts in this thread, but have yet to give any experiences as to why you feel the F150 is better than the others I asked about. Do you even drive a F150 or other Ford truck?

LOL! Yes, I own a Ford truck(s). Actually, I have two of them right now. I have owned trucks all of my life. This includes F-150s, F-250s and Rangers. Many, many years ago, I owned Dodge and GM trucks.

The new F-150 has the towing capacity, engine options, cab configurations and dependability to make it the #1 selling truck for more than a few years. Check the facts yourself. My last F-150 was a very good truck and I had zero complaints with it. Furthermore, Ford is an American company that wasn't bailed out by the taxpayers.

This is one of my current Ford trucks, an F-250 Super Duty 4x4. As far as the foreign "trucks", bring it.

[Linked Image]

FJB Let's Go Brandon
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks for the reply and I do give Ford credit for not having to take bailout money to make it.

On a side note, you do realize that those Couriers, Rangers & Escapes utilized a lot of Mazda parts?

Last edited by VAhuntr; 01/26/12.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

tzone, I was not, and have not, referred to you in any of my posts. The tundra owner was from somewhere else.

I agree on the Jeep too. I would not buy a GM or a Chrysler product. They both took bailout money and NEITHER paid all of the money back.

I figured that was the case.

I have had no luck with Chrylser or GM products...I take that back. I had a 1988 Buick Regal GS that was a good car while I had it in the late 90's. The only problem I had with it the mass air flo sensor, but that car had over 100k on it at that point. It would boogie pretty good when I needed it to.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the reply and I do give Ford credit for not having to take bailout money to make it.

On a side note, you do realize that those Couriers, Rangers & Escapes utilized a lot of Mazda parts?

You do realize that Ford once owned 33.4% of Mazda? Further, Ford's 33.4% stake in Mazda gave Ford the controlling interest in Mazda. That being the case, it made good economic sense to do this, since Ford was the driving force behind the company. Until 2010 Ford still owned 11% of Mazda. In 2010 Ford sold off 8% of Mazda and kept 3%.

Now you not only know that Ford utilized Mazda parts, but now you know why they used them.

Link:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/11/ford-and-mazda-to-sign-divorce-papers-tomorrow/

Here's more information concerning Ford and ownership of other car companies.
During the 1990s, Ford Motor Company bought Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V

You do realize that Ford once owned 33.4% of Mazda? Further, Ford's 33.4% stake in Mazda gave Ford the controlling interest in Mazda. That being the case, it made good economic sense to do this, since Ford was the driving force behind the company. Until 2010 Ford still owned 11% of Mazda. In 2010 Ford sold off 8% of Mazda and kept 3%.

Now you not only know that Ford utilized Mazda parts, but now you know why they used them.

Link:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/11/ford-and-mazda-to-sign-divorce-papers-tomorrow/

Here's more information concerning Ford and ownership of other car companies.
During the 1990s, Ford Motor Company bought Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Aston Martin.

I did not know the percentages but was well aware of the fact that Ford had a controlling intrest in Mazda. IMO the management at Ford did a much better job than their couterparts at GM & Chrysler in aticipating a "rainy day".

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Add me to the list of those that bought a 2011 F150, we went for the 5 litre in a crewcab. Really nice truck, tons of power, acres of room, very comfortable and decent mileage. Not great side visibility, but everything is a tradeoff.We will be pulling our 5000 trailer all over the western states and Canada with it so got the trailer package and 3.73 gears. FWIW, previous truck was a 97 powerstroke, which was a good tow vehicle, a beast in "town", and was wearing out all round the motor at 300K.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'm looking for some real world experiences(good or bad) and observations/opinions with any of these trucks. and the GM's would be the 5.3 liter.

I have the 5.3 in a GMC Sierra extended cab 1500. 4:10 gears, tow package, and an automatic. It averages 14.5 mpg all around. Will get 16 to 18 on the highway but around the farm and driving into town on the gravel its usually around 13 to 14. Mileage drops in the winter. Its been reliable and at 52K has given me no major trouble.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.