Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh, and I fell down a cliff elk hunting and broke my left humerus. It hurt.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a climbing stand come loose about twenty feet up a tree and fell with it till it "caught" again about five feet off of the ground. Torn coveralls, nice set of bruised ribs (both sides), lost some skin off of both forearms. When I got my wind back I thanked anyone that would listen it was not any worse.

Got lucky, and smarter!

Last edited by fyshbum; 12/05/11.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, a couple times.

A couple years ago my son shot a doe with my Whelen. The shot was a little longer than he judged and the bullet broke both front legs of the deer. The ensuing "tracking" job was comical as heck. Wish I had a camera as the "boys" chased this deer through the woods at night with a flashlight and a knife tied to the end of a stick trying to stab it to death. Each time they approached the deer and stabbed it, the deer would jump up and hop away while the boys would fall over each other trying to get out of the way of the deer. It was hilarious! Then "dad" decided it was bedtime and time to end the ordeal, so "dad" approached the deer from its blind side and "fell" on it with my...I mean, "his" forearm holding the deer down by the neck while the boys cut its throat. The impact of "dad's" not insiginificant body weight on dad's forearm completely severed dad's supraspinatus tendon of the shoulder. Dad said OUCH! That hurt a lot and required open surgery and an extended recovery period.

Another time I was rabbit hunting with my wife, FIL, and BIL. I was on one side of the fencerow, and my BIL on the other, when a rabbit and the beagles took off down the fencerow. They went a hundred yards, made a small circle, and came back down the fencerow toward us. I saw my BIL following the rabbit with his 20 gauge with the muzzle making its way toward me. I was thinking "he won't shoot me cause I'm dressed in full blaze orange and surely he..." BOOM! One of the pellets hit my face about an eighth-inch from my left eye toward the nose. I said OUCH! and proceeded to bleed like a stuck hog from the hole and from my nose. Everybody but me panicked immediately, as evidenced from the reaction of the shooter and from the horrified looks on their faces. After I checked to see that my eye was still working, I directed my FIL to get the truck and meet me at the nearest road for a trip to the hospital. The pellet must have hit the skull and bounced back out because they didn't find it on the X-ray. No major, permanent damage that day, thank God, but I did have a heckuva shiner for a couple weeks.

Of course I am blood brothers with many a dead deer, which I'm sure many of us are.

Then there was the time I tripped on a stick and fell and my slung Marlin 1895G went off and nearly missed my head. I don't think I would have felt that one if it did hit me.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Building permanent deer stands in my youth. A friend and I had just assembled the Taj Mahal of all deer stands and were in the process of cutting some 3-4" aspen to use for rungs on the ladder into the stand. Turned out that we had run out of pole barn nails and were down to 4" screws. I notched the ends of the aspen rungs so that the screws would work and proceeded to put them up. As I got each step up I would straddle the last one and sit on it as I screwed the next one in. When I got to the last one I had to reach way down to grab the last rung from my buddy. The rung I was sitting on gave way and I fell to the next one which continued in a chain reaction until I hit the ground. Talk about blue balls! Of course the guy on the ground was in tears laughing. Learned that green aspen is pretty poor building material and that 4" sheetrock type screws aren't very strong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ranger1
Building permanent deer stands in my youth. A friend and I had just assembled the Taj Mahal of all deer stands and were in the process of cutting some 3-4" aspen to use for rungs on the ladder into the stand. Turned out that we had run out of pole barn nails and were down to 4" screws. I notched the ends of the aspen rungs so that the screws would work and proceeded to put them up. As I got each step up I would straddle the last one and sit on it as I screwed the next one in. When I got to the last one I had to reach way down to grab the last rung from my buddy. The rung I was sitting on gave way and I fell to the next one which continued in a chain reaction until I hit the ground. Talk about blue balls! Of course the guy on the ground was in tears laughing. Learned that green aspen is pretty poor building material and that 4" sheetrock type screws aren't very strong.

Oh, that would make a super video for AFV! LMAO!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ranger1
The rung I was sitting on gave way and I fell to the next one which continued in a chain reaction until I hit the ground. Talk about blue balls! Of course the guy on the ground was in tears laughing.

TFF!

Didn't you inspire a Wiley Coyote - Roadrunner episode?

I am sure that I have seen that chain reaction as Wiley came down a ladder! smile

John

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My dad has always said, "If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As my dad always said:

"Try to get as good an education as you can because, stupid hurts"

I think both our fathers were speaking from more than the theoretical aspect of this subject ie:

I once followed a blood trail from the table saw to the house. At the end of the trail was my father wrapping his freshly cut thumb. When I asked him what happened he looked at me and said he was in a hurry and had "one more cut" and did not use the push through tool sitting on the saw table. You know the one he told me "always use".

Then there was the time we had just gotten a new trolling motor for our jon boat. He wanted to see how strong it was so he tried to stop it with his hand......

God I hate Genetics....

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Back in the late 70's early 80's
Reached for my recuve when a deer apraoched my stand
and just brushed a finger on a new broad head.
Never even felt the cut.
But the spurting blood got attention soon.

Never carried an uncovered arrer ever since!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The worst I've done is deciding one hot day in Sept. that it would be a lot more pleasant going bow hunting in shorts. I failed to take the sagebrush into account. Before the day was over, my legs were scratched to pieces in the stuff, with sweat running into the scratches. I will NEVER again hunt in shorts.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Slipped down he side of a mountain; snow, shale and leaves. Dislocated right shoulder, used a tree to snap it back in. Long walk out, and ended the season.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
A guy hunting with my old man straddled an electric fence.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Back in the late 70's early 80's
Reached for my recuve when a deer apraoched my stand
and just brushed a finger on a new broad head.
Never even felt the cut.
But the spurting blood got attention soon.

Never carried an uncovered arrer ever since!

Ha, now I can't believe I ever did stuff like that (uncovered broad heads)

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
cracked ribs, cuts, bumps.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hurt myself hunting? I always thought it was required. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I nearly bust a gut last year. Was laughing at my buddy after I pointed to the nuts on the "doe" he had just shot and said "I didn't know does had these". grin

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to pheasant hunt across KS (about 400mi) on a weekend. Drive camper all night, hunt two days, drive home. One year I fell backwards from a fence on the last day. I broke my tailbone and had to ride 400mi home. That's a pain in the a$$.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First trip to AK, was not supposed to be solo but wound up that way when my partner no showed. Killed a caribou and while rushing to cut him up before daylight was gone I put the the smallest of small slices with the tip of the knife on my left forearm on top of the veins that go to your wrist. It barely drew blood but it made me think of what I had in my firstaid kit should it have been worse. I was not prepared at that time but now carry a quick clot sponge and dressings. A valuable lesson not an injury.
Only minor injury suffered was on a goat hunt. I had my gear, half the camp, and a full bull body Mt goat cape on my back coming off the hill. I killed it late in the day and we spiked out on top for the night. Got a little rain that night just enough to make is greasy coming off the hill. I had the friggin instep crampons in my pack and should have put them on. Sure enough left foot slid out on me, bow in left hand down I went bent it backwards pretty good and dislocated it. Poping it back in wasn't bad at all but I tore up a bunch of something in there cause it swelled up in a hurry and big. Gotta say though never have any issues from the sprain to this day. Thats the 1 and only time I had an injury.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Was shooting barn pigeons one time in the winter.had a pile of them on the ice of the pond by the barn.farmer's lab smelled them but wouldn't pick them up.Iwas sure the ice would hold me if would hold that fat lab.have you ever fell in a honeypond before?kind of took my breath away.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just a few cuts... Couple on my fingers that made things doing really hard... Its amazing how hard stuff is to do when the right thumb (being right handed) takes a good gash to it...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.