-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both will do fine. I'd opt for the 270's.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitively the 270. While I agree one of the virtues of the TSX is you can go with a lower weight, the 250 is way too light for me and in that weight I'd go with a .33 anyway. More speed and LOTS more penetration.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I know this is an Africa forum, but I was hoping those that have knowledge w/ the .375 will answer this.
I am very fond of the TTSX's in all my rifles. I recently purchased a .375 HH that I was going to take w/ me as a back up rifle when I take my boys or friends out to hunt black bears. The only reason for me having this is for the rare (if any) occurance of running into a brown bear on my way into/out of the bait station.

Would you recommend the 270gr or the 250gr TTSX that may open a little faster?

The 250 won't open any faster either will open in a 1" thick block of bllistics gelatin
Either will work just fine 20 grains ain't a deal breaker

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ou76
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Paul very cool. Beautiful eland BTW. grin

I have an ample supply of the old 250 BBC's but am anxcious to try the new Barnes TTSX myself.

Bob...I will take those 30+ year old 250 BBCs off your hands...so you can try the new Barnes TTSXs...from what I read those Barnes TTSXs will work better..... grin

OU: This is a matter of opinion,like anything else;and I expect these 250 gr TTSX will be excellent....but I would never... ever trade a Bitterroot for a Barnes X....nor do I know any Bitterroot users,with experience with the bullet.....who would.

There may be some out there, but I don't know who they are smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Dang!! cry

Last edited by ou76; 02/11/11.

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I would say the 250gr but try some .270 heads and play around with loads. My .375 weatherby seems to like the 250gr best but thats just my rifle.

Thank you, to all of you for the nice comments about the Eland.
I have restocked the rifle and also fitted a recoil reducer inside the butt. It shoots like a dream and I wouldn't change a thing about the rifle or my loads.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by paul375; 02/18/11.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jorge, I'm not altogether sure I buy the .338 argument. While you can argue that 250 grains in the .338 will out-penetrate the same in .375, that argument also supposes that one does own a .338.

I, for one, have a couple of 300 magnums and a .375, and I've not heard a sound argument for needing a .338. There's not an elk alive that won't fall to a .300, and I'd much prefer the .375 for bear or moose. There are NO flies on the .338, but it's always been one of those "compromise" calibers to me.

Last edited by richardca99; 02/19/11.

Chris
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know this is an Africa forum, but I was hoping those that have knowledge w/ the .375 will answer this.
I am very fond of the TTSX's in all my rifles. I recently purchased a .375 HH that I was going to take w/ me as a back up rifle when I take my boys or friends out to hunt black bears. The only reason for me having this is for the rare (if any) occurance of running into a brown bear on my way into/out of the bait station.

For this specific application, the 270 grain for me. If you're taking it for the express purpose of backing-up for bear, I'd hedge my bets with the 270. If you said that you were primarily elk hunting and may come across a bear, I'd take the 250, as it will shoot flatter.

Chris
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by richardca99
Jorge, I'm not altogether I buy the .338 argument. While you can argue that 250 grains in the .338 will out-penetrate the same in .375, that argument also supposes that one does own a .338.

I, for one, have a couple of 300 magnums and a .375, and I've not heard a sound argument for needing a .338. There's not an elk alive that won't fall to a .300, and I'd much prefer the .375 for bear or moose. There are NO flies on the .338, but it's always been one of those "compromise" calibers to me.

Can't argue with that premise. The 33s have always been a "twenner" caliber. I own three 375s and were I to go for brown bear, I'd take my 340 Weatherby with 250 TSX @ 2800 plus. I guess I have way too many guns. I have the same battery as you do as well and I would have no qualms to go after same with a 300 of any flavor. As far as elk sized animals my choice for the 338/340 is the 210 TTSX. Now given a ONE rifle choice to hunt all the aforementioned, the 33s are in my view a better all arounder. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by richardca99
I've been waiting for this bullet, and it's finally on the street (supposedly).

I'm guessing that 2800-2900 fps will be achievable with the new Tipped TSX, though I haven't seen load data.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4950532/375_250_grain_TTSX#Post4950532

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried the 270gr TSX out of two .375 H&H rifles, and while they shot good, I wasn't pleased with the results on wet newsprint. Muzzle velocity was just over 2800 fps and the impact was at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

The bullet on the left is a 7mm 160gr XLC, muzzle velocity ~2950fps.
[Linked Image]

I wrote to Barnes and they said the bullet is designed for tough game, but given that the shot was only 100 yards, and that wet newsprint isn't exactly soft, I was worried about the bullet opening up properly at longer ranges - or even at 100 yards.

Perhaps I had a bad batch, but I recall a fellow from the Yukon also complaining about this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the flat-faced copper Xs which seemed typical of the older XFBs I recovered in certain calibers. The bullet in the middle seems to match the TSXs I've caught in game more recently.

[Linked Image]
One of two 235 grain 375s used to put a moose down (twice) ; 2600 fps/150+/- yards.

[Linked Image]
And a 120 7mm from caribou.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you were using the rifle ONLY for backup protection for bears (black or brown), I'm sure either a 250grTTSX or 270grTSx would work fine. But you're not going to be shooting very far, and IMO you're probably better off with a 300gr TSX or Partition or something.

There's nothing terribly wrong with pushing a lighter bullet faster, and I know the TSXs/TTSXs are solid, but there's no need to do that for short-range bear protection, and if there is any difference in a difficult situation, the heavier bullets would work the best. Here's what a 300gr Partition (travelling out of my .375 Wby about 2,550 fps on impact according to my chrono and some simple math) did on a double lung shot (smashing a few ribs along the way) before it exitied on the far side of the bear. The bullet went through about 30-inches of bear and kept on going.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3200 fps from my 378 Lazermark?
I will take that!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bears are easy to shoot through and thin through the shoulders. The 270 tsx does it all. It will exit an eland bull broadside most of the time which is far harder then any brown bear.

Eland are not at the same level of stress to follow up but they are huge and solidly built. I've seen the 270tsx exit them frequently.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RedLeg
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Most everyone with a 24" barrel will get 2800fps easy with a 270 grain bullet. I never was able to see much advantage dropping further. The 270's at 2800 shoot flatter then the 180's from a 30/06

Dropping to the 250's my trajectory was only equal not any better. The 270's arrive with an additional 20 grains of weight. I fooled with the 250's for about a year on and off and never saw the real advantage to them. If you load them to max velocity of almost 2900 the recoil is significant, I think more harsh then the 300grain bullets. That high velocity with a 250 grain bullet was noticeable!

The 270 was the happy medium for range, impact, penetration, and recoil in my opinion.

Absolutely agree. The 270 gr TSX or variant has just a bit more penetration to make it a really effective dual purpose bullet for the DG/PG single rifle hunt. For PG only the 250 would be fine, but in that case, why not a .30 or .33.

X three. There is a limit as to how much we can ignore the SD issue and the 270gr will shoot flatter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Most everyone with a 24" barrel will get 2800fps easy with a 270 grain bullet. I never was able to see much advantage dropping further. The 270's at 2800 shoot flatter then the 180's from a 30/06

Dropping to the 250's my trajectory was only equal not any better. The 270's arrive with an additional 20 grains of weight. I fooled with the 250's for about a year on and off and never saw the real advantage to them. If you load them to max velocity of almost 2900 the recoil is significant, I think more harsh then the 300grain bullets. That high velocity with a 250 grain bullet was noticeable!

The 270 was the happy medium for range, impact, penetration, and recoil in my opinion.

I doubt the recoil will match that of the big 338s (340 B for example) at 2900 fps with a
250 and also that the trajectory will, practically, be any steeper. The 375 just keeps getting better. smile

I have two boxes of these on the shelf Just waiting their turn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

If you were using the rifle ONLY for backup protection for bears (black or brown), I'm sure either a 250grTTSX or 270grTSx would work fine. But you're not going to be shooting very far, and IMO you're probably better off with a 300gr TSX or Partition or something.

There's nothing terribly wrong with pushing a lighter bullet faster, and I know the TSXs/TTSXs are solid, but there's no need to do that for short-range bear protection, and if there is any difference in a difficult situation, the heavier bullets would work the best. Here's what a 300gr Partition (travelling out of my .375 Wby about 2,550 fps on impact according to my chrono and some simple math) did on a double lung shot (smashing a few ribs along the way) before it exitied on the far side of the bear. The bullet went through about 30-inches of bear and kept on going.

[Linked Image]

Nice bear.

No doubt that the 270 TSX will work, but penetration with the TSX and TTSX is a given. I'll trade a little (or a lot) of unnecessary penetration for increased expansion (more consistent in TTSX as well) when choosing a TSX. The TSX and its derivatives get better & better as the bullets get lighter & lighter. I've recovered a few TSX and TTSX bullets, but only a small percentage compared to traditional cup & core and NPTs--they are hard to stop.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tried the 270 gr TSX to see what the hype was.
No hype, if it is the real deal

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One was from over 300 yards with great penatration and ended in the neck of gemsbok. The second one close range and ranged into the floating collar bone area of a lion. Either one was enough expansion. Both were driven well through vitals and wrecked the nervous system. I don't use my 338 much anymore. Not that it won't work, it's just I like shooting the 270 gr TSX. Making shots at 450 yards proved no obstacle as well on small antelope. I won't try lighter because I know I don't need too

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Recovered this 270g TSX on the far shoulder of this eland. This was from a Ruger 375 and going around 2700 fps at about 100 yards. I'd call that picture perfect performance. I'm moving to AK this summer and that Ruger is going with me!

Last edited by stephenwhite; 01/15/12.

"To study without a book is to sail an uncharted sea, While to study only from books is not to go to sea at all" Sir William Osler
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.