Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
It's a shame Zamberlan doesn't make an insulated model... they've talked about it but it's never appeared to my knowledge. They're excellent boots.

Look at the Lowa's that have the Climashield in them. I never did try them with insoles, it may very well be what I'm rocking by this fall.

I agree, the 400 gram level of insulation is about right in a boot for Montana. I usually run that in a Danner from September bow season all the way through the finisher.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
GB1

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by Brad
It's a shame Zamberlan doesn't make an insulated model... they've talked about it but it's never appeared to my knowledge. They're excellent boots.

Look at the Lowa's that have the Climashield in them.

I had Lowa's... they KILLED my feet.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Brad:
I'm curious as to the "type" of foot you have where Lowas kill your feet.
Does this have to do with "high volume vs low volume", wide or narrow heel ?

I realize everyone's feet are different and I'm fortunate that Lowas fit me like a custom boot so I frequently recommend them. The glove leather lining in some models is especially nice.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Brad,

Any more use out of the Crispi boots? I too have a narrow heel with a D width and am having a difficult time finding a boot that doesn't give me blisters on steep ascents. I'm currently using the Hanwag Alaska GTX, and while they are beautifully made, I can't seem to lock the heel in place no matter how I tie the laces. How many miles do you give a pair of boots for break-in before saying they're a no-go?

Thanks,

Jason

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just happened across this thread and gave my Cabelas Mountain Hunters and they are made in Romania, any idea what boots come out of that country. I too would like to find another pair before mine shoot craps.

Thanks,
Nick

IC B2

S
S
I have had a very hard time trying to find boots that fit my narrow heel and wideish foot and are able to lock my heel in place. Tried the Lowa Sheep Hunters, Kentrek Mountain Extreme, and Cabelas Meindel Perfekts. None would lock my heel in place. I also tried the Asalo Sassalongs which locked my heel in place but were a bit narrow and short (may have to try a 1/2 longer and the wide version of those). After reading this forum I bought a pair of the Crispi Hunters. The Crispi's seem to be the boot for my foot! I tried them around the house and couldn't detect any noticeable heel lift. Then finally decided to try them outside and took them out deer hunting for a day and the heel stayed locked in place as well. Glad I found this forum as I was beginning to worry that I'd never find a boot that fit and not to mention shipping boots back and forth to/from AK is expensive. Thanks!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Regarding the Event lining, I have a pair of Schnee's Hyalites with the Event lining and my feet sweat like none other in those boots. They pinch my ankles at the base as well.

I tried a pair of Pronghorns once and they pinched me in the same place. They were my brothers and I borrowed them for a day to go on an impromptu elk hunt with a friend. Same size feet, he loves them, and I don't like the feel of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hanwag Alaska GTX boot system.

http://www.lathropandsons.com/

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i love my pronghorns. i've always been a die hard danner fan. i wear the new danner hikers for hiking. i saw somewhere that it's the boot the 10th mtn. division has issued to it's troops. love danners.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DayPacker
Hanwag Alaska GTX boot system.

http://www.lathropandsons.com/

EXACTLY!!!!
Got mine last summer. Put 'em on right out of the box & took a 1 1/2 mile hike on a ski trail with my packboard & a bag of water softener salt. Wore 'em up north on our sheep/caribou hunter with nary a problem. Best boot I ever used. grin grin
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SeanD
I wonder who made the cabelas mountain hunters, I think they are italian? I like mine. Wonder if it is this company? The build does not look that far off.

I also have a narrow heel, when they measure me i'm told its actually a B width.

From what I understand italian boots are often built on narrow lasts? Scarpas fit me well. These boots look great. Meindels did not fit. Fit is everything. Good luck.

I thought it was Miendel, I could be wrong but I could swear that the mountain hunter by cabbalas was the same boot as the Miendel Canada boot. The big difference between the boots were the cheaper leather on the cabela boot but there was insulation in it which was not offered in the Miendel line up. I have been using a pair of miendel Tiagas for 6 years and can't seem to kill them and am also running a pair of the Lowa GtX extremes. Both are really comfy boots but lack the insulation that your looking for Brad.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SeanD
I wonder who made the cabelas mountain hunters, I think they are italian?

Originally Posted by wildone
I thought it was Miendel

Nope, not Miendel... they were initially made in Italy, then production went to Romania (the lower-labor-cost Italian equivalent). The Mountain Hunters came with 400 Gram Thinsulate... damn I miss those boots!

Update: spent the hunting season with my Crispi's. Nice. FAR more comfortable than the Kenetreks.

Got a small hot-spot/blister on my smaller right foot heel, left foot perfect (as usual)... going to do some research to "shrink" the right boot. A thicker orthotic on that side may help.

Regardless, they'll stay with me for now.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Brad, ditto for results on the Mountain Hunters--would you say the Crispi outperformed the Hanwags for you in the heel?

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
i love my pronghorns. i've always been a die hard danner fan. i wear the new danner hikers for hiking. i saw somewhere that it's the boot the 10th mtn. division has issued to it's troops. love danners.
I have a pair of Danner Combat Hikers and with superfeet's copper insole they are damn comfortable. I have the same insole in my super rainforests and will probably get another set to go in my Raptors, Grouse, and Frontiers. I am a Danner man I just didn't like the old Pronghorns and I haven't tried the new ones. I recommend everyone else take a look at the new Copper Superfeets though, damn comfy.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tomk
Brad, ditto for results on the Mountain Hunters--would you say the Crispi outperformed the Hanwags for you in the heel?

The Hanwag is about the only 400-ish gram "Mountain Hunting Boot" I haven't tried... friends say they're stiff and built a bit big... sounds like the Lowa to me, which didn't work... but who knows?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
have not tried the insulated model, only the un-insulated--had good luck with them but boots seem to be a bit like barrels...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GrosVentreGeorge
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
I have a pair of Danner Combat Hikers and with superfeet's copper insole they are damn comfortable. I have the same insole in my super rainforests and will probably get another set to go in my Raptors, Grouse, and Frontiers. I am a Danner man I just didn't like the old Pronghorns and I haven't tried the new ones. I recommend everyone else take a look at the new Copper Superfeets though, damn comfy.
i'll have to try the insoles. my feet are pretty dang caloused. i go barefoot alot of the time so i don't usually have trouble with the soles of my feet.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 42 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,892
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.