Print Thread
Hop To
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anyone shoot a Ruger SP101 22LR? I am curious if anyone has shot one and thier reviews.
I would be curious how it compares to a S&W 617. I have a theory but have not been able to shoot the Ruger

Thanks Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot one Saturday. Nice little gun. I didn't have a K22 to compare it to but I have had a couple in the past. I think it compares closer to the Kit gun. It is pure Ruger; trigger a little stiff but shoots good. At about twenty yds. I was able to get a five-shot group of about 2". Probably shoot better by someone with younger eyes.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
boatboy,

Got both, I too feel it it is closer to the Kit gun (S&W Mod. 63). the 63 weighs 26 ounces , the SP-101 30 ounces and the S&W 17 (no underlug) weighs 40 ounces (by memory, but within an ounce or two).

My preliminary results are the same as lastrounds, haven't tried an assortment of ammo thru it to see what it likes best yet. I've shelved it until I can play with the springs and do something about the hammer spur.

Nice looking gun, the single action trigger could use some work and the double action is way heavy. The hammer spur is cheese grater sharp (will pretty much cut skin), is a stupid oversight or some such thing because I just looked at Rugers new SP-101 in 357 (4 inch barrel) and the hammer spur does not have this problem! My M 17 and both 63's (one is the newer 3 inch barrel) all have better triggers.

Is one better than the other...You bet;

My M17 with it's 6 inch barrel is best for target or field where weight/size is not a concern...

My S&W 63's is best for a trail/kit gun where size and weight are a concern,

and the SP-101 .22 is best if a few ounces/slightly larger size are not a concern to you, in a revolver that will probably last a little longer than forever. At least after the trigger has been cleaned up and the hammer spur de-horned.

YMMV

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Great reports Thanks

See you need one of each!

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one and like it. I do agree with the guys above about the hammer spur, trigger, weight, etc.

I may be in the minority, but I like the fiber-optic front sight too. It's green and gathers a ton of light at dusk.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had fiber optic sights that I couldn't stand, but I'm with shortactionsmoker on this. The SP-101 .22 and my 3 inch model 63 both have them...fortunately they are both flat on top so I don't feel it stops you from a good sight picture. Yet the fiber optic kind of helps draw your eye to it. I've got a Tactical Solutions Fiber optic on a Ruger MK III, has a yellow fiber and it really draws your eye to it , even when it is dusky...better than on the aforementioned revolvers.

"See you need one of each!"
Sold a few rifles last year...If there is one thing I've learned over the years it is to convert gun money back into guns or it is soon gone and you can't account for it... (unless of course there are pressing bills).

YMMV

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/11/12.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have both the new Sp101 .22 and a 617 6" barrel. The SP and 617 both shoot amazing with the edge in accuracy going to the 617 (because of the 6" barrel I'm sure). The trigger and hammer operation goes also to the 617 as it is allot smoother. My SP trigger was one of the worst factory triggers I have ever shot. Allot of polishing and stoning had to be done to get it to acceptable levels.

All around, I love my SP. Is it as nice as my Smith? No. However, its $200-$250 cheaper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.