Print Thread
Hop To
P
PennDog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Any information on this specific gun would be appreciated.....local pawn shop has one for $350 (it has been used - the bore and most of the metal is in good shape (90%+) the stock I would rate at 60-70%). I have heard these guns are very accurate....how would it compare to say a Remington 541-s, CZ 452/453, Anschutz, Cooper, etc.....? Am thinking I should just go ahead and pick it up??

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all!
PennDog

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PennDog
Any information on this specific gun would be appreciated.....local pawn shop has one for $350 (it has been used - the bore and most of the metal is in good shape (90%+) the stock I would rate at 60-70%). I have heard these guns are very accurate....how would it compare to say a Remington 541-s, CZ 452/453, Anschutz, Cooper, etc.....? Am thinking I should just go ahead and pick it up??

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all!
PennDog

The k-22 rifle is basically the Mauser 201. I have owned several of them.

They are very accurate and the gun you describe is actually worth at least $500+ in that condition.

In terms of it's accuracy and overall workmanship, the only currently made 22 bolt rifles that are equal or better are the Anschutz 54 action rifles and the Coopers.

One word of caution. If you go back to buy the gun, carefully examine the little pop up sheet metal shell ejector mechanism that is under the bolt right behind the magazine.

The little ejector arm on that part has been known to fail. You will not get a replacement for that part easily..

Other than that, they are a well made rifle and $350 for one is a steal.

Last edited by jim62; 12/22/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
PennDog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Jim....I am planning on picking it up today (if it is still there!!)

PennDog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Passed a few over the years, regrettably - the 201....

HIGH quality, and likely the best buy sandwiched betwwen the 541/CZ/77-22 and the higher priced Anschutz/Cooper/Kimber/Sako's.

Parts/clips would be the concern. One of those I never owned, but wished I had...front locking lugs IIRC. Neat action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the 80's I had one for awhile. It was made by Voere. It was a very nice well made rifle and If memory serves, also pillar bedded. At that time I was always looking for something more accurate and had a bunch of rimfires. This particular rifle wasn't only an average shooter, and not as accurate as the 541S or a couple others I had. One thing I didn't care for was the forward locking lugs which made the breech difficult to access.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've got one - although they were marked as a Voere 2000 in NZ (Kleinguenther was the US importer, I believe). I bought the only one I've ever seen, and it was probably the best rifle purchase I've made.

As others have said - VERY high quality. Twin front lugs, locking into a stellite (cobalt-chromium) receiver insert. Low-lift bolt, fully adjustable trigger, pillar bedded (I bedded mine, but if it's Kleinguenther marked it's probably already been done.)

I also own an Anschutz 54 to compare it to, and I'd take the Kleinguenther over the Anschutz. It's lighter and better balanced while still being solid. There are a couple of foibles to be aware of, however:
1) Ejection can be a bit weak - but a slight bend to the extractor claws fixed that.
2) As mentioned, it's hard to get access to the breech for single shot feeding. If this is important to you, you can always make up a single shot adaptor as I did.

Here's mine, including the bedding and single shot adaptor.

Rimfirecentral thread

Mine is a sporting rifle with a sporting scope, and a sporting (not target) shooter behind the butt. Even I managed 4 successive 5 shot groups averaging less than 5mm centre to centre - with mid-priced target ammo (25m).

I really hope you snapped it up - please post photo's if you did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both the 201 and k-22. You will be very pleased with the rifle. If not I will take it off your hands. Even allow you a small profit. Parts can be a problem. KDF in Texas has some but they will cost you a first born son. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
PennDog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for all the information.....as I said previously the stock is in need of some TLC (PaulNZ you gave me some hope, otherwise I may need to put a nicer piece of wood on it). The metal, other than the magazine, is in 90+% shape. This gun was definitely used and shows it but it shoots great (at 35 yds I had several groups 3/8" (five shots) with some low end Federal Target). When the weather breaks and I get the stock refinished I'll give it a more thorough testing with several brands of ammo grin

PennDog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.